Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Aid Kits?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Nick Savage, Sep 13, 2006.

1. How many people carry a first aid kit on a ride? (or in ya cage for that matter!)

2. Oh I don't know, I'd say... mmmm... possibly... maybe... :-k... about 23,435 in the greater melbourne area on any given day??

But I do carry one on any decent ride... and there's one in the car always.

Actually, I've also got a car emergency "first aid" ->kit <- . Useful thing actually.
  3. Havent taken one on a bike yet, but always took one on long trips in the car. St Jphns training kinda drills it into ya :D
  4. My service manual under my seat was replaced with my 1st Aid Kit as soon as I got the bike.

I carry a 1st Response Kit in the car all the time.

5. one in each vehicle, and the bike has a scaled down version
  6. Yep there one tucked nicely away under my seat.
  7. Car yes, bike no - and I should.
  8. I carry a first aid kit of sorts everywhere i go. I got a "sea to summit" water proof bag from Anaconda and filled it with the things that i thought i would need (eg saline, bandaids, pocket mask etc)
    The smallest bag they have would easily be small enough to hold an emergency blanket, pocket mask, saline and a few other things and could be placed under the seat of most bikes.
    For our 4WD we have a much larger kit and are considering getting an oxygen cylinder as well.

9. I carry a kit in the car, and I used to carry a kit on the bike... but I'm waiting for the rack to be fitted to the new Bandit 1200 as at the moment I have nowhere to carry my bike kit.
  10. Yes in both. St John's make a small kit, to which I add some panadol and sunscreen to complete.
  11. I am seriously considering getting a first aid kit which can fit under the bike seat. Any recommendation?
  12. Yeah i've been meaning to just get a small one to take everywhere, but I always end up thinking that if I ever have a stack i'll be needing more than a first aid kit... I'll be needing something with flashing lights.
  13. I dont carry a first aid kit even though its a good thing...
  14. Is it every three years you have to renew the first aid cert.?
  15. I've got a big one in the boot of my car... never know when you'll come across an accident.

Been trying to work out how to attach one to a bike... I know it's easy to stick one in a backpack but it's hard to think of sometimes.

Is there a little pouch that could be clipped to the sissy bars or something like that?
  16. With the luck I've had riding with people this year, I decided a few months ago to grab a kit and take it on all group rides.

I went to the post office and got the zip-lock bag one for $50 and have stuck a few extra bits and pieces in it, useful stuff like panadol etc.

Well, people have continued crashing but there hasn't really been a situation in which the kit has been necessary yet... When Lenna dropped on the Spur, the car driver she ran into was a very capable first aider and had all the gear at the ready.

I do recommend people pick up a kit and learn how to use it. Speak to Kerry at the MRA about when their next Motorcycle-focused first aid course is going to be run, I found it very enlightening as well as a good opportunity to perform intimate acts on Matt232 and Robsalvv.
  17. IMO your money would be better spent on a first aid course rather than a kit.
    First aid kits are overrated, what is a band-aid going to do for a shotgun wound?
    Most people need pain relief after an accident, first aid kits don’t have anything for pain.
  18. Whilst I agree that a first aid course is more important a basic first aid kit (and it can be something you put together yourself) is a help.

Gloves to protect from body fluids, a face mask to protect yourself from infection when performing EAR and a trianglular bandage (which doubles as a pad to slow serious bleeding can make a big difference and will fit into almost zero space.

Pain relief my be what people want, but it isn't really what they need... what they need is to survive.
  19. :WStupid:

Most of the stuff in a first aid kit is either for the protection of the first aider, or else it could be improvised from torn clothing etc. Still, better to have a good clean bandage available to try to stem serious bleeding or dress a puncture wound than to be tearing up your undies at a crash scene.