Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Aid kit for bikes?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Gromit, May 22, 2006.

1. I keep a first aid kit in my car, and I've been thinking about making up a (small) kit to keep under the bike's seat.

So I was wondering - how many of us take first aid gear along when we ride, and what items do we take?

I'm not talking about chucking a full kit in the panniers as you head off on a long tour, more the sort of essential supplies you can keep handy at all times.

It'd be interesting to know if anyone markets a first aid kit for motorcyclists, too.

2. Thanks for the link. :)

I'd be interested to know how many riders carry first aid kits.
  3. I had a bandaid in my wallet once, hehe does that count
  4. Nope :roll: :p :grin:
  5. In the end I bought a small kit from the chemist that fits neatly under the seat and has some useful bits and pieces. I'll add a couple of other things and leave it at that.
  6. I've just done a first aid course with St Johns, the instructor did not recommend their first aid kits.

According to him (20years experience motorcycling and 40? years as an ambo), all you need are
    2-3 first aid dressings,
    couple of compression bandages,
    fabric bandaids (more water resistant than plastic),
    good sizzors,
    2 triagular bandages,
    couple of plastic bags for body parts (fingers, toes,...),
    one of those pop-up masks for rescue breathing - as these can be used with helmet in place,
    and an emergency thermal blanket (the $5 type from the outdoor shops)
    Also mobile phone - use "112" instead of "000" to get emergency services.

"112" will automatically boost the phones output from the normal 0.5Watts to 2.5Watts and use the best signal no matter what service provider. This means even if the phone is showing no coverage, using 112 you may still get a call out.

With leathers, never remove/cut them unless there is an injury that is bleeding quite badly - this can be found out by feeling for a squishy area on a head to toe check.
    NEVER remove a helmet unless absolutley necessary.

But the main thing do a First Aid course.