Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First 2 weeks of the 109

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by peter-reebok, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bought a M109 2 weeks ago, and thought I would add a small missive about the first 2000 km.

First impressions
    This bike is HARD WORK around roundabouts. at 40 kmh, first is too low a gear, and 2nd chugs.
    And it is a long bike.
    Power - BRING IT ON!
    Gearchanges - not the normal knife through butter SUZUKI gearbox, bit more agricultural.
    Everything else - yeah!.
    Dealer is 300 metres from my house, ride home took over 30 km!. Scraped the lhs peg for the first time.
    Stock exhaust is not too quiet - may leave this one alone!

After 500 klms
    Roundabouts are ok now (not brilliant), bike is obviously tight, cant wait to open it up a bit. Feeling more at ease with the bike.
    Oil check process sux big time.
    Fuel gauge is almost worthless, has 5 segments (full), at 185kms, 4 are still lit up, at 200 klms, 3 are lit up, at 230 klms, 2 are lit up, Then fuel light comes on, but you can only put 15 l in a 19.5 L tank.
    Rear tyre is now worn all the way over to the tyre edge. Front has a 20 mm chicken strip.
    Filtering at traffic is fine, just need bigger gaps!

After 1000 klms
    Son was following me, and asked why I lit up the rear when changng gears. Just doing what I can son,.
    First svc was cheaper than I thought, and the actually did change the final drive oil etc, (cos I checked for myself after).
    Low speed turns are still my problem.
    Have been on a few rides with some other 109 owners, and there is no issue with the bikes handling, even with that fat 240 rear tyre.
    Mt Dandy Tourist rd is fine to do at a steady 90kmh, even on the 35kmh corners. Getting to grips with leaning that tyre. Gear selection much cleaner.

After 1500 klms
    Nice to open the bike up a bit. Passing is just too easy on this bike, a twist of the wrist, and speed jumps by 50kmh. Short bursts of 200kmh confirm that seating position does not make for long high speed runs!. The wind pressure! Bike still seems to have plenty in reserve at that speed though, Gotta luv power!.

At 2000 klms (2 weeks LOL)
    Very Easy bike to ride. Power can be modulated with the right hand, and you get to choose when you light up the rear, or just trickle along.
    There is too much chrome on this bike, needs more time cleaning than last bike.

I have no hesitation in recommending this bike. It is too much fun in traffic, on a long ride, or just to run down the street.
    It gets lots of attention, we had one road gang near Foster, put down their tools and watched it go by, pointing and smiling. Of course, we were doing 130 round a 85kmh corner, having a ball. Didnt scrape the pegs though, even then.
    I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Now I am starting to think the rear looks a bit odd, may have to reposition the reg plate and indicators, and I wonder how much power a PCIII and a dyno session can unleash. And a set of straight thru pipes?
    Back to work tomorrow, time to test it as a commuter.
  2. Sounds great, enjoy mate.
    Any pics yet?
  3. What an analytical mind you have, Peter, or did you take notes as you went along? Wanting more power sounds like you've come to grips with it very well.

Are you considering a small fairing, even a removeable one, for long trips? Seems a shame that the wind blast would spoil your fun when it's such a ball in every other way.
  4. Good write up, glad you're enjoying the big Suzi

Can you explain the following for those of us who don't know the bike?

5. These are an absolutely stunning looking bike. Hearing one with an open set of pipes would be interesting, being a high revving 1800cc twin and all. Have fun mate :cool:
  6. IT is a dry sump, and being clever little japs, the oil galleries drain into each other all over the place.

Only 2 ways to check the oil level accurately.
    1. drain it and measure the amount, then refill with that amount (if ok).
    2. Run engine on idle for 15 minutes FROM COLD, then stand bike upright (no centre stand) for 3 minutes with engine turned off, then remove oil dipstick, wipe clean, and refit WITHOUT screwing in. Then remove and inspect. If you need to add oil, you repeat the process WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD. Checking after a ride will yield the wrong level on the dipstick.

If too much oil is present, it pukes out the LHS air cleaner (through the crankcase breather tube) and then down the side of the bike. After cleaning the bike, intake system, remove and replace the filters and clean the senosrs properly.

Hasnt happened to me, but I was a bit paranoid about it, so after checking the oil, sucked out a 100 ml to get it to the right level.

After writing the post this morning, went for a 150klm blast through the hills, and rundabouts and low speed corners are not a problem any longer. 2nd gear pulls cleanly from 25kmh now, so must be broken in!.
  7. Yeah the trx has a dry sump as well and the oil check procedure is a bit more in depth then your run of the mill japanese bike. Nowhere near as complex as yours tho, which is a good thing, cos some of em burn a lot of oil (yamaha says this is normal) :shock: