Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by junglist, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Somewhere not far from Kulnurra on Saturday arvo heading south, I came across a bunch of firewood scattered across the road. Amidst the flickering afternoon shadows I didn't get a decent look before I hit, bit of air, little wobble, then settled again. I suspect the culprit was about as thick as an arm, but now I have a sizable bend in my rim and a near-pinched front tyre (there's marks where the rim 'bit').

People failing to contain their carriage infuriates me. :evil:
  2. if ya go back that way, can ya pick it up ? i am freezin and nearly outta wood here.

On the other hand, shit happens to motorcyclists, prepare,anticipate,react. Hopefully u can get ya rim rerolled, and check ya tire carefully, even a minor hit can weaken a tire.
  3. the tyre needs replacing shortly so no real loss there. its got about 12k km on it and was only one of those OEM 'we give you less tread than a normal new tyre' jobbies.

I can probably knock the rim back in to shape with a bit of wood, but will get the advice of my local mechanic.

I was impressed with how stable the bike was during and after such a knock, i'd say that the tyre took most of the hit at 32psi. I checked for bulges and leaks straight afterwards and again when i reached my destination, it seemed to hold up pretty well. For the return ride i put a bit of extra air in to ensure a tight seal on the rim and it didn't falter for the next 240ish kms on backroads and dirt, including plenty of corrugations and ruts.
  4. bugger

this happens too much, I remember a thread not that long ago with heaps of examples of people being stupid, I've personally been behind a ute when a bag of concrete slid off (flat tray)...

hope you get your bike fixed up quick :)