Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fireblade 900s - Are they good, and why are they cheap?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Not a bike I'm thinking of buying anytime soon (I'm happy with the Gixxef for the time being), but I do trawl the bike sales sites, and I've noticed mid-90s and later Fireblade 900s advertised pretty cheap. Is there something dodgy about them, or just a heap of them out there, or...?

2. They got duffed up in road tests by the YZF1000, R1 and ZX-9R. I don't think they're bad bikes, but there's better in that vintage.

3. There's one on Bikesales (resprayed so probably been down the road) for 3 grand ffs, and a less dodgy looking one under 5.

4. Mainly because they're old.

They didnt handle as well as most of their competitors either - especially the YZF's.

But on power to weight they're still pretty sweet.

5. I dont think those bikes are any cheaper than their competition of similar age,

There is a 2002 ZX9 for sale on this site for a similar price to the 2000 blade you mentioned,

and the '95 blade loks about the right price for a 12 year old sports bike.

I think there are a lot of bargains around in older sportsbikes, a lot of people shoping for a sports bike want the latest and greatest,

That leaves some good buying for people who dont need their bike to be a fashion statement

6. Sports bikes depreciate quicker... Those prices don't seem surprising at all.

It's a market driven by fashion.

7. Yes of course.
    Fashion dictates that I must buy a light bike that handles and goes well instead of an old bike that handles like an elephant and is heavy.
    Knew there had to be a reason in there somewhere.

8. A CBR1000RR is a claimed 176kg and a '95 blade is a claimed 183kg, not enough of a difference to classify one bike as light and the other heavy,

An older bike will most likely need money spent on the suspension, but should be able to be set up to handle well, probably not as well as the latest model, but good enough for many people

I am not arguing that an older bike is better than a new bike, just that an older bike can provide good value if you dont need to have the latest model,

9. I'm with Kols.

Sportsbikes are very much fashion objects, in some ways. Tanya, I'm pretty sure you'll find those 'old' bikes (Mid to late nineties is old now, jesus!) handle pretty damn well. I suppose your statement there helps support Kols' comment.

I've been toying with the idea of streetfightering an 'old' 600 for a while now. Insurance would kill me, however. And I can't be stuffed doing 16 valves :roll:

10. I think Tanya (the cheeky, remember!) may have been talking more about all sportsbikes versus other kinds of bikes, rather than new sports vs old... but I'll let her speak for herself.

And yeah, Tenoq's ZX9 is very nice indeed, and would be high on the list if I were actually in the market, rather than just stealing the boss's time trawling bikesales. ;)

11. The early ones were nasty handlers and really were aimed at the 750s than anything else.

Latter on everybody else come to the party.

Also the 16" front wheel works against them.

The pick is the early 00s models, but they are not as cheap as they should be.

They are a slightly better all rounder then the R1, though nowhere near a rf900 (which was almost as good a sports bike). You can even tour on them if you are keen.

12. The early ones were nasty handlers and really were aimed at the 750s than anything else.

Latter on everybody else come to the party.

Also the 16" front wheel works against them.

The pick is the early 00s models, but they are not as cheap as they should be.

They are a slightly better all rounder then the R1, though nowhere near a rf900 (which was almost as good a sports bike). You can even tour on them if you are keen.

13. I'm biased but I can vouch there's definitely nothing wrong with them... The 01 is probably the sweetest (told you I was biased) although as stated earlier you can't really go wrong with anything 00 to 03 when looking for an older blade.

Its a got a certain old school charm which I like although it does look a little 'porky' and not so aggresive when next to an 07 model. At a 170kg and 135bhp its not a lard-ass though. If you spend a little time fettling the suspension and don't pick a lemon initially I think its a lot of bike for your buck. I wouldn't turn down the offer of a new blade (except the butt-ugly '08 model) but I love the bike I have - plenty of poke, real-world usability, not too uncomfortable on longer rides. I was lucky - one previous owner who was an old-boy who'd used it mainly as a tourer so it hadn't been abused and it's never given me an issue.

As for bikes being partly fashion statements, I'd tend to agree. I can get nowhere near the edge of this bikes performance envelope. I think it's probably only a small percentage of riders who would feel the limitations of any early '00 sport bikes over the latest - assuming they've been looked after and maintained. If you can afford a new model go for it but I don't think you *have* to buy new in order to get excellent performance and handling. I guess we're all just lucky to be living in a time where reasonable dollars gets you excellent machinery, no matter what make/model floats your boat.

14. I've got a 98 900RR and its a pretty sweet bike. Obviously its heavier and not as fast as later model sportsbikes but they still go very fast and corner nicely.

15. Its nice to see so many fans of bikes of the '90s!

buying new or second hand is a matter of personal choice,

for me many '90s bikes offer all I need at a good price,

for others '90s bikes wont suit their needs,

it is a matter of personal priorities, neither option is right or wrong

16. If you ditch the 17" wheel or buy one of the later ones they're still a pretty competent beast. I would certainly have no issues owning one, except for the sad bastard early 90's mantra "If you wanna get laid ride a fireblade"

17. I'm looking at buying a bike soon that weighs 160kg, stops on a dime and has 125hp at the rear wheel.. and I'm doing that because I want to make a fashion statement?
    Or maybe I appreciate having a good machine, I know it will be reliable, has warranty etc?

Bravus, there's nothing wrong with the bikes you listed, I like the old blades myself, I just don't think saying people buy new bikes because of *fashion* is correct. Test ride an old blade, then hop on a new one and then tell me the difference is fashion.

18. Are you saying that the look of your bike has no influence in your purchasing decision?

I know that it does in my bike purchases,

I fully accept that their are a range of reasons people buy new bikes; waranty, features, performance, styling, etc

they are better than older bikes and they cost more,

to some the benefits are worth the extra cost, to others they aren't

I will admit that my use of the words "fashion statement" may not have been the wisest choice as it does imply a choice made based solely on looks,

If you change my original sentence to;

"that leaves some good buying for people who dont mind their bikes looking outdated"

Does that sound better?

19. closer :) but I still think you're over emphasing the looks of a bike.

My current bike looks absolutely awesome.. but I want something lighter that handles better. If my decision was based on looks alone I'd be keeping the bike I have.

You need to buy the bike that makes you happy.. I had a good look at a 929 blade last night, and the guy who owns it loves it, just don't overlook how far technology has come since them, and dismiss those changes light heartedly.