Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fire and Theft for 250?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by Steve250, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hi, I'm looking at getting a 1st bike pretty soon so want to find out where to get insurance from. I'm probably going to get a sporty 250 and want third party with fire and theft, I rang up SGIC and they have 3rd party but dont do fire and theft for motorbikes! I've had a friend have their motorbike stolen recently so I definately want this included. Rang up CGU for a quote and used a Ninja ZX2R for a sample but they didnt know what that was! Who here has 3rd party fire and theft and who do they go through?

2. I know AAMI does it. I didn't think about it until I already went for 3rd party property with NRMA. I've heard that theft + fire protection is often not far off the cost of comprehensive. But if you're in a dodgy area and not in a secure garage, I'd definitely recommend it..

3. Try Western QBE for bike insurance - they underwrite Swan, and have a motorcycle department who know what you are talking about. And a lot cheaper than some, even for a new rider like me!

4. Just rang up AAMI, they dont do third party either and they also couldnt find ZX2R or even ZXR250, are these bikes really rare?

5. No, but they're imports.

6. So does that mean that no-one insures them? or I have to ask specifically for imported bikes?

7. It means usually you
    A- either pay more, often much more
    B- They won't touch it with a barge pole

This is one of the downsides to grey imports

8. If you have a 250, I highly recommend either fire or theft! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.

9. Why not just go full comprehensive? As a new rider, statistics say you're gonna drop it. Better to have it covered than have it sit in the garage in pieces.

10. Umm thanks...some of us do have to start somewhere! I'm not exactly rich so I think a decent 250 will do for a start!

Well I can get 3rd party for $120 not including fire and theft, but comprehensive will cost me $1800 or more, thats nearly half the cost of the bike so really not worth it for me! I was hoping I could get fire and theft for a few hundred but it doesnt look like I can get it at all

Also I've found if I go through motorbike finance they will only give it to me if I have comprehensive insurance :(

Some1 doesnt want me to get a motorbike soon!