Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fined for No P Plate (Fell Off) - Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Lucanos, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey All,

I was recently pulled over by NSW Highway Patrol. They initially alleged that I had been travelling at 104 in a 90 zone (omitting the fact that they had been following me at a distance of only about 3-6 metres and pushing me to that speed). But instead decided to question me regarding having no P-plate on the back of my bike. I advised the officer that it had evidently been blown off. He issued me an infringement notice (2 points & $189 fine).

Riding a VTR250, there is next to nowhere to display an L/P Plate on the back of the bike without obscuring a light (brake or indicator), the number plate, or the rear reflector. I have since ziplocked 4 of the suckers together (as the last one ripped off, leaving the hole I had used to mount it behind) and mounted it halfway behind the plate (because it is the only way to protect it from the wind).

Has anyone else been fined in a similar circumstance?
    Is it worth my while trying to appeal the fine?
  2. Yes and yes, and yes I got off.

Write to them explaining that as a new rider its important to you that the L plate was there, it was not your intention that the plate fell off.

Go on to point out that the RTA does not provide any information about mounting plates to motorcycles, no regulations about it, and that you have now secured it correctly (include photos). You'll get off.
  3. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    i swear, officer, it was there when i left!

s-s-s-sure it fell off!

do what phiz says, if your record is unblemished, you may just get a thorough warning. if you have a few naughties, no chance.
  4. Next time if you're wearing a backpack.. Stick it on the back of your bag.

but yes that is a good reason to fight about as you are not aware that it was blown off.

And Why do we have to display this? USA dont have to do it.

Its soo anoying that we have to waste our own time to worry for just a plastic thing to show if we are L/P's
  5. And thankfully there are many differences between Australian and American laws. Lets hope it stays that way.
  6. Come live in Queensland - they will not fine you for such silly things...

(Only need P plates on cars, not bikes)
  7. You are supposed to display the plates but bikes do lose things.
    I went to put the new reg sticker on the ZZR on Sat and bugger me the holder had vanished. :eek:
  8. I punched some circular holes in my P plate with a knife and then used some cable ties to attach it to the number plate (its partially under the numberplate).

Has not come off since i got on my Ps, very faded.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.