Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Fined for breaking down on freeway

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Flylo, May 14, 2012.

1. Yes. That's right! Although it doesn't have any reference to motorbikes, I'm guessing it applies to riders as well. Regardless, it is just ridiculous!

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/neglect-your-car-pay-a-fine/20120514-1ylrv.html

I used to say "it could only happen in America". Now I'm saying, more often than I'd like, "it could only happen in Victoria".

2. Would be pretty easy to challenge in court for force majeur (spelling?). There are some things that just can't be planned for or avoided, like staking a tyre because another vehicle had an insecure load, or a bad batch of fuel stalls your vehicle and it can't restart.

3. These motoring groups wouldnt happen to have mechanics as members and stand to profit from increases in servicing would they?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well there wouldnt be a problem if they built Expressways with brakedown lanes like anyone with half a brain would.Maybe at the same time add twice the number of lanes so its not at maximum capasity 10 minutes before its opened.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Increased servicing wont fix everything....

My car broke down only two days ago as the ignition module shit itself.... It's not a serviceable part and isn't something that should need it's functionality tested.

Fining people for there cars breaking down is stupid, and just takes away money that could have been spent to fix the problem in the first place.

6. Increased servicing wont fix everything....

My car broke down only two days ago as the ignition module shit itself.... It's not a serviceable part and isn't something that should need it's functionality tested.

Fining people for there cars breaking down is stupid, and just takes away money that could have been spent to fix the problem in the first place.

7. will a fine really stop a car from breaking down a second time?

amazing

• Like Like x 1
  8. they are right though that something needs to be done,
    it amazes me the number of breakdowns. and it usually ruins traffic, and its not just on the freeays but in main roads like maroondah highway.

i prefer the second option of the cars having to undergo a road worthy after braking down, but rather then make it mandatory, put it at the discretion of the services on the scene.

9. :LOL:

Justus.

10. People would be too busy paying their fines and wouldn't have enough for the servicing costs.

11. If they want to do this then I wonder how they would feel if people started NOT paying road tolls whenever the traffic gets banked up or DEMAND to have a free train fair because the train was delayed.

12. It would never take off and would be a huge vote loser if this ever did.
    Just motoring groups with vested interests blowing smoke again
    RACV even suggested reinstating the speed cameras on the westgate bridge.

13. Cars breaking down, I'm not sure of. I can see their side of the arguement with unroadworthy cars, but really it would only be a very small perercent. And if thats the case they can already fine and/or defect them.

In New Zealand you can be fined for running out of petrol on the motorways. Thats probably a better idea.

14. I think this is the main target of the article.

In relation to cars being serviced more frequently, in my experience a large percentage of car fires occur in vehicles that have very recently been serviced.

15. Is a little bit of forethought really that hard?

Scenario; driver notices a problem with his/her car - steering wobble, loss of brakes, smoke.... whatever. Thinks, "I'd better not stop here, I'll get reamed by the popo." continues on until fault causes the car to crash, explode.. whatever, killing multiple innocent parties.

Farkn numpties and their farkn big 'ideas'.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I'm starting to feel claustraphobic with the preponderous amount of rules and regulations and fines and lowered speed limits and nanny state shit of all kinds...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Im hearing that. Getting hard to breathe

18. new number plate slogan is in order...

Victoria, the Police State.

19. Coming from NZ, I was surprised to find out I don't need to get a roadworthy every 6 months (or annually) over here. Thought that was pretty sweet, but then I started to notice the huge amount of vehicles that were quite obviously not "roadworthy".

I think being fined for breaking down (only in peak times) is a stupid idea. But I think there is some merit in fining people for not having road worthy vehicles.

Or just make annual road worthy's mandatory. No road worthy = no registration.

• Like Like x 1
  20. This is how it is in New South Wales if your car is more than 3 years old. I lived up there for 5 years and basically if you weren't in good with a mechanic you got shafted every year.

Rarely do you hear "...the unroadworthiness of the vehicle caused the collision"
    it usually has something to do with the driver being pissed or tonking along way above his or her limits and chucking it away in a pole.