Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fined for 50% over the speed limit

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by mattb, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Well, not me, thankfully. It was my great-grandfather. On the 21st September.

In 1905.

As published in The Argus.

MOTORIST FINED.

Before Hooper and Yager, J.P.’s, at the Fitzroy court on Wednesday, Frederick J. Clarke was proceeded against for having driven a motor-car at a greater speed than allowed by the local by-law.

Constable Exe**** said:- On August 2* the defendant drove a motor-car along Queen’s-parade, Clifton Hill, at a speed of 12 miles an hour. The by-law sets the maximum speed for motor-cars at eight miles an hour.

The defendant was fined */* **** *** ******.

Queens Parade is just around the corner from me. I'll be watching my speed along there from now on.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bloody hoon!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Imagine those poor kittens.
    He should've been locked up!

4. I'm more worried about the baby turtles.

Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm a bit too young to know how to convert mph into kph.. so ill just google that.
    one moment.

19.312128 kph

lol at the speed limit.

your post Censored the fine how much was it?

6. I wonder is the laser was calibrated! I think you you ask for the case to be re-opened, and the fine overturned, with interest!

7. Laser in 1905 was science fiction, probably didnt know the word laser back then,

8. Those asterix are mine - the newspaper print is illegible in this parts. I've linked to the newspaper scan in the post.

Yes, I too wondered how the heck they determined the speed.

9. yep just noticed the link, thought it was spam (you know the ebay links that pop up?)

i had a squizz and yeah its pretty dark.. i see what u did.

10. Just for fun here are a couple more, quite a few years on (I believe my great-grandfather was quite young and driving a shop vehicle to deliver food goods in the speeding case) - his wife/my great-grandmother 1933, then both of them in 1940.

BABY NEGLECTED

Mother Sent to Gaol

Nellie Clarke, aged 37 years, David street, Carlton, was charged at the Carlton Court with having, on September 20th, caused her child Raymond, aged seven months to be neglected, such neglect appearing likely to result in causing bodily suffering or permanent injury to the health of the child. She was also charged with having used indecent language in a public place and with having assaulted Plain clothes Constable F. J. Adam in the execution of his duty.

Constable Adam said that on September 30 he saw Mrs. Clarke lying very drunk on a bed. The child was being nursed by a drunk** man. Mrs Beattie, an inspector for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, took the baby and Mrs. Clarke followed her and witness to the street. She used indecent language and threw rubbish in witness's face. She kicked skin off his legs, split his lip, and threw a brick at him.

A previous sentence of imprisonment for two months for having neglected a child at Fitzroy was admitted by Mrs. Clarke. She was fined£2, with 7/6 cost, on the charge of indecent language, and £2 for having assulted Constable Adam. In each case default Was imprisonment for 14 days. On the charge of neglect she was sentenced to Imprisonment for three months.

MAN ACQUITTED OF ASSAULT

Domestic Quarrel

After a woman had given evidence in the Criminal Court yesterday, in a case in which her husband had been charged with having assaulted her, occasioning actual bodily harm, the Jury, at the direction of Mr Justice Gavan Duffy, brought in a verdict of not guilty and theman was discharged.

The accused was Frederick James Clarke, of Greensborough. The doctor who treated Mrs Clarke stated that her injuries required 30 stitches.

Mr Book, KC., in opening the Crown case, said that the wife had received her injuries in a brawl with her husband. After some words she attacked him with a toasting fork. The wife received severe injuries about the head and neck, and cuts behind the left ear. Under a mattress in a bedroom at the house, two pocket knives were found and there was blood on one of them. There was also blood on the handle of a bread knife.

Mrs Clarke said that her husband came home about 2.30 pm. She said, “You drunken --- where have you been?” He replied, “Shut up or I will choke you.” She ran at him with a toasting fork, and lunged at him. He picked up a knife to defend himself. She denied that 30stitches had been inserted in her wounds, and said that the stitches numbered only a dozen and one.

When another witness entered the witness-box His Honour said that he did not wish to hear any more evidence. In addressing the Jury he said that some-times wives were difficult creatures both at home and abroad. The jury would have observed that the wife did not want to say anything that would reflect on her husband In the circumstances the best thing would be to find the accused not guilty.

Without leaving the box the foreman announced that that was the unanimous verdict of the Jury.

In discharging the accused His Honour said that he should go home and treat his wife better after the way she had treated him in the witness box.

11. you can go faster than that on a pushbike without even going downhill

12. Yes to that! He could be one of the forefathers of what has become "Hooning"
    I bow to our Master..

13. When cars first came out only the rich could afford them,
    and basically any offences were covered by a fine.

A certain american regularly used to run over children while racing around
    the streets of new york, and just paid the fines. The figure of deaths was astonishing.

Motor races were also held where drivers ran people over and continued racing.
    like when Smithers runs over Bart.
    the driver said 'it is nothing to pay fines for such sport'

14. That's my birthday :D

Waiting for my name to be in the newspaper now for doing something on my bike :)

15. Any fit person should be able to hit that on foot.

16. Exactly the same technology that they often use today - the 'expert' opinion of a police officer (?)

Bloody hell Matt - how did your family survive into the present day?
    (some of mine were very similar, and within living memory).

17. Speed measurement in the early part of the 20th century in the UK was usually by timing vehicles over a measured distance using a stop-watch. Given the close ties between the UK and Australia at the time I'd assume similar methods would be used. Copper at start of measured section would be hidden from oncoming motorists but visible to his colleague at end of section. As target vehicle passed him he would signal to his mate to start the watch, which would then be stopped as the vehicle passed the second copper. A third copper would then, if necessary, stop the vehicle and do the booking. Sort of an early, short distance, point to point cam :D.

Then, as now, it removed a lot of police resources from doing useful stuff but it was worth it for the revenue generation potential.

18. Great Grandma was a bit feisty, I observe.

19. Mum told me that Nellie was found dead on the staircase, but I don't know any more details - cannot find the incident in the Trove search http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper?q= The other maternal side (My mother's maternal grandparents, rather than her paternal grandparents) was worse - that great grandmother of mine dated Squizzy Taylor, and had six husbands, one of whom she killed (he shot at her, she smashed a light globe in his eyes, and then smashed and smashed his head till he was dead. It was determined as self-defence. She was a fearful woman even into old age). She put my Nan in an orphanage when after marrying a man who came with his own kids, and that's how Nan met Pop, who was taken off Nellie at an earlier time (perhaps the reference in that news report to a prior neglect case? - She was drunk, the house set on fire, and a stranger saved the baby) and so was in the boy's orphanage. I don't know this other great-grandmother's full name yet (just started gathering stuff this weekend), so cannot find her (a Clark too, without an 'e', which is a bit damn ubiquitous!).

I recommend people to use the search engine I just linked. Already QuarterWit has found that a woman, prone to feinting, 'fell' out of a window through lattice work from his house in 1923 and died...her husband was apparently 'polishing' his boots in the next room.

20. Sound a lot like my in-laws :D.