Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finding the true milleage of a bike.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by thecptn v1.1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I have been on the market for a mid 90s sports bike, but it occurred to me that a lot of these bikes are advertised with 30k, maybe 40k on the clock, but that always struck me as odd, after 15 or so years on the road that does seem rather a low number to pull, I don't doubt that there are true 40k bikes out there, but after 15 years? my doubts are doubly increased knowing the vast majority of bikes out there only go to 100k and reset, it wouldn't be that hard also for a dubious owner to change speedo unit for one with desired mileage, to be honest im a bit concerned that I might pick something up with 140k not 40k, any way of really knowing? do the RTA keep a database of the how many ks it really has clocked up?

2. i doubt any of them would have 140, rather than 40.

most of them are just weekend bikes, so it figures :)
  3. Some bikes may have clocked over 100k or had the odometer wound back/replaced to hide high mileage - but you should be able to tell this from how well it runs. Be wary of owners who "warm it up for you" when you inspect it, insist on seeing it start from cold.

It is also possible that low kms are genuine as its not uncommon for bikes to sit unused in a shed for long periods of time. This introduces its own problems though with corrosion and degradation of parts that aren't regularly maintained. Again this is really something you need to get a feel for when inspecting the bike and chatting to the owner. If something doesn't seem quite right then walk away and keep looking.

End of the day how the bikes been treated is a lot more important than what the odometer says. I'd much rather buy a bike with 80k on the clock that's been used regularly and fastidiously maintained than something with 30k that's been neglected for the last 10 years.
  4. The RTA don't keep a database of how many klms a bike does. Japan keep a log of sorts for bikes but generally only the importers who hand pick them from Oz would know. I'm sure they would like to get a low mileage bike and bring it over here to sell.
    Privately, i bought a 1992 CBR250rr last year with 13k on the clock. The owner had the papers from Japan so I knew it was genuine. He also had about 9 other bikes and he was a collector so he just maintaned them all and drooled over them in his massive garage.

Go with waht JD said; just look at the condition of the bike, see how kit rides, listen to the engine, check for bent frame, rust etc - all the usual pre-purchase checks. At the end of the day, i treat buying any second hand bike the same. You could buy any model that's 2 years old but it could have been flogged, not maintained properly etc and have worse problems than a 15 year old bike. I'd take each pre-owned bike on it's own merits and go from there.

5. Given that the typical sportsbike gets ridden over say 4-5 months of the year, only usually one day a weekend and a "big" ride is a tank of fuel (250km) for a sportsbike rider, it's entirely plausible.
  6. I agree with what everyone has said! lol :p

I'll be here till thursday, You have been a great audiance!
    Don't forget to tip your waitress!
    Thankyou, and goodnight!
  7. I am looking at 4 year old bikes with less than 5000 on them so I would say it is possible to have 40k in 15 years.
  8. Well that's comforting, a guess there is more fair weather riders then I realised!
  9. I know lots of people who wouldn't have ridden over 40K in there entire 20+ year riding careers. I'd argue it's probably the norm.

I was recently dragged along by a friend on a group ride of about a dozen middle aged riders (mostly sport bikes from Sydney) to lead them through the Southern Highlands, as I know the area well, and you should have heard the whining about the distance covered in a day. ...and the whining from their 'other halves' about the length of their absence from domestic duties. :)
  10. rofl aint that the truth!
  11. Another site I am on, They are buying 10 12 and 13 year old Blackbirds with less than 10,000 miles on them,
    Bloke at the end of my street has a big Kwaka sitting in his carport, I dont think its been ridden in four years,
  12. ....I had a five year old bike with 00000kms on it :-w