Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finding Reflective Tape / Stuff

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by donski1, May 17, 2007.

1. My riding gear has (unintentionally) turned out to be all black. I do alot of riding at night and my bike is dark blue. Not good.
    I have been trying to source some reflective tape to put on my helmet, backpack etc. I have even heard rumour of reflective velcro leg cuffs which sound great. Sticker, sew-on, velcro, whatever.
    Bloody hell though, the trouble I have had finding this stuff. I've tried officeworks, bunnings, spotlight, lincraft, bicycle shops, safety clothing shops..... There are a couple of great US websites, but surely there is somewhere in Melbourne, cheaper? I've also tried 3M direct, but they only have industrial distributors who sell it in bulk.
    Can anyone help please?

2. What's "bulk"? I've seen the sew on strips in BigW (bike section). I'd also try a workwear/safety gear shop if you have one - though they would be expensive.
    You could also buy a safety vest and tear the strips off - also expensive.

Then there's http://www.streetglo.net <---A Netrider partner so if you're a member you get a discount from them.
  3. If you don't have any luck on that site PM me I have a bit of 3M diamond grade reflective adhesive film left over from a job I did.
    Costs a bomb but is the stuff they use on roadsigns.
  4. spotlight

5. Do some people need glasses? :oops:
  6. Scoota City at 303 Elizabeth st have the marine-safety-grade reflective tape as a stick on. I think its $10 for 1 metre and if you trim carefully with scissors 1m will do a heck of a lot of bike and gear.
  7. I just remembered the guy who worked there said he got it in from a marine shop because lots of riders asked for it and couldn't find it. So if you're from somewhere other than sunny melbourne city, try your local Marine/Boating store.
  8. You guys delivered

Wow, came to the right place didn't I? Thanks all for taking the time to help me out. Vic, that must be the comphrensive guide to reflective tape.
    I've ended up placing an order with Dean Wood cycling store - off your list, Vic. They had some ready made ankle cuffs, and their rolls of tape were $8/mt as opposed to $10. Going put some sticky tape on the back of the helmet, ankle cuffs and a vest. Oh and sew some tape to my backpack.
    So, look out for me, I'll be the one lit up like a christmas tree.
    There was some cool ready made stuff on the US websites, but nothing like that here. If some budding entrepreneur is reading this, I would have paid $$ for some ready-made, motor bike specific, night safety kit.
    Much appreciated everyone
  9. For those out west, RSEA in WA, cnr pilbara and orrong roads have ready cut reflexite strips to put on hardhats. cheaper than buying a roll.

RSEA is a safety shop, a very big one.
  10. I would just be getting one of them reflective safety vests that go over any clothing you are wearing.
  11. Reflective tape

Try JV Marine, 878 Springvale Road Braeside. They have silver reflective tape. It seems good as I had on my old bike and stuff. As it is for marine use it was very good. Trouble was that is was only available in silver.

Hope this helps :)
  12. My understanding is that they're a franchise owned by spotlight (which is probably why spotlight stores no longer stock reflective tape).
  13. I think I'll buy a large roll and sell it as a merchandise item.
  14. Not too happy

Yeah, well as I said I placed the order with Dean Woods and recieved only some of the order 8 days later which was frustrating given that their website promised 24 hours turn around.

After 3 days, I had to phone them. The items weren't in stock... etc. and anyway some of it arrived today, not sure when the rest is due to arrive.
    Ordering on line is frustrating, as I would have ordered more of some item and less of the other if I had have been able to see and handle what I was ordering.

Defintely a hard product to track down though....
  15. Re: You guys delivered

Hey donski1
    you should let rosie v7 know about the stuff you found in the US. I think she's looking for some good gear to sell. I know she'd appriciate the info.

Good luck!

16. done

Done, thanks for the idea.
  17. The latest

yes well, finally the last part of the order arrived. Netti Reflective anklets - only they don't fit. Please don't assume I have elephantitis (I actually think my ankles are rather nice), but I guess they weren't made to go over draggins and biker boots. Oh well, back to square one.
  18. I've just ordered 5 meters of the 1" tape. :)

Or would people prefer the 2" tape? I can still change the order