Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Finding Insurance for a 2007 Kinlon

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Bluefang, Nov 14, 2013.

1. I made a huge mistake converting a 2007 kinlon KBR200 motorbike to full electric, the conversion went very easy, the registration and passing ADRs was a pain in the ass until i learned alot. Now i find out that insuring it is starting to turn out to be impossible. I have called as many of the major motorbike insurance companies as i can think of, but none will insure a 2007 Kinlon KBR200 as they are not on their books, one came close but due to it having a engine conversion to electric they said no. Now i have a wickedly fun bike to ride thats now registered.....but i still can not ride it.

So my question is anyone know of a insurer that has a 2007 Kinlon KBR200 on their books?

Next time i ll convert a main stream bike like a honda or a yamaha :(

2. have you tried Shannons?

they do bikes,
    they do modified cars
    they may do modified bikes
  3. +1 I think Shannons would be about your only choice. Otherwise try a Insurance broker, they are used to putting together packages for strange weird and wonderful. Good Luck.
  4. I just found one yesterday morning, Shannons is useless. They would not even consider insuring my bike and then when they found out i had not had a open licence for atleast more then 1yr they could not hang up fast enough, fyi they are just a reseller for motorbike insurance. The closest i managed in Australia was Youi.

Ended up going through a broker called Wallace risk management. Currently have the bike insured with a New Zealand insurance agency. May have been able to get the bike insured in Australia if it was a normal bike but been a Kinlon that most people dont have on their list and also electric is was a no win situation.
  5. #5 cjvfr, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    An advertiser on this site (y)

They also do Track day insurance I believe for the trackers.
  6. i know about them not insuring the bike if you dont have your blacks.
    if only their bike insurance was like their car insurance... you should see the list of mods i have insured on my Morris... or even funnier, the list of things that are stock.
  7. Out of interest did they give you a Lams designation for the bike as well.