Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

financial advice needed

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rich, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I have a problem Auntie Netrider,
    I get paid on Wednesday and am currently in a bit of a hole financially but there is also a motorcycle for sale. It is kind of ugly but also kind of sexy and I rationally know that I should sink the money into the savings account or buy some shares but it's kind of sexy and quite cheap i.e one pay packet. I also have a motorcycle already and my girlfriend and all her friends say that it would be very irresponsible to buy a motorcycle when I have one already. Its a thirty year old bike with god knows what problems but its currently registered and would make a great base for a cafe or restoration. did I mention its kind of sexy in an ugly kind of way? The fact that winter is kinda close means that I'm unlikely to ride it as much..but also means I have something to do with all my tools.:nopity:
    Please help.

2. Buying motorcycles is not a rational act. Far be it from me to try and talk you out of it :D.
  3. Buy it. Immediately.
  4. lol...you can guess which way I'm leaning.
  5. Sexy but ugly bikes only come up a few times in your life, Girlfriends change regularly..
    Buy it.
    "all her friends say its irresponsible" thats why she loves you..

Savings account and shares at the moment are the irresponsible choices :) A good motorcycle will keep you out of the pubs and home working on it so your girlfriend knows where you are..
  6. 1 motorcycle is never enough..

A motorcycle will get you through times with no girlfriend but a Girlfriend wont get you through times with no bike.
  7. Buy it. You know you want to.
  8. I think you should arrange to meet with a financial advisor who can assist you with your decisions vis-à-vis your all important economic stabliity - now and into the future.

A financial adviser or financial advisor, is a professional who renders financial services to individuals, businesses and governments. This can involve investment advice, which may include pension planning, and/or advice on life insurance and other insurances such as income protection insurance, critical illness insurance etc., and/or advice on mortgages

Ideally, the financial adviser helps the client maintain the desired balance of investment income, capital gains, and acceptable level of risk by using proper asset allocation. Financial advisers use stock, bonds, mutual funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), options, futures, notes, and insurance products to meet the needs of their clients. Many financial advisers receive a commission payment for the various financial products that they broker, although "fee-based" planning is becoming increasingly popular in the financial services industry.

The Association of Financial Advisers is a professional organisation that has been serving the financial advising industry for over 60 years. Its aim is to provide members with a robust united voice, continually improve practises and focus firmly on the exciting, dynamic future of the financial advising industry.

With six decades of success behind it, the association's ongoing relevance is due to its philosophy of being an association of advisers run by advisers. This means advisers set the agenda, decide which issues to tackle and shape the organisation's strategic plan.

On seconds thoughts, f*ck it, buy the bike.
  9. bet ya she won't be playing with your tool if you buy it.
  10. Get the bike and a new girlfriend.
  11. i agree with this.
  12. Don't buy it. Every time you feel bad about not having it, go have sex with your girlfriend. It'll make you feel loads better ;) :D PLUS: it doesn't cost you anything.

If you buy the bike, think of how much you'll have to spend on hookers...
  13. Oh yeah, right. It's just like, I'll go rip her clothes off at will! Suuuurreeee. When I want sex, she wants something done.....

But my bike, on the other hand. I can push it's button any time. Well....more often than the missus at least!

Get the bike and if it is as cool as you think it is you won't need to hire hookers :)

14. Ninja is onto something... she'll tire of you pestering her and she will relent and tell you to buy the damn bike.

15. buying the bike will ease the pain of a breakup :D
  16. what he said

believe me, you will realise how true this is once you are married/have a kid..
  17. I beg to differ. When you factory in food, clothes, clothes shopping, gifts the list goes on..... when you look at life time costs a bike costs a lot less to care for and maintain than a girlfriend.

Plus a bike won't get jealous if you have more than one, or casually ride others and you don't have to worry about your bike falling in love with someone else, whether you go for a ride or not is your choice not the bikes......

Forget the girlfriend, buy the bike....
  18. Go buy two bikes, then when SWMBO gets mad, offer to sell one of the new ones.
  19. Mate the sane thing to do would be to save your money and get your self into a really good sound financial position before purchasing any more toys.

Given that I am as unbalanced as the rest of the individuals on this forum I say BUY IT NOW!!!!

Mate on a seriouse note, if you can afford it and if you can see the value in it go for it.