Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finally Sydney catches on - bring on the free parking!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by alleyway, Nov 4, 2008.

1. http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-free-in-sydney/2008/11/04/1225560782092.html

City of Sydney Council has announced a 12 month trial of free motorcycle and scooter parking in the CBD, Pyrmont, Redfern, Ultimo, Darlinghurst, Paddington and Kings Cross starting from today.

Let's hope they decide to keep it going after the 12 months!

:grin:

2. And they're also creating dedicated space for a hundred more motorcycles in northern CBD!

Which is good, because lately I've been noticing a lot more two-wheelers on my commute.

3. Awesome news!
    It's definitely a step in the right direction - last but not least will be to go Melbournesque and let us park in areas not interfering with the flow of pedestrian traffic.

4. Oh thats awesome... lets wait and see how the cagers react to this hahaha. I'm just wondering, would this allow for us to have multiple bikes in one spot?

5. So to maximise the benefit of this we should angle park in a parallel spot to allow more bikes into 1 "designated area" parking spot? Or do we still have to parallel park like a car and take up the whole spot?

EDIT:: ok so im a slow typer skar beat me to it

6.  Top
  7. I agree that does seem to be what is implied, but given a lot of signs specify the type of parking (ie parallel or rear to kerb or 45deg) I would like to see it explicitly exempted in writing for bikes, I might have to read the original document, but I bet its 100's pages long :(

8. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh, not necessarily.

As the Sydney council said in the past, they prefer not to have marked bays on the road except in certain areas, because shorter vehicles obviously don't need an entire bay and therefore can park more efficiently when there aren't marked bays.

In this sense, 4-5 bikes can indeed fit in the space normally occupied by a car.

But they would need to overturn or modify the Australian Road Rule which forbids parking more than 1 vehicle per marked parking bay in order for us to share marked spaces legally.

9. This sounds right actually.. I forgot there weren't too many marked bays in the city. So I guess with marked bays we should avoid angle parking until there's some official ruling

10. I kind of get the idea you don't often park in the CBD - otherwise you'd notice there are not many outlined parking spots. Plus, motorcycles are meant to park wheel to the kerb as this is the safest way of moving from a parked spot. Lets not make it complicated - clearly if we can park for free and the object of this is to reduce congestion then we are allowed to fit multiple bikes in the space equivelant of one car, otherwise nothing is achieved. Also, notice that marked bays are timed according to the bay, not to the vehicle parked there. Therefore, you can fit as many motorcycles as you want in a marked bay without issue as the motorcycles cannot be individually ticketed, and therefore individually identified.

Park tyre to the kerb at a perpendicular angle (90 degrees). If you park at any other angle in the city you're just being a selfish git.

11. That would be the hope, wouldn't it?

The draft motorcycle parking plan noted that this was an issue, but sort-of shrugged its shoulders and said, "Not much we can do about it except remind people that we try not to use painted parking bays. Sorry!"

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the ARR multiple-vehicles-in-a-bay rule was still enforced to the letter of the law. :roll:

Edit:
    No, they'd just ticket all four/five motorcycles for parking illegally and leave the riders to dispute it in court, as happened to one of the riders here in Wollongong. :p

(You'd need to be one c*nt of a parking inspector to do that though)

12. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/24/2313329.htm

Take it up with her if you find this to be an issue.

13. You ass|u|me that just because the Lord Mayor said that up to 5 bikes can fit in the same amount of space as a parked car (true, you can), we must be allowed to park multiple vehicles in a painted parking bay. These are two different things.

Don't get me wrong; When riding with others I've always parked (illegally) multiple bikes to a single parking bay. Since we travel as a single entity, it just makes sense, regardless of the legality.

But until I see a press release from the council staying in plain English that they have changed the parking rules and more than one motorcycle can occupy a marked parking bay, IMHO it is still illegal to do so.

Edit:
    Official Sydney Council media release

14. Clover Moore is opening up a minefield by advocating free parking if she intends to let her rangers book you for sharing the spaces. It would also be completely idiotic and the backlash, crippling. But I hear you all the same.

15. [quote="taiheungI kind of get the idea you don't often park in the CBD - otherwise you'd notice there are not many outlined parking spots. [/quote]

You are right and I take no offense and intend none to anyone. Its just that if the sign says PARALLEL PARKING and I angle park will I be booked? This is regardless of whether bays are marked or not. Remember there are lots of different types of parking signs out there. Many just say the time restrictions but some specify how to park too. I see Spots posted the official release, I might have some reading to do.

PS I agree with your views of the safest way to park a bike, but if common sense and the law disagree you will still be booked for doing something sensible.

16. You are right and I take no offense and intend none to anyone. Its just that if the sign says PARALLEL PARKING and I angle park will I be booked? This is regardless of whether bays are marked or not. Remember there are lots of different types of parking signs out there. Many just say the time restrictions but some specify how to park too. I see Spots posted the official release, I might have some reading to do.

PS I agree with your views of the safest way to park a bike, but if common sense and the law disagree you will still be booked for doing something sensible.[/quote]

I hear you - but I think those signs are directives only for cars. As far as I am aware motorcycles are meant to angle park everywhere!

17. I agree, yup. Typically bikes angle-park everywhere. (Though that means we park "normally" in angle-parking bays, of course!)

Just because I can (Chopping out most of it):

208 Parallel parking on a road (except in a median strip
    parking area)

==========================================
    (vehicles must park parallel, facing right direction, rah rah rah, accordance with signs, etc)

(3) If the road is a two-way road, the driver must position the
    vehicle parallel, and as near as practicable, to the far left
    side of the road.
    Note Two-way road is defined in the dictionary.
    (4) If the road is a one-way road, the driver must position the
    vehicle parallel, and as near as practicable, to the far left or
    far right side of the road, unless otherwise indicated by
    information on or with a parking control sign.
    Note One-way road, parking control sign and with are defined in the
    dictionary.

(blah blah blah)

(9) This rule (Rule 208) does not apply to:
    (a) a driver if the driver parks on a length of road, or in an
    area, to which a parking control sign or road marking
    applies, and information on or with the sign or road
    marking includes the words ‘angle parking’ or ‘angle’;
    or
    (b) the rider of a motor bike if the rider parks the motor
    bike on a length of road, or in an area, to which a
    permissive parking sign applies and the sign indicates
    that the length of road or area is for parking motor
    bikes.
    Note 1 Motor bike and road marking are defined in the dictionary.
    Note 2 Division 9 deals with angle parking.

(10) Subrules (3) and (4) do not apply to the rider of a motor bike
    if the rider positions the motor bike so at least 1 wheel is as
    near as practicable to the far left or far right side of the road.

=========================================

Subrule 10 points out that motorcycles can either park parallel or angle-park in a parallel parking bay. We get to choose! You either park like a car, or make sure at least one of your wheels is as close as practical to the kerb.

Division 9 Angle Parking makes no exceptions for motorcycles; that is to say, we park in Angle Parking bays just like a car does.

Some light reading, if you're ever bored or curious: Australian Road Rules as of February 2008

18. Emailed SCC:
    I've also shot one off asking what they've got in the pipeline regarding footpath parking!

Edit: Second email below. That puts a total rest to that!

19. Only 700 spots? Last count we did in the Melbourne CBD (Victoria/Spring/Flinders/Spencer Streets) we counted double that number of motorcycles parked.

Given that time restrictions still apply it's not really an encouragement to commute for Sydney riders. I think there's going to be a lot of issues to be resolved over the next 12 months but it's a good start.