Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finally got my bike aswell!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by FTO, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Nice mate, well done. Looks great and will be awesome with the HID's
  2. Nice looking bike.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are HID lights?
  3. mmm yum gs500f :grin:
  4. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge, commonly called arc lamps or metal halide lamps.

HID lamps are 300% to 400% more efficient than a halogen lamp at converting electricity to light. This makes them an excellent choice for applications requiring a lot of light with great battery life.

Eg. a 10W HID lamp is equivalent to a 30-40W Halogen Lamp.

As HID lamps utilise an Arc, there is no filament inside the lamp, thus making them less prone to shock and g-forces therefore making them last longer. Obviously dropping one is not a good idea.

It is basically the same technology that is used in "Xenon" car headlights as used in some BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes etc.

from http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au/
  5. Good choice of bike.

I hope you have no trouble (cops and rego etc) with having the HIDs on...definitely something I would like on the next bike.
  6. Nice first bike bud. i did my learners on a gs500 and found them really easy to ride and corner. Great commuter but also prefer the gs500f for looks over the gs500. Shouldn't have any probs with your test mate. Good luck.
  7. thnx guys, test is at 5pm. So nervous, but very excited at the same time. Should I book my computer licence test. like now?
  8. Good Luck!! the bike looks great! Pre-learners was so much fun (I did it last week).

I rang the RTA and they said the two offices they have near me allow walk-in computer tests until 1pm or 2pm.. some of the busier Sydney ones might require bookings all the time, give them a call and they'll know.

Also from what I found you can't get the number of your specific RTA but theres a 13 number which will give you the info you need.

Good luck again! you'll do great. :grin:
  9. Ahh thanks for that bit of a lesson in HID's. I would not have had one iota that's what they were. hehehe

Thanks again
  10. HIDs are very cool looking too, definantly gonna get a pair with my new bike. Thing that kills ya is the price of them tho :S
  11. +1, thinking of upgrading to a 600 Suzuki, to bad theres no lams here in vic

a tail kit would be sexy :D