Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

finally got a bike, need help starting though...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by quantocks, Jun 20, 2008.

1. After almost 2 years contemplating what to do, scooter or bike, I got a bike.

Honda NSR 150. I can't seem to start it though properly.

I kick start it, hold in the clutch, push down to first gear, roll slow on throttle and release clutch slowly but as soon as I "release" or move my hand off the clutch the bike stalls straight away.

to get around this temporarily, I have been walking the bike forward and then going that way, but when I stop at lights I stall almost every time and it's really annoying that I can't get it to work properly.

any tips guys for a newbie?

2. Sounds like you're not holding your revs high enough. Does it feel like it's going to stall when you let out the clutch to friction point? You might need a little bit more throttle.

Or perhaps the lever or cable needs adjusting or checking. Cable stretch is a fun little bugger.

Sounds like you need to find a nice large car park and practice. That's what I did and it really helped me. Now I happily commute to and from work without stalling.

3. Going along with what Four40 said, you should be able to release the clutch slowly and feel the friction point - this is where the bike tries to move. Even though the bike is trying to move at this point you don't just release the clutch (which a lot of new riders do), you need to keep releasing it slowly and keeping the revs up until you have forward momentum.

After a while you wont even think about it and gear changes and take offs will take place in .5 of a second, but at the start you really need to practice.

4. Like they said, you've got to coordinate clutch slip, rpm and throttle position. This is a sports 2 stroke motor and won't pull away from tickover. Also your pilot jet may be blocked or partially blocked and the engine dies just off idle. This is especially common in bikes that have been left unused for a couple of months. The goo residue of dried out petrol easily blocks the smaller jet.

5. ^^^^ What they said
    Apply more revs & use the clutch to control the amount of power transferred to the rear wheel.

6. When the clutch grabs the revs will dip back down, if it isn't up high enough initially this will make you stall. When you get to friction point you'll hear it happen, so gently roll on the throttle... should be good to go! This caught me a few times :)