Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finally getting the gist of it all!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MiSe, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Hi all! third weekend writing abt my riding experience and sharing it with you, it's been great! Aside from the useful tips every single post I've put up here has generated. I've practiced each and every tip I got and today I finally got the gist of it all, this big bike became an extension of myself and felt as if I was flying through the roads weightless!! I get it now!!:) fukc the car...this is way more powerful, a 3D cocktail of senses and control! I did the hill, the hill start, corners of any kinds, I did a few u turns with the feet up and went on a busy hilly road with a few roundabouts, got a coffee and waved at some bikers with the left hand without falling!!(first time I tried to wave a one or two weeks ago I actually almost killed myself as I took my hand from throttle to wave--- then the bike went really shaky etc---- and obviously I was clueless---very very clever!) I even stood up on a speed bump...I mean who would have thought that this tiny smurf that can barely hold two shopping bags would have ridden a 140kg bike up a hill!! Confidence levels are up! Got to make most of it so I rode for hours today. Lots to practice but I'm finally not scared to fall as I realise it's hard to fall once you're moving if you stir it right and ok if someone comes at you or wet patches and oil etc..that's another story I'll need to learn strategy for. I did go on a bit of dirt as well and didn't skid whilst last weekend I'd freak out about hiccuped gear changes fearing I'd fall...I still stall very often at yield signs but am not scared and get back on track as fast as i can. I've got an L on my plate for a reason and if cars behind don't get it, it's their bloody problem not mine! I guess now starts the fun part, learning about pre-sets such as clutch in perfect squeeze, bike limits, my limits, speeds, how to handle curves fast and head check practicing, use of judgement and hazard prevention...ie using judgement and yes...Homebush practice sesh here I come, I'll try to be there next Saturday!

It's funny how it all clicked from one moment to the other.

Has anyone had the same experience? I.e. the moment when this huge scary alien thing becomes actually a friendly buzzy fun wheeler?

Also my mozzie bike engine feels smoother now in 3rd gear I think it's loosening a bit and I don't need to change gear every two seconds, I've heard big bikes can handle better length gears so say going uphill in 4th the bike wouldn't tend to stall because of power capacity whilst mine totally coughs up mozzie blood by the end of it if I attempt 4th. So would a 250/300 engine do the same as mine? Just thinking abt future choices in terms of engine etc. below mozzie bike and panda scoot after the big busy hill:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 9
  2. One of the things I love about this motorcycling thing, and this particular site is seeing people like yourself (and myself) for that matter who are fairly new to this thing and seeing the development and excitement building with confidence.

Many of us have shared similar thoughts (check out the thread I started called That moment for my thoughts )

Well done. Keep learning and stay safe
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. #3 chilliman64, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    and we never stop learning either!
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Exciting isn't it :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. To answer the question: Yep, we all have.

Keep going, you just made the first milestone.

Oh,and I agree with RussellDPRussellDP
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. For me everything clicked after learning how to counter steer properly. It was also the same day I passed my P test so double win!
    Now most things are easy, I'm sure a lot of people experience similar things. Sounds like you're on track
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Im soo glad you got it!! I had similar experiences of it happening :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The reason we are all on this forum is that we all get it.

Edit: we mostly all get it.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  9. Well done, MiSeMiSe

You've reached the first rung on the ladder. Confidence in your own ability.
    Build on that, by getting better at what you already do and seeking new challenges.
    These are the great memories I referred to in my earlier sermon.

Don't forget, though: it's usually 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

One of these days, you'll get on the bike feeling great and make a series of basic mistakes, begin to feel awkward and start doubting yourself. You may even question your own memories of the very recent wins. It happened to most of us.
    If so, I recommend re-reading this post a.s.a.p.

Set backs in learning can be caused by tiredness, overconfidence or just 'not being in the zone' on the day and impossible to predict.
    Forget that experience and go out again. You'll be surprised how well you can actually ride.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Thanks Mick as usual your posts are great, I'll keep this in mind and will re-read this when I have a bad day, I had the feeling I was singing victory too early but as you said two steps forward and one back, the tango of life, gotta dance and see :D probably the last time I felt this feeling of achievement was when I learned to ride the bicycle when I was a baby I've done some extreme things in life nothing ever felt that complicated, skillful and puzzling all at once! So this moment is in the book of memories/achievements!! :) I can see how over-confidence could veil my mind or lack of coffee for that matter, I'll make sure I keep practicing the basics and before my Ps I'll get some mentoring to get rid of the bad habits I might have built to that day. I'm determined to have a long relationship with riding and I've got to say all the tips/stories and "sermons" -hint ;)- have helped me a lot to be switched on to the various aspects of it.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Well done. It is satisfying when it all starts to fall into place.
    Don't ride with scooters, your bike might catch something.
    • Funny Funny x 8
  12. Well Done.

I notice you said you often stall at yield signs. Most of the things we need to do on a bike we do by practice.

So why not practice taking off. Find yourself a quiet straight bit of road and take off, go up to second, come to a stop and take off again.

Not very exciting but I guarantee if you do 50 of these you aren't going to be likely to stall again to often.

And don't forget to check mirrors for someone up your clacker before coming to a stop.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Is that common practice for you? I sometimes think about it, but what can you really do if someone is actually going to rear-end you?
  14. It's really good to know you've had one of those breakthrough days on the bike, MiSeMiSe. You've got more of them ahead of you with challenges in between to make them all the more satisfying to persevere and overcome. As others have said, just about everyone has had and or continues to have those times when everything clicks together. And I know I have days when nothing seems to go right. Just keep going and take a break when you need to. Well done!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. lol poor panda scoot! He's adorably faithful but yeh he's just hanging there to be replaced by a geary bike :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. #16 Bolstie, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Keep moving forward (reasonably quickly) and out of the way of the vehicle not stopping for you ... Likely, you'll only be able to do this if you remember to leave some (significant) wriggle room between you and the vehicle in front of you AND if you've been keeping an eye on your rear view mirror.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. will do! :) my driveway is perfect! has a hill and no traffic!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Pretty much.

We have a driveway with a very short steep section, which is perfect for practicing hill starts. Did that 20 times and much more confident with how much power to give and how much clutch to slip and when to release. It is all a balance of power, engine strain and gearing/clutch.
  19. Further to previous response ...
    Recommendations from those with heaps of experience is to always keep two fingers over the front brake while resting on throttle at intersection stops and always leave your bike in 1st gear with clutch depressed. By combining these two actions with keeping an eye on the rear view mirror, one is pretty much (always?) ready to move forward with haste should there be someone ready to rear end you.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Yea that makes sense, and I suppose once there is a car behind you, you can relax a bit more, because at least you have a buffer there then.