Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Finally beating SR's!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Maetrik, Aug 25, 2011.

1. So i started riding on the road for those that don't know almost a year ago, maybe a week shy. I've got 10 years dirt bike experience behind that but jumped on a roady and never looked back.

Like all learners, i had the jitters about certain things. Long story short, i had a serious crash because of SR's (Survival Reactions). I looked at the embankment i didn't want to hit, and as you can predict, bang at 100km/h i hit it. Luckily i walked away but i was pissed off. I'd read about them and tried to practice ignoring them but your bodies instincts are hard to overcome.

Anyway, i hit the Spurs the other day in great conditions, and was feeling really switched on the second i pulled out the driveway. Get up to Marysville where the real fun starts on the run up to Lake Mountain and down the Reefton. As many would know, there are some hairy corners up there, and i was going pretty hard. I hit a 45km/h corner at about 80km/h (about the limit for my bike given the camber and i didn't have a deathwish), and realised at corner entry i'd overcooked it as the road thinned. I looked dead ahead, but within 0.2 of a second my head snapped back to the vanishing point, counter-steered hard and executed the corner perfectly. The buzz i got out of it was astonishing. I'd avoided a possible wipe out by executing critical lessons that i'd had drilled into me by mentors but simply cant be taught, only learned.

I guess im posting this so new riders out there accept that you're going to experience these feelings when you get a bit of confidence up. As i was told when i started riding, you cant trade experience in the saddle for anything. Finally my head is at the point where i can ride harder and have exit strategies for when things go a little pear shaped. Give it time and you'll pick it up, just dont get too over confident like i did. As Raven told me, the most dangerous time of a riders career is from complete beginner to intermediate. Things are starting to fall into place and skill levels can be pushed beyond your own capabilities. Take it slow, learn to ride properly and it will all come to you. I never thought id be riding like i am now after only 12 months. But i've got a lifetime to learn, and will never stop learning.

The next danger i need to avert is yet to happen, thats the next learning curve.....what danger i don't know but on a bike on public roads, take your pic. What im proud of is getting SR's sorted.....sorry for the rant!

Safe riding.

• Like Like x 4
  2. A good lesson a smart advice for noobs and developing riders.

When you begin to feel like you've made it, you begin to drop your guard, and that's going to be the time that an SR jumps out and bites you hard on the arsk.

Note: SR's never, never go away. You just learn how to overcome their dangerous effects, on the whole. But they are always there, hovering in the background...waiting.

The main difference between a new rider and an experienced rider is how you manage them and your skill at keeping them from effecting you negatively.

Keep on training yourself, ride with focus, and continue to improve. :)

Well done maetric....time to be positive and vigilant, mate.

3. Nice post. It's interesting to hear that after you completely overcome SR's, they are still present, hanging over the shoulder. And nothing truly prepares you then experiencing it yourself. Being in the situation, and getting out of it is quite the buzz.

I experienced this just the other day. As most incidents happen near home (familiar ground) I was on a common route and got a bit too wide on one of the corners, body just kind of locked up. Not as much experience as yourself but definitely a wakeup call. Never let the guard down !

4. that's the point...you can't overcome your SR's.

What you do through repetative and focussed training over time, is teach yourself to react the way you need to, instead of the way your brain wants you to.
    That way, in a tight spot you will be more likely to get it right. The greater the exposure to combating your SR's, and the more seriously you've trained yourself, the better your chances.

But that's as good as it gets. Your SR's are always there....waiting...tick tock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good pick up Raven, that is what i meant, sometimes i get carried away and dont word it properly. Basically im aware that they kick in during times of duress and i can now focus on what needs to be done to avoid a crash now rather than focusing on where i dont want to go. Of course they'll always be there, im human!

6. Aw, beautiful! Beautiful [applause] =D> Thank you so much for posting that. I couldn't have put it better if I spent a week on it.

I had a little off, after many years of riding, at very low speed, due to SRs. I got a fright - simple as that. And I fell down. I didn't get hurt but there was some cosmetic damage. Very frustrating, very embarrassing, very expensive. A car popped up out of nowhere, when I least expected to see one, and I 'covered' the front brake. I didn't hit it, I didn't grab it, I certainly didn't yank on it and squeeze like hell, I tapped it. It wasn't intentional, I just went to get my fingers over the lever in a hurry, in case I needed it, but in my fright I was a little clumsy, and I kind of tapped it. I was going quite slow at the time, but I was leaned well over and had almost full steering lock on. Tap on the front brake = fall. Quick as a wink.

Survival Reactions can catch you out. Doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how good you are, the unexpected can shock you - and then you can do something stupid.

7. I have no idea what you're getting at.

8. maybe the point that SR's are always lurking in the background, no matter how long you been riding.

i dunno.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mostly I was just thanking you for expressing something beautifully. That line about critical lessons that can't be taught - only learned. That's gold. Every learner should write that one on their wrist in nicco pen every day.

10. Apologies for late response but cheers for clearing that up, thought you were having a go, didn't know how to react :p.

Cheers.