Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Final destination, do you believe

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by goz, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Who ever has seen the movie final destination will know what im talking about..

If you havnt, then its about a story where a group of people were ment to get on a plane but didnt, that plane crashed, everyone died, after the crash, that same group started dying 1 by 1 in different sorts of accidents (or was it an accident?)

why am i bringing this up???

Woman who arrived late for doomed Air France flight killed in crash
    June 12, 2009

An Italian woman who arrived late for the Air France flight that crashed in the Atlantic has been killed in a car accident.

Johanna Ganthaler had been on holiday in Brazil with her husband and missed Air France Flight 447 after turning up late at Rio de Janeiro airport on May 31, The Times online has reported.

All 228 people aboard lost their lives after the plane crashed into the Atlantic four hours into its flight to Paris.

The ANSA news agency reported that the couple, from Bolzano-Bozen province, had managed to pick up a flight from Rio the following day.

Ms Ganthaler died when their car veered across a road in Kufstein, Austria, and swerved into an oncoming truck. Her husband was seriously injured..

2. Man thats some really bad luck.
  3. /end thread.
  4. goz, do you mean - determinism: the theory that all phenomena are the result of antecedent conditions and that nothing occurs by chance.

So, can we alter a predetermined destiny and if we can, what are the consequencial outcomes?

I'll have to think on this one.....Hmmm! :-k

nibor, stop that :wink:
  5. It would be even more amazing if the husband was picked off in a couple of weeks or so.
  6. In a sick twisted kind of way, right :?
  7. Where is this going?
  8. morgue?
  9. :LOL:
  10. +1
    Then you'd have my attention :shock:
  11. In a world of more than 6,000,000,000 people, thousands die each day. It's inevitable that such collisions of circumstance happen all the time, it's just that the interweb helps us hear about it....
  12. I thought this would be right up your alley Paul. It fits in with Gods plan and our minor influence on the path set for us.

There were many reports after the Zeebrugge ferry disaster where people who were pulled from the ship and certain death were later killed in accidents.
  13. Well I wouldn't want to derail the thread, but my theology says that since all life came from God, it is His to give or take, down to individual level. The question most people ask is 'why' in both directions; 'why did he/she die?' or (usually) 'why did THEY die, and I not?'.

There's a story in the last chapters of Acts in the New Testament, where Paul and the rest of the people in the ship in which he's travelling, is shipwrecked on a island, and the people of the island give them shelter and food. As they are building a fire to warm themselves, a snake comes out of the wood and bites the Apostle on the hand. The people of the island say that he must be a wicked man who has escaped the shipwreck, but that whom the fates intended to die, and so the snake-bite. So they wait for him to die, which, perversely, he does not do. Then they change their minds 180 degrees and say that since he didn't die, he must instead be a god!!!

Without the knowledge of God, life, and certainly not death, in its timing or in its details, makes no sense.
  14. Isn't that just 'man's' need/insecurity to give reason to everything.

Sorry can't stay & chat at the moment, have to go shopping - my destiny today.
  15. But that's what I meant. Our fate is pre-determined by an authority higher than us. When you're time is up, it's up. Which also adds credence to enjoy every day as if it was your last, as it might well turn out to be.
  16. No one argues with someone driving a tank.
  17. I only watched that movie for the first time on Thursday night. I've got the other two to go in the box set. I have nothing useful to add here except that I don't believe in any predetermined things happening.
  18. But that's what I meant. Our fate is pre-determined by an authority higher than us. When you're time is up, it's up. Which also adds credence to enjoy every day as if it was your last, as it might well turn out to be.

Exactly :). I think I might go out for a ride :LOL:......
  19. Awesome premise for a film... You cheat death, but death comes after you. Too bad it turned into a series of slasher flicks, the fourth of which will be in 3D (gimmicky - bleh).

I thought of exactly the same thing when I heard this story, however, since I'm an atheist - I believe this is nothing more than pure coincidence.

You're born, you live, you die, you're recycled back into the universe.
  20. I do not believe that everyone's life is predetermined. What happens in our life is a result of the things that we do and random coincidence, as in the circumstance mentioned at the start of this thread.

But I also agree with Paul that, without a belief in God, life and death is meaningless.

As my dad used to say, "An atheist is a person with no invisible means of support."