Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Final Advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by IanR, May 15, 2011.

1. Hey all,

Its finally bike time! I got my L's in St Ives a few's ago and have saved up enough cash to put into a bike. I have been lurking these forums for the past few months and have JUST about settled on a GS500. I can get a good one in my current price range (5-6K) and they seem to be an good all round, reliable, fun ride.

First question, other then the appearance, how does the fairing effect this bike? I honestly cant decide which one i like the look of more. Im guessing the fairing makes the bike more aerodynamic? But also i've heard dropping a bike with fairing can be quite an expensive experience.

Second question, am i stupid to not be buying a new CBR250/Ninja 250. For around the 6K mark new, is this just too good value to ignore? I have also noticed that recently Suzuki has waived the 'On Road Costs' on their GS500's. This being my first vehicle purchase, i'm not too sure exactly how much of a saving this is...?/what additional costs are associated with buying a used bike?

Hopefully i can get some opinions from you guys and get on a bike ASAP :)

Ian

** Other possibly important info. Im 20yrs old, 180cm, 75KG, will be using this bike to commute around Sydney and eventually, go for nice 'relaxed' rides on some open roads outside of sydney.

2. no lams bike is going to give you a lot of thrills. if you ride often you"ll outgrow it in a month.
    at 75 kilos the ninja would be my choice of the two, because it's more modern, refined and sporty.
    the advantage of the 500 in the GS is some extra low down torque, so you can carry an extra load, luggage if you travel, pillion if it's legal there. it's not a faster bike unless you were to load up the ninja with the same amount of weight. then it would be faster. personally i think it's an ancient, batshit boring, air cooled, heavy pile of shit.
    sadly, your choices are limmited though...and well it is a reliable heap of shit, that you can easilly work on yourself, and will hold it's resale value.
    just, i'd be more confident pushing the envelope on the ninja, than on the GS, if you get my gist.
    because in a month or so, you're going to be banging either bike of the rev limmiter with every gear change... and the ninjas kinda like to do that, but the GS you might find the limmits of the bikes suspension and handling are pretty poor.
    but then see, if you want to do some distance, touring, carry stuff, more freeways/slab work, then go the GS.
    fairing = aerodynamics yes, also helps suck air through the bikes mechanicals at higher speeds, plus better protection from the elements to a degree, plus dearer to insure.

3. Ye i can see the the Ninja would be a lot more 'chuckable' and probably would get the heart rate going a bit faster then the GS500. I definitely prefer it over the CBR250 too. At the moment, having only ridden a bike for a few hours in my life, thats not a huge priority, but then you are right, in a few months and with more experience i can imagine i might want to start pushing the boundaries a bit more and the Ninja would cater for this better.

Ive seen a few threads where people have had trouble tracking down a good deal on new Ninja's around Sydney too... i could be completely wrong there though...

Another worry i have about the sport bike is the aggressive seating position. Sydney's traffic can get pretty shitty and i'm not sure if long stints bent over the bike would be very fun..

Am i stupid to be considering a new bike as a learner? I mean i NEARLY dropped the bike just getting my L's (dismounted without kicking the stand out :S)

Would you put the CB400 in the same category as the GS500 (being a much tamer ride) Monkey Man?

Thanks for your time

4. i just realised this probably wasn't the best night to making a new thread, Moto GP and all haha

5. the fairings do help keep a lot of the wind/rain off at speed. i love the naked version's looks, but with the weather nowadays i'm glad i went for the F model haha

buy used - it's your first bike and i was still heartbroken when i dropped my 2nd hand Across. though with the recent price cuts for the ninja 250s, it's pretty tempting..

you're also around my height and weight - the suspension can be modded to suit you fairly cheaply & easily - hit up the gstwins forum or wiki for details. miraz has a thread on his gs500f's modifications here too.. though i just went with new forks springs instead of getting a whole new set of front forks like he did. combine that with some new fork oil and an R6 rear shock and the handling is pretty alright.

tis reliable and easy/cheap to service, takes a pillion or luggage without too much difficulty. sure it'll never satisfy and i'm definitely upgrading once i'm on my fulls; but realistically it does have enough poke to commute and are still fun to thrash around the twisties :)

good luck ;)

6. cb400 is a far superior machine to the gs500, assuming we're talking late model, but the pricing is unfair. then again, that works in your favour on re-sale.
    new verses second hand, pros and cons either way. if it's a gap bike, have to consider how much of your initial outlay it will return if you keep it nice. all of your choices are solid bets. you"ll have a crap load of fun on any of them. best just to check out all of them in the flesh, sit on them for a while. spend wisely but get the one 'you' like best. it's a heart felt choice.

7. After 15years of non-riding (and that was only a year on a clapped out Honda CB250-T) I decided on getting the naked GS500, and went new because of thier current good price. It was only $1000 extra than 2 year old models up for sale and that gives me 2 years of factory warranty. Plus, while I re-learned riding I was going easy on the bike while I had to run it in.

I'm glad I went the 500, it has good commuting steady pace (down low) but can still raise a grin when I throttle up into the 8k's when blasting out of a side road. I'm sure I will want to trade up when off LAMS restrictions but for now it does everything I want. Plus the simple nature of the bike means I can be comfortable doing minor service work myself, while I learn.

Cons are definately the suspension (but can be modded) and that squeaky rear brake. But it is a very good learning bike. And there is plently of legs still available for freeway travel, unlike the 250 I rode before.

8. +1 -

Years ago when I bought my first bike (CBR-RR), the ride home was so exciting. I thought, I will never upgrade this bike. There is too much power already. Keep in mind, at the time I had not ridden before. I put a deposit on the bike on a Thursday, that Saturday and Sunday I did the learners course at HART (the first time riding any bike) and went to pick my bike up on the Sunday night, my permit was literally 1 hour old.

Anyway, it felt like the most powerfull thing in the world. I then rode it for at least 3 hours every day (addicted), within about 3 weeks I was redlining 1st, 2nd, 3rd pretty much every time. After the 6th week it just felt slow and sluggish (in a straight line ofcourse). Having said all that, it was a good, reliable and fun bike. I continued to ride it for 12 months or so and ofcourse became better and better at riding it.

Your first bike is not about power or speed IMO. Also if it were my $$ I would be going for a ninja. You will love whatever you buy though. Just take you time and sit on the bikes you are interested in.

9. Thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciate it. =D>

It seems the consensus is that regardless of which first bike people choose, they love it. So on that logic, i cant really go wrong, which is a pretty good situation to be in.

Im still a little confused with what 'on road' fee's are associated with buying a new bike/transferring ownership of a used bike... Can anyone clarify these? Im 20yrs old, clean insurance history,bike will be stored in a garage in Lane Cove (2066)

Im off to have a sit on a Ninja. :)

10. Rego, stamp duty, dealer delivery costs.
    Buying new is lovely. The bike has not got a scratch on it. Seat molds to your bum. No one but you has ridden it. (far as you know)
    Then again as soon as you sign that dealer contract the bike has lost about 20% of it's value.
    You must keep up the services at an authorized "service center" or you void your warranty. And that is right, an authorized service center. Not a qualified mechanic. So expensive servicing.

11.  Top
  12. Make sure you check how you sit on it from lock to lock. Most people 6ft and up have trouble fitting on them. I barely do and I'm 175cm.

You are right tho. Everyone likes whatever bike they buy. So go buy whatever you can afford and is reasonable and just enjoy it!

13. Jeeze! $1200 for 'on road' costs! They sound so harmless :S That is a significant offer by Suzuki though.. Should i expect to be paying that amount regardless of the bike i buy? So say i'm lucky enough to get a Ninja for 6.3K like advertised in the media ( i was quoted 7K today by the salesperson :S), will i be leaving the dealership 7.5K poorer (inc. on roads)

I did get a good sit on a few bikes today at Sydney City Motorcycles - Lane Cove. The Ninja definitely seemed to have the X-Factor.. I found it 'tight' but comfortable, light and super sexy. The hand controls did seem to look and feel cheap to me though? (compared to the VTR250 i did my pre-learner course on at least).

The GS500F was also very comfortable, but the fairing model looked and felt a little odd to me... almost as if the fairing was a last minute addition.. i found it very 'bulky'. For some reason the sales person had something against this bike too, he seemed hell bent on discouraging me to buy it. He actually assured me that i would fail my MOST test on the GS500 due to its long wheel base 8-[

A new Ninja is looking like a very attractive prospect....

14. he's a twat. high handlebars + upright seating position + not-too-heavy = easy to flick around the slalom and u-turn

yeah gotta agree.. looks like a boat i rekn hahah
    and at about 200ish kg wet weight, it's definitely heavier than the ninja. not painfully though.

15. Buy used, not more than 5k.....spend the money on better gear, training or put it towards the bike you are going to want to buy in 15 months time....

16. The RRP of the Kwaka Ninja 250 is $5999. Which is set by the manufacturers. Dealers add their costs and looking at bikesales, most dealers are selling them for $6999. SO the on road costs are about a grand for the 250 in NSW. Make sense?? Stamp duty varies depending on the RRP of the bike as it's a percentage of the value of the bike. Most dealers drop the on roads for older stock or if there is a national promotion from the manufacturer. i.e. run out sales etc etc...

17. Yep that makes perfect sense thanks 99CIBBER.
    Well 7K is pushing the budget a little unfortunately... If i could find a reasonable used example for 5K i would still consider a Ninja. The used market still doesn't seem to have responded to Kawasaki's price decrease yet though.

Miraz why do you say i will want to upgrade in 15months? My plan was to hopefully pick a bike that would last the entire 3yr restricted period..

Back to the GS500F, it was the bulky fairing which was what bothered me, perhaps i would like the un-faired model more.. There are a few good examples of them on bike sales too which i could get to on the weekend.

Opinions on these unfaired?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...4966592 80&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=25&silo=1400

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...4966592 80&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=25&silo=1400

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...4966592 80&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=25&silo=1400 (this one is unregistered and a 2006 model so i assume there are additional costs to get this roadworthy)

GS500F's

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Suzuki-GS500...Motorcycles&hash=item41596bd3c1#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...94967124 78&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=3&silo=1400 (something odd about this one, so few KM's, i guess the owner must have a near miss and wants out? I know its in ACT but its just such a bargain! haha)

18. I've been riding my CB400 for 6 months now and still LOVING it. As I'm learning and pushing more, it just seems to have more to give me.

Not so. Any registered mechanic is fine for servicing if it's the manufacturers warranty. If you're talking about a bike shops extended warranty, or warranty on a S/H bike, then yeah, you have to service it through them.

19. Sorry to argue Minglis. But read the ACCC 2005 act. It's the shop and not the mechanic. And that's how an apprentice can do the service and you still be covered.
    No it does not have to be the shop you bought it off. But the "Place" of service has to be an approved place of repairs.

20. Oh, correct. But as long as they are a registered business, there should be no problem. So, can't be done by a backyard mechanic, but you should be able to take it to almost any bike mechanic shop and be fine. (that's how I understand it). Again, only for the manufacturer warranty.