Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Filtering to turn

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by daedalus, Oct 24, 2009.

1. I know there are lots of filtering threads, but none of them talked about techniques relating to filter.

Remember this is not a discussion of the legal/ethical issues of filtering, but about safe techniques GIVEN THAT I AM GOING TO FILTER.

is it safe? how would i do it?

Option 1 (safest IMO): filter to the front then try and move in front of the front car. This works best if there is a pedestrian crossing, because then there will be plenty of room. However you will be taking up space in the pedestrian crossing

Option 2: filter to the front, stay next to the front car then try and take off. Potentially dangerous if the front car accelerates hard too

Option 3 (most dangerous IMO): Turn from another outer lane, even if that lane isnt supposed to turn, and rely on speed

What do you guys think?
  2. Watch the lights and traffic as you approach, if you know the red just came on you have time to get to the front, if not be carefull and be ready to slot in behind a car.

if you get to the front block one of the cars so you dont get caught in the middle of 2, BUT dont be a diiiiiik and take of slow, be ready, watch the lights and dont hold anyone up.
  3. My personal opinion with all filtering is that the safest option is to move in front of the front car.
    If you are beside then they can give some lame “I didn’t see him” or “I thought he was going for the other lane” type excuse.
    If you are in front of them the only way they are going to hit you is if they make a conscious decision to do it. And as much as there are many F#$kwits out there that are happy to be dangerous, they will stop short of intentional homicide.
  4. Yups. Stop in front of the first cars. Have a look at the cars though and use your judgement.

For example, if you stop in front of a big holden with fake vents and a silly fin on the back, you'd expect him to take off like an idjamit. It's best to just stay out of the way and let those type of people race their way to the d!ckhead hall of fame.
  5. I totally agree with you all, I did exactly like Zealt said.
  6. I do the same as Zealt. But sitting at the lights last week a police bike pulled up to my left. A little blast of the siren and indicated to me to pull over after the intersection. I got a $60 fine for "crossing a single continuous white line". No loss of points. That was in QLD.
  7. Did he split to book you???
  8. So you split the lane and pass him seating between the car and he follow u split to the front and ask you to pull over?
  9. Sit between the cars (preferably to their right but on the LHS of the white line), suss out who's around you and watch for amber in opposite direction, only then after watching for red light runners move into pole position and be ready for a quick take off. If you look like you know what you're doing, the majority of the time they will leave you alone.
  10. Who cares he was doing his job.
  11. splitting up to the front, to turn right:

if you split up between the turning lane, and the straight lane, then pull up in front of the first car in the turning lane, crossing the stop line (going into the pedestrian path if there is one), you will be fined with "failure to obey traffic signal" because you've crossed the line whilst the light is red. the fine is $223 and 3 points (in victoria at least).

moral of the story, don't cross the stop line if the light is red!
  12. +11tybillion. You can't be hit from behind when you're BESIDE a car, or inbetween two cars at the front of the queue. If you can't out accelerate a car off the starting line (once checking for red light runners) you have NO BUSINESS being there.
  13. great. thanks for the suggestions. If there is a pedestrian crossing then yes moving in front of the first car is easy

what if there is not? it will mean i will have to cross the line. do you guys still do it then?
  14. I did an advanced course many many many years ago run by the ACT police. The police instructor said always pull ahead of the driver in the car alongside to make sure he can see you, directly in front is best - even if it means going over the line. He said if you get pulled over explain it's a safety issue - if you are level or behind he could easily come over into your lane.

The instructor then said - since you will probably still get booked once every 10 years or so by someone wanting to be a bastard, think of it as a small fee you're paying to keep safe.
  15. Tony, what's the penalty and points in Victoria?
  16. my previous post outlined the penalty
  17. I split and get in front of the car. I never sit beside as the driver won't know what lane you are in. If i'm in front, they know i'm in front. If you sit next to cars, expect trouble.
  18. Thanks Sheppo. Sorry, I missed that.
  19. I tend to sit in between the cars but far enough in front that there's no doubt I've been seen. I then take off hard (watching for red light runners) in the middle, with a lane in mind to go into, and check the mirrors just before moving over to make sure I really have left the car in that lane behind. I pick whichever one looks like it'll be slower off the lane as my lane to go into, but there's always the option of going the other way or staying in the middle or going harder if the mirror-check shows he's accelerated up near me. (The Bandit can out-accelerate 99.9% of cars on the road - but that would assume a 100% launch which of course I don't usually do in traffic.)
  20. I pull in front of the cars.

Commuting in peak time through the CBD there are other riders who'd like to be at the front also, rather then sitting between two cars, behind another bike.

I know it s%^&s me when other bikes/scooters do it.

I say; don't block the split path.