Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Filtering to the front question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Owl PhD, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I was curious what others do in this situation or if anyone has been booked. I only filter to the front if 1. I'm sure I have time and 2. I have plenty of space. Anyhoo, when I get to the front I usually like to pull in front of a car rather than stay split between two cars, however I like to make sure I'm seen and I also like to keep some space behind me, so this results in me being a bit illegally too far forward. So that is what my question relates to has anyone been booked or spoken to by police for being in this 'too far forward' position? I hasten to add, it's never dangerously too far forward it's but sometimes my bike will be completely over the line.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Never seen a problem but then I'm not a daily commuter. The only time I wouldn't do this is if the popo happen to be front row of the grid. Although I'd think most of them would leave it be anyway tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've had several close encounters where I've been to much in the centre of the 2 lanes and had drivers try to race me off the lights (even if still red) to reclaim the position and shove me off....normally Asian P-platers in riced up shitboxes or old angry men in AMG Mercedes who try to "teach a lesson".

Personally you have to either get clearly infront or wait a car or two back. Never been hassled by the police over it.

4. what
    you stop for red lights?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Filtering is not compulsory ...

At lights my decision will depend on time, room and my own urgency to get wherever ... I prefer not to go 'too far forward' and will remain between vehicles to avoid this.

6. I tend to go in front of the car (meaning over the line) if that looks like the safest option for me. Generally won't stay between cars unless they're both way past the line, and getting in front of them would mean I'd be too close to the intersection.

I haven't heard of anyone being booked for it, but I'm sure it would happen. I just do a cost benefit safety wise, and figure being visible to the drivers, and not initiating a race, is worth more to me than the slight possibility of getting a ticket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I’m really glad someone asked this question. I’m beginning to filter when I feel I’m able to or when appropriate. But when I get to the front I find almost all cars are on over the line and I’m middling it which makes me uncomfortable. I tried to point my front wheel ‘at’ a particular lane to indicate to drivers what my intentions are, but I worry about my poor little 2fiddy not having enough power to get away quick enough should I come across a racer (it’s only happened once).

Watching and learning from other riders is useful, but the other thing I've noticed is that there are not as many commuters as I thought there would be which means the opportunities to learn are scarcer than I'd like.

• Like Like x 1
  8. These are my thoughts as well. I'll also add that unless the person in the car is a blood relative (and even then I'd still question the decision), I wouldn't trust them not to go straight through me when the lights go green, so I always stay in between the lanes. There are still plenty of car drivers who don't know that the filtering laws have changed and take it as a challenge to their masculinity/ego/etc that you dare cut a swathe through traffic faster than they do and do whatever they can to stop you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. For many years, before legalisation of filtering, I used to commute into the centre of Sydney.

My ideal circumstance for filtering was where there was enough space and time to get to "pole position" and move into one lane, even if it meant I was a wee bit too far forward for legality.

I never got a ticket.

To me, the worst possible was being "caught" between two cars when the cars start moving...... in that position, you are, essentially, relying on the two drivers not being bloody minded.... not a great bet in Sydney rush-hour. :-(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Fair call. I've found, so far, that I'm generally away before the car drivers have taken their foot off the brake. However, there have been plenty of Speed Racers wanting to drag me, and I've been fortunate that it hasn't happened yet where both lanes wanted to do so, so I've just slotted into the vacant lane that doesn't have the Victor Bray try-hard in it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If the cars in front have enough space left behind the line for at least my back wheel then I head in front. If neither car has this, I nose just past the front of the right hand car (usually) in their lane, because I don't trust the left hand car to remember that I'm there through their A pillar.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I don't have a lot of experience filtering, as usually up here in Shepparton a traffic jam is a maximum of 5 cars waiting at a set of lights, and even that is pretty rare.

Though while I was in Melbourne the other day I tried it out in a few cases, and possibly could have used it a hell of a lot more. Travelling along the Queens Way I noticed a lot of guys running down centre lines, and getting a reasonable run, though I wanted to follow, I decided I needed to be a bit more aware of the width of my bike. A little later on coming into the city itself the gaps seemed larger ( or maybe I was less terrified ) and I started doing it then.

I imagine it would be bloody scary to be stuck between two cars if you didn't make it to the front of the queue, and I also learned that I needed to pick my targets a little better, thanks to a guy in an Audi who took personal affront at the fact that I was slightly in front of him.

Maybe I should have pointed a little more directly in front of him or conversely a little more away from him.

I would like to imagine ( naively? ) that as long as you weren't too far into the intersection and weren't inhibiting progress of pedestrians, that you should be able to be a little forward, assuming that wouldn't be enough to trigger red camera lights?

13. I've surprised myself by noticing that I've become a bit less likely to filter since it became legal in Vic. This (stop line) issue is one of the reasons, I think.
    Before, I knew that I could be booked but relied upon the common practice that police ignored slow speed filtering (unless on freeways, or on a blitz).
    Now, the rules are defined and clear and I'm waiting to see how police are going to treat filtering and stop lines.
    I also find that I'm encountering less easy options in the traffic stream, although I don't attribute that to the law change.
    Right now, I'm stopping between lanes (behind the line). If there are other bikes around, I'll stay in the queue and let them go past.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Regardless of position, best rule if you're going to filter is to be aware of when lights are going to change, be in gear and ready to go the second this happens, and give it some welly to get clear of the metal sandwich asap.

Worst thing that you can do is get to the front, and bung both bike and brain in neutral, then get caught out when the cars start moving.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Riding is a fluid thing, you need to be constantly aware of your environment. As chillibuttonchillibutton mentioned if you filter to the front, you are essentially letting everyone know you are prepared to launch as soon as it goes green.

Getting rear ended whilst being parked over the pedestrian crossing in neutral whilst you day dream isn't a good look.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I agree with CrazyCamCrazyCam .
    Whilst I don't commute, I'll risk a fine from the line than being clipped by the tool in the AMG as he attempts to regain his manhood and retake control of the lane.
    By positioning you bike clearly in front, they have to wait. If you're beside they can clip you on the way past knocking you off your bike and into the path of cars or trucks.

But like everything, common sense prevails.
    • Only filter if you have enough time to get to the front and make the driver well aware you are there.
    • Chose to filter in front of the slow car. If you're faced with a corolla on the left and a "P" plater on the right, the corolla wins every time.
    • Try to avoid filtering on the very left (third) lane as this always attracts the traffic light GP whannabe's who race away to get in front before the lane ends.
    • Don't feel like you have to filter all the time. Don't always be a rush.
    • If you are in front. Don't f&%k around. Have yourself and the bike ready to take off the moment the light turns green. This means in 1st gear, with your right foot on the peg covering the rear brake as you glance in both directions to make sure no one has run the red.

Cheers
    NFI.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The bit I should have explained better was, you get to the front line.

You look at the car on either side of you.

You try and pick the hoon with Dad's V8 Commode, and go in front of the other car.

Once in a blue moon, the other car IS an AMG Merc.

Then, you sit between them, look directly at their drivers and rev your engine a couple of times.

When the lights change, one or other or both drivers are quite likely to go screaming off, and you can slot in behind whichever famous hero wins.

One caveat on my system is that I wouldn't try this where I don't KNOW the sequence of the lights.

I certainly wouldn't be the least interested in filtering in Melbourne, 'cos I don't know the lights there.

When you commute, you fairly quickly, learn the lights and their timing and sequence, when you pass through them everyday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Oh, aye, and, as chillibutton said...... you don't stop, select neutral and then decide to straight your tie or check how cool you look in the shop window....... you concentrate on being ready to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Great discussion.

I prefer to stop in front of a car, in one lane, rather than sitting between two cars. I take the risk and stop a little further forward of the line as all you need is the car driver behind you watching the wrong light and jumping it.. Still a risk, but so is everything. As others have said though, no need to always filter through, if I can see the light is about to change I'll just stop in my lane with enough of an escape route in case anyone behind doesn't look like stopping.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 100% agree with this, Pick the slowest car out of the 2 get it front so the driver see's you and be ready to go as soon as its hits green.