Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Filtering is not queue jumping. Big safety and congestion benefits flow: An opinion piece.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by robsalvv, May 8, 2012.

1. #1 robsalvv, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Interesting article from America - points out that filtering is not queue jumping and also makes mention of the safety benefit of filtering via referencing the EU MAIDS study.

For you consideration:

By the way, the DOT paper mentioned, includes a reference to a paper written by our own Tony E.

• Like Like x 29
  2. Makes sense.

3. Excellent find Rob.

Any chance of stickying this?

Or better yet, a section dedicated to useful material on the filtering issue.
  4. I agree
    , makes perfect sense
  5. Interesting find and timely.

I was watching the news last night and they were talking about how the congestion in Sydney is going to get so bad that on some major roads the average speed will be as low a 20kmh.

It was suggested that they need to come up with radical and new concepts on how to use the roads etc.

I immediately thought of the answer (this will annoy Hornet, because motorcyclists know best). Encourage people to use powered two wheelers and ammend the law to explicitly allow filtering if not splitting as well.

It might also help if road users were taught how to use the lanes correctly.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I like this it is honest. None of us really filter because of the safety benifits, although we know they are there. We filter because it is faster and if you don't, well you may as well commute in a car.

I also wouldn't filter if I thought I was slowing people down. Yes, you sometimes do slow the cars you pass down a tiny bit (however, usually you are out of there like you are invisible and nobody is affected at all), but at the same time every car behind you is sped up by a car length whenever you do filter, the positives far out weigh any negatives for effects on others..
  7. Good write up.
  8. Excellent post, when I started riding I said I wouldn't be one of those crazy lane splitters. Now I'm starting to realise they aren't so crazy after all. All this being said people who only drive cars will always think lane splitters are idiots. Nothing will change that I'm guessing which is a shame.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I saw that as well, there were a few motorcyclists on the images of traffic but none were splitting. I wonder if that was deliberate, you can't remind people that we already have a solution.

Got to love a conspiracy.
  10. Just wanted to quickly point out that the author's interpretation of the results of that study is pretty misleading. The "five times" figure would only hold true for any single point in time if motorcyclists in the sample regions spent equal amounts of time filtering and stopped in traffic. If the riders spend a lot more time stopped in traffic than they do filtering, then the different representation in crash statistics might not be significant. If the reverse is true, then the figure may actually be higher. Working out the distribution of time spent across the two activities would be pretty damn hard, but its worth mentioning that, of the countries sampled in the study, Italy seems to be the only one where filtering is actually legal (why does the author write that "Better yet [the study] was performed in Europe where filtering is legal"?). In short, regardless of what I actually believe, there's not enough information there to say that this study, alone, says anything specific about filtering.

On a side note, the author has compared one figure from the table showing the motion of the motorcycles/scooters before the "precipitating event," which is the event deemed to have most directly led to the crash, with another figure from the table showing the motion of motorcycle/scooters after the "precipitating event" but before the collision. Should have just stuck with the first category, which would have given a 2.8/0.4% figure, although I suspect that "Travelling wrong way, against opposing traffic," which accounts for about 1% in both tables, might actually mean filtering on the outside like they do in the UK.
  11. Why bother working on a time based distribution? On a per km basis it is clear that filtering is infinitely safer than staying stopped in traffic.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Hahaha, I see what you did there. ;)
  13. Filtering is not queue jumping. Queue jumping leads to the person who acted responsibily by queueing suffers disadvantage from the queue jumper. Virtually all the time I filter, I do not hold anyone up and they suffer no disadvantage from my actions.

Even if I do marginally hold some driver up on the odd occasion, what he notices is me and not all the otehr filters who have gone ahead of me and reduced congestion so he can benefit, just as I am giving advnatge to the drivers behind him by reducing congestion.

However, many (most?) drivers do percieve filtering as queue jumping. In my experience it can lead to road rage.

Consequently it would be really good if we could get the message out there that filtering benefits drivers.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Yeh, but the same abuse of stats is held against us daily, so I'm fine with it.

In broad terms, his point is still valid, filtering riders appeared less in the fatality stats than riders that weren't filtering.

Not a hard message to sell.
  15. nice read - just posted the results of a survey by the California Office of Traffic Safety on filtering in the Research/studies forum (same as Deadsy posted above)
  16. does he not say earlier before coming to his conclusion that filtering is done because its faster first and foremost and all other reasons are secondary.

and yet he comes to the conclusion that in fact he does it too remind startled people.

This guy seems intelligent.
  17. I can't say I remember having this view before riding. And I didn't think about riding til I decided I needed a vehicle and a bike would be fun. I think if most people thought of us as queue jumpers there would be a lot more road rage towards us. I would say my positive interactions with cars, where they make space, out numbers the negatives, where they deliberately block me 10 to 1. There is definitely the queue jumper mentality out there but I think we expect it to be far greater then it actually is. Most cagers are far smarter then we give them credit.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Sue is a policy advisor at TAC.