Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Filtering and other acts?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by aerodynamic, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Went for a short ride with a friend this evening. at every lights, and in the straighter sections we were riding along side each other in the same lane.

Stopped next to each other for chit chat at lights.

Is this illegal to do in NSW?

Also how illegal is filtering to the front at the lights?

These are acts ive only done a couple times, but twice ive been looking to filter to the front and i've seen a cop on the other side of the lights...so i didnt filter.

2. Two-wheelers (motorcycles, scooters, bicycles) can ride two-abreast in a lane, or if it is a single lane road they must ride "not more than 1.5m apart"... You know, basically pretending they're the left and right wheels of a car.

I can't remember the specific rule number, but riding 2-abreast is: Totally legal and explicitly written as such.

Filtering is hazy grey in NSW, particularly since the "overtaking on the left" rule was expanded (in NSW only!!) to allow vehicles to overtake on the left of a stopped vehicle, provided it is safe to do so. I think it's rule #146 from memory?

If you're being careful, moving slowly, not being a dick, you should be okay... But caveat empor.
  3. Rule 141 part 1(c) :wink:
    just looked it up for another thread.

im positive that filtering and splitting are both completely legal if done correctly. for Vic im sure, and im pretty confident with NSW, as you have very similar laws, and the added advantage of the aformentioned amendment.

pass on the RHS of the other vehicle, within the same lane. there is no law saying two vehicles cannot share a lane. you must indicate. pass without colliding with the other vehicle or blocking their path.

done, and no laws broken.
    but thats a whole other can o' worms... :bolt:
  4. Ah, yes.

146 is: "Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the excercise bicycle in the womens gym will be discharged without trial."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.