Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Filter Fail - Cop not phased!!!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by SarcasticGamer8, May 18, 2011.

1. This morning I was riding to work and decided to skip through traffic that was built up at a roundabout.

The road leading into the roundabout is a single lane each way.
    The only way to cut through on the left side of the cars is to own an off-road bike, which I don't.

So my only two options were to sit in traffic like a cage, or cut on the right side of the cars, meaning I would either be on the white lines or on the wrong side of the road.

I was cautious in my approach and only moved forward when there was no oncoming traffic, there was plenty of time to see vehicles and react accordingly.

As I start to ride past the traffic, a cop car decides to appear in the oncoming traffic.
    I pull back into the lane as I would have if it was any car and was just waiting to see the lights flashing as there is no chance they didn't notice me riding ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD! But nothing, not even a nod of dis-approval as they went past.
    If they were watching in their rear-view mirror they would have seen me back on the wrong side of the road again.

Now if I was just filtering or even splitting between two lanes going in the same direction I could understand them not caring or even noticing, but I was on the wrong side of the road. I'm not complaining that I didn't get a fine, just expressing my surprise.

Has this happened to anyone? And is this still considered filtering or just overtaking?
  2. Don't take it as precedent. Cops sometimes have something better to do than book people for traffic infrindgement even if the infringement is quite bad. Othertimes they wont have anything better to do and pull you up for something quite minor. Count yourself lucky.
  3. He was going to pick up his donuts,
    You were lucky,
  4. I can just imagine a keyword search spider-thingie-ma-jig-i-am-not-a-geek-so-don't-know-what-they're-called finding this thread and emailing it to a IT cop who will then process this to upper management and then issue a note out to all the cops to be more vigilant and book bikers more often, and then we'll see a similar thread whinging about getting booked. ;)
  5. Agreed. And why is your title FILTER FAIL?

(Just as others have said, it could of gone either way pending if the cops could bother)
  6. Good question Bax... maybe it should have been Filter Almost Fail?
    I guess people were expecting to read that I crashed whilst trying to filter.

This is what happens when I try to discretely go on Netrider at work.

Oh well, lets chalk it down to a TITLE FAIL and move on.
  7. Hahaha, if it gets to the point where cops need to be told by outside sources that they need to be more vigilant against motorist driving on the wrong side of the road, then something is definitely wrong with them.
  8. Probably not a traffic cop.
  9. Mate thats fair enough, but just to answer your last line, I would be thinking you are overtaking, not filtering!
    You havent mentioned either how the road lines are marked!
    Broken lines doesnt mean you cant cross them, IF thats the case.
  10. if you didnt cross a solid line you were only making a safe overtaking manoevre
  11. Noticed you ride a Hyosung & felt you'd suffered enough I expect.

12. Most of 'em only enforce it when they are told to. It can be tricky to find a provable offense, and they've got better things to do.
  13. I will check the lines tonight on my way home, pretty confident it was a double solid line.

Bax - I think by now it is established that I have misused the term 'filtering'.
    MV - this comment was bound to happen at some point. And I expect to see more of them in the near future.
  14. Absolutely, but don't take it to heart, & notice then smiley on the end. This denotes a joke.

15. have filtered passed a paddy wagon (by accident) and nothing happened
    it was in bumper to bumper traffic though, so guess nothing could happen
  17. No worries MV, joke noted. Will add a smiley or hahaha next time to indicate this.

Agreed Riderman, I think that even if the cops did notice and care, they probably still would have decided that it was not worth the effort of doing a u-turn and negotiating dead still traffic.
  18. So basically, you do something 'wrong' and are asking to be booked for it?
  19. Not asking to be booked, just surprised I wasn't even given a look by the cop as he passed by for it.

Apparently I need to 'filter' my thoughts more before I start a thread. :-w