Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Figured out why I have problems turning right

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Supplied, Apr 4, 2007.

1. I've alway been uncomfortable taking right turns. Even when going for my L's the instructor said a lot of people aren't comfortable turning right. And from memory a few people have said the same on here.

I noticed when turning right i would be holding onto the front brake, so my hand was never fully on the throttle, so my hand wouldn't have a firm grip and the bouncing around would jerk on the brake slightly throwing my balance more out, not to mention my elbow would be pressed near my side making it an awkward angle.

The next corner I took, i didn't use the brake at all. Had a firm grip on the throttle and zipped through the corner without any problems. Started using the rear brake more when cornering. Confidence increased straight away. Now I can use the front break while cornering when required and feel that I have full control of the bike.
  2. Hmmmm, Im glad you have found another way because your previous technique had me concerned :?

Cornering has been talked about heaps on NR so maybe do a search on the topic, but generally the advise is set your speed or do your braking before the turn. Cover your front brake but stand the bike up if you are going/need to apply. Rear brake is helpful at slow speeds ie: roundabouts or generally to help stablise during a turn.

3. never ever ever ever evr well you get the point use the front brake while cornering, it will bring you unstuck more times then it will save you

did you instructor show yo what happens when turning with very little front brake if not he wants he rear end kicked, and his instructors license cancelled
  4. Never use the front brake while cornering. It will always end in grief.

I don't even cover the front brake whilst cornering simply for the above reason.

haha..beat me by 2 mins qbn. :LOL:
  5. great minds think alike :p
  6. They actually teach you at HART to brake around a corner with the front brake. I use front brake going into a corner but as you lean it over more, the more the front brake needs to be let off I guess. :)

7. thats funny coz both hart and stay up right have told me not to use the front, only to use it pre-corner to slow down
  8. This is mainly if you come around a corner and have no choice but to wash off speed or stop in a hurry. Otherwise not recommended.
  9. Yikes! nightgash - that is wrong..wrong..wrong!!! Do you know what happens if you use your front brake whilst going through a corner? The bike will go down and you with it. Never use the front brake going through a corner...okay!!! Just trust me on this!

lol @ qbn :LOL:
  10. Thanks for the replies! I was never told not to use the front brake when cornering right. Always felt too much control was involved not to let the bike come to a sudden stop and just drop straight down. I've had my bike stall and fall on at least 4 times when taking a right turn. Managed to catch the bike before it hit the ground.

I've never had any problems with light pressure on the front brake when cornering left.

I want to be really clear on this one. Should i NEVER use my front brake when cornering? or are the some situations when you really should. I've been riding for only 3 years, so my technique's still need a lot of improving. Just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing.

Cheers! :)
  11. another theory - I grew up and learned to ride my pushbike and drive in north america. When I moved here, got my license, I found turning right easy, and turning left difficult. Why? Because turning right in NA means you don't have to worry about cross traffic, and on my pushbike i could 'zoom' around the corner. I got really comfortable going right, and just okay going left. It initially transferred to my riding.
  12. It's all about throttle control and speed set-up prior and avoid front brake.
  13. +1 Nixon (except the rear brake in a turn thing!) and +1 Doit.

Just to elaborate on Doit's post, set your speed well before the corner, then as you tip into the corner, crack open the throttle lest you want to slow down, then when comfortable, progressively and gradually roll on throttle till you spot your exit at which time you can pick the bike up out of its lean and accellerate out.

As you get more skilled, you can get the braking to finish just as you tip in... and even more advanced is trailing the braking off as you tip in and start going through the corner... both really best used on roads you know very well or the track.

The gradual roll on stabalises the bike more than it would be if you just maintained the same speed through a corner. The weight transfer will be on the back wheel. If you're slowing through a corner or braking, then the bike isn't that stable and the front will be loaded up.

If you cover your front brake in a corner and hit a bump, there's a chance you'll momentarily apply some extra brake which will do all manner of things to the bike. IF your speed is low enough that there is enough traction available to cover the indiscretion, you'll get around the corner. BUT if the available traction is less than the bike just demanded... down you will go.

The very first thing taught at the SBS cornering schools is throttle control - after that, there are another 14 more pointers/skills in their syllabus for cornering well...

14. Well, that's not entirely true - and a close look at anyone racing professionally will show you that they do in fact use front brake around corners.

But it's definitely an advanced technique - high risk and useful only in very limited situations. Certainly not something I'd be teaching to learners.
  15. I had this same issue but on dirt bikes, i could flick the rear end out on the dirt turning left, but my right turns my front wheel would always wash out in the gravel and would come off, i realised i was sitting too far back on my right turns that there was no grip on the front.

It would be different for the road, but now that im sitting further forward i can flick the rear out round my right hand turns good now.

Oh and i never use the front brake on dirt around a corner. Rear brake, clutch , gas, steer with my rear wheel.
  16. Well at HART we were made to ride through a easy 90 degree bend. Start at 25 km/h and slowly apply the brakes to come to a stop.

What I was talking about was applying a lot of braking while you are straight up and down coming up to a corner. Just before corner speed is established I start to turn in. As the turning forces act on the bike and front tire there is no front brake applied. The turning in and very little front brake washed off that extra 5 km/h I had while entering. I don't do this when riding normally, but it feels natural when trying to go fast :twisted: :twisted:

I think you can still lightly use front brake when leaned over just a smiget.
  17. glad to hear that you use it and it improves your cornering. however be very caution on wet road.
  18. Most of the major points have been covered, but I'll add my comments just to add credence to them.

Setting aside the advanced techniques of brake use, for general riding, it is true that you should try hard NOT to use your brakes mid corner. You should have set yourself up correctly BEFORE the corner, and have a little throttle applied maintain speed and stabilize the bike through the turn - then be applying power smoothly as you begin your exit.
    I usually advocate that a little rear brake 'can' be used if required to help smooth things out even more..but only if req'd.

Front braking should NOT be used unless you absolutely have to...
    do not even 'cover' the front brake, as you should be concentrating on throttle control.

For tight/slow speed turning - NEVER - use your front brake...forget about it...don't cover it!, stay away from it!...use your rear brake exclusively, and you will have an immense amount of control - it's really the only way to go! :)

That's the basics as I practice them, more or less..

19. Ive done the HART intermediate and SU Advanced. As far as corning technique goes they dont teach you to use the front brake during cornering. They do show you have to emergency stop whilst in a corner. This involves slowing applying the front/rear brakes as you stand the bike up. The more you have the bike upright the harder you brake until your at a complete stop..

20. Yes tony but thats still teaching people to brake in a corner. But I don't brake in a corner anyway, I brake before I lean. Its good though that HART taught us to brake in a corner if we needed to like in an emergency.

This is what I have been saying, it can be done safely. People saying you cannot use braking in a corner because you will crash are wrong. You can use brakes in a corner or while leaned over. It all depends on the amount of braking and the lean angle. But I'm not saying you should brake in a corner when riding normally.... :oops: :oops: