Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Few Pics From My First DIY Maintenance

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Kargo, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I did a short motorbike maintenance course two weeks ago at the St George & Sutherland Community College (can't seem to find it on their website at the moment). Only cost about $150 for two 5 hour days (consecutive weekends). Great course, learnt all the basic maintenance bits and pieces. Highly recommend it for any other noobs out there or people that want to learn more about their bikes.

Having already bled the brakes and cleaned the calipers (completely removed from wheel, existing break pads re-used) during the course, i decided to try out a few of the other things i learnt during the course.

Replaced missing bolt on front wheel (used to help hold speedometer cable in place). Must have been missing when i bought the bike.

Changed the oil. This was a bit of a drama in itself because when i tried to put the new oil filter in i accidentally stripped the threads off one of the screws. Had to place a special order for the part at a hyosung dealer, bike was sitting in the garage for half a week without any oil :( When i finally got the part i had to take half the engine apart to replace it!

Noticed the exhaust was very rusty so i took it off, gave it a good sand, coated with rust converter and then lots of coats of heat proof paint.

Cleaned and lubed the chain.

Cleaned the fairings, which by the way are already dirty again

BTW i didn't really use BAM, just find their adds ludicrous!
  2. Whoops, didn't realise the pics where so big...

Oh and here's a little tip for the other noobs out there: Only put the recommended amount of oil into your bike, do not overfill the oil tank!

Don't ask me how it happened, wasn't paying enough attention or something, but i ended up putting about 1L too much oil in the tank. When i went to ride the bike i couldn't shift into neutral at the traffic lights ](*,) Took me a while to realise what had gone wrong. I tried to siphon out the oil but ended up having to completely drain the tank again and refill with the correct amount of oil. Very annoying since i had to take the fairings off again.

Bike is better than even now.
  3. Ah kicking myself, damn, I was going to do this course a while ago, and it just completely slipped my mind, I've been using my Haynes service book and just been doing the beginner stuff, hopefully if I do remember to do this course in the future I'll get some more hands on experience.

Will have to set a reminder on my Google Calendar to check the SGSCC website every week or so.

Your GT250 pipes look awesome when cleaned up a bit.

Thanks for the reminder ;)
  4. What a dumb design.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. not sure TBH, can PM you the instructors email address if you like.
  6. Bam is obviously not as good as advertised, the bike hasn't disappeared :LOL:

Seriously though, it's a bit strong for a bike isn't it, it does contain hydrochloric acid....
  7. I found your editing amusing, thank you.

I also found the pictures interesting, i'm a maintenance noob, as soon as i start taking things apart i lose screws and nuts and everything!

I lose a bolt every time i take the fairings off.
  8. Actually, I think that's quite a good design. Why? Because you can replace the stud. That's easier and better than stripping the threads out of the alloy cases, which is big problem for your beginner mechanic.

Nice work, Kargo.
  9. Kargo, I have the same bike and have a question in regards to the oil level. Do you read the level meter as it sits when the bike is on the stand or when it is held up right?

Good work on doing the course, I think I will research a place in Melbourne that does something similar. It would definitely be worth the $.
  10. Haha we share the same trait. The bolts on my fairings goes 1, 2, miss a few.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. upright
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hum...not sure if it would damage the fairings...anyway i didn't use any. As in my original post "BTW i didn't really use BAM, just find their adds ludicrous!". I can see how you could miss that, tucked away below the last photo and all.

Glad you found it amusing, once i got started i couldn't stop. I know what you mean about loosing nuts and bolts. Easy fix though, place all removed parts in an area they won't be kicked around. Oh, and be sure to remeber were each bit goes :p

I was just thinking the same thing, great design. Out of curiosity, what would happen if you did strip the threads out of an alloy case? I assume you would have to fill the hole with an appoxy and re-thread it?

As AZ said, the bike needs to be upright when you check the oil level.
  13. Not sure how you over fill a bike with 1L of oil.
  14. There are several options, including the epoxy trick - which is really only a stop-gap to get you home or to the shop. One option is to drill the hole and tap it to a larger size and fit a fatter bolt. Another is to weld the hole up and re-drill it and tap to the correct size (Not easy, not quick, not cheap, and not popular with mechanics and technicians because it's a lot of work and tends to be awkward and fussy, and the chance of f#cking it up is quite high.) You can also drill the hole and tap larger, and then insert a heli-coil or some similar thread insert product. This is the way they usually fix it.

NOTE: For beginner mechanics. Stripped threads on bolts are easy to fix. Change the bolt. Stripped threads on holes are hard to fix. Because of Murphy's Law, and the materials commonly used to make bolts v holes, bolts don't often strip. Holes do. If you strip a hole - take it to a pro to fix. More often than not, trying to fix it yourself will make a bad situation worse. If you're not sure how tight something needs to be done up then leave it a bit 'loose' and check it after 1km, 10km, and 100km and see. Cheaper than ripping the threads out of a crankcase and having to take the engine out and split the cases to fix it.

Case in point - you discover a small oil leak some place around the crankcases of your bike. It is good to get the spanner / screw-driver / allen key out and check whether the bolts nearest the leak are loose. It is not good to discover that they don't seem to be, but they must be (right?) because it's leaking. Don't swing on the allen key to fix a very minor oil leak. You'll turn a very small problem into quite a nasty problem.
  15. Keep old takeaway containers and put them in that.
  16. Excellent work with the pictures Kargo, you're a good communicator - you're not a tech writer or trainer by any chance?

Can't say enough about the value in getting to know your bike and being able maintain and repair the simple stuff.

17. Thanks bud! Good guess =D> I'm an electrical engineer by trade (building services consultant).

Yes indeed. Gotta love hands on work (y)
  18. that bike course is next up in early october and should be listed again on their website early september....ummm make sure you leave a place for me tho!