Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Fender Eliminators

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by scooter, Sep 8, 2006.

1. What laws if any govern the fitting of fender eliminators or the alterrration/removal of rear bin lid fenders?

Anybody?

2. Hi Scooter,

None that I can think of!

If you would like to have a look at the vic roads site under rules and regulations there in the drop down menue the is a link for roadworthiness.
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI 26.pdf

It should not effect the road worthy.

The only other laws that might inpact you is it has sharp edges that can pose a danger to others!

Not sure about the rest!

Cheers

3. Australian Design Rules affect the standards applied to bikes that are imported/sold in Australia. These rules are often pretty stupid, but they don't apply to bikes in use on the street: they apply to what you can sell.

Some ADRs are supported by state laws. Some are not. So if you cut down your fender, it is unlikely to be illegal unless you ride in a state that has ratified the ADR that governs what fenders have to be on new bikes.

For instance, ADRs used to ban 'asymmetrical headlights', and for a while Ducati had to disfigure the 916 with a tacky square headlight on a fibreglass upper fairing to sell them at dealers. Once bought, the dealer would put on the upper fairing and headlight we all know and love.

Ignore the ADRs unless you are a dealer/importer and just make sure state law allows it. It will perhaps be a matter of interpretation.

4. This could be bullshit..but a bikeshop said the mudguard has to be 45 degrees from the rear axle. The other thing is you need a light over your plate, some fender eliminators come with them and you also need a reflector.
    The plate has to be mounted on an angle so you can see it from 20 meters back aswel. This is too be legal..

5. I have not done specific reasearch, but have heard that for a fender eliminator you need to have a rear hugger, so that stones and such dont fly out from the back wheel and hit the vehicle behind.

6. Heinz_Guderian:

Do you know which states enforce ADR's as state laws?

7. nsw law

The fender eliminators are legal if you have the lights and add a mud guard conforming vsi28 on the rta website. sorry i cant post url's yets.

Hope this helps for those of you in nsw

8. (sorry, I'm not Heinz)
    ADR's are the MINIMUM standards required Australia wide. The states through their RTA or Vic Roads can impose additional requirements for the registration of the vehicle, no state can lower the standards of the ADR's, if one state has imposed an additional requirement, the manufacturer would include it on all vehicles, even though the other states did not require it.

with rear guards etc, very little online info, but this is little help... this link to VSI regarding mudguards (in NSW), see item #4.
    :)

9. What state is the OP from?

In Victoria, a typical fender eliminator would make the bike unroadworthy (technically), meaning a possible Defect and, even a ticket for "Failing to Meet the Standards for Registration".

10. I'm pretty sure in the ACT your plates have to be visible from 20m away. Apart from that I dont think there are any laws that dictate how your plate must be mounted.

11. I was pulled over not so long ago in relation to my fender eliminator. Luckily it was a nice cop on a bike who just wanted to warn me. As mentioned your plate must be visible up to twenty metres away at 45 degree angle. He didn't mention about me not having a reflector but I know that in QLD you can get fined for lack there of. Saying that nowhere does it state the size the reflector needs to be so I would just fit a small one off a bicycle. Make sure the fender eliminator you buy has a plate light as well. As far as huggers are concerned, I would suggest everyone have one as it stops all the road grime and shit getting up into your shock.

12. They are illegal from memory
    I remember that the rear mudgard has to come down a certain distance and be at a certain angle from the tyre.
    If you cut the rear gaurd it makes the bike unroadworthy under the law.
    also the law also says you have to have the reflector on there.
    you can mount the reflector anywahere , but it must be on the back facing rearward.

This has come up before , in a thread about chopping the rear mudflap / Gaurd .
    There is actually a picture someone posted showing the rear wheel and the angle of the gaurd etc.

13. I got a canary on my new Gixxer about 2 months ago for fender eliminator. I didnt have a number plate light so of course i knew that was wrong, but the 2!! solo cops that pulled me over said didnt matter as eliminator illegal anyway. Asked them about the fact I had no hugger and they said thats no problem at all. Went to Vicroads and the lady that had to tick off the paperwork had no idea what she wa looking at, she even asked what a fender eliminator is. When I explained it to her she said her son had a sportsbike and she was gonna have a look at it that night! :grin:

14. I've mentioned in the past - I'm surprised that nobody does something like BMW's wheel-mounted rear spray catcher to make up for an eliminated fender.

On cruisers there's a "hugger" that covers the entire top and back of the wheel, and it's necessary because often the seat doesn't go over the top of the wheel.

On our sporty bikes, with the seat going over the top of the rear wheel, the bike already satisfies about 2/3s of the required "mudguard" coverage. The last 1/3 is made up by a fender that hangs down to the 45 degree angle.

BMW's GS bikes (which have quite high seats) approach it a different way and have a short fender/plate mount on the seat, and a seperate wheel-mounted crud catcher to do the final part of the required coverage.