Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Fender eliminators - Illegal or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by supersi, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Am I right in thinking that most fender eliminators/tail chops are illegal, given the following link...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi28.pdf

It looks like you have to have either a mudguard or fender that stretches as far back as the rear of your tire? Also, if you cut the end of your frame off to bring everything forward, does this need an engineer's certificate - even if it is the rear most inch or inches from your frame; and you still have welded cross braces in place. If you don't have an engineer's certificate could your insurance company use this as a way out of paying a claim? If you get an engineer's certificate for such a modification does this have a negative impact on your insurance premiums ie, does it cost more to insure?

Am I over anlaysing? Anyone have any experience positive or negative?

2. The vast majority of fender eliminators will render your bike un-roadworthy.

3. Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Probably.
    Yes.
    Dunno.

• Like Like x 1
  4.  Top
  5. Makes you wonder about the logic of the law and the people who enforce the law doesn't it.

6. Interesting then how it got in to the country and is allowed to be sold.

I think it's the Cherry (car) that can't be sold in Victoria because it doesn't have enough airbags or some such thing.

If the states can do that, why do they allow a bike to be sold that doesn't meet the states requirements.

I wouldn't be pointing the finger at the manufacturer's, but rather directly at the various state regulators.

7. same way you can purchase aftermarket HID kits, hunting spotlights, under car LEDs, uber low springs, cold air intakes.

most of which will make the vehicle unroadworthy.

most also have a little label somewhere saying that it is not designed for on road use, or check with your states rules before taking on the road

8. Manufacturers simply say 'not for road use' or 'check local laws and regulations'.

They just want to make money by selling things
    They don't care what happens once they get their cash.
    It's the riders choice to modify their bike outside of the regulations.
    Manufacturers shouldn't be blamed for giving people choices.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 supersi, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    ...so how come Deus Ex Machina stay in business? If you look at their current list of available bikes I'd say 40%-50% of them don't meet the rear fender/mudguard/hugger requirements for NSW. Do they just rely on people's ignorance of the law to sell their machines OR is there some weird law I don't know about that gives Deus an exemption?

Check 'em out they're beautiful ...but illegal, if you follow the letter of the law.

http://au.deuscustoms.com/motorcycles/stock/

10. Where do they say that? on the rear mud guard? That's what YOU say, not the manufacturer.

Try reading the thread first Jay77 because you do not make sense.

The posts you responded to were not about RIDERS modifying their bike outside regulations, but rather manufacturers who import vehicles which you take off the showroom floor, are liable to receiving defect notices.

Justus.

11. Just like half the machines Deus Ex Machina sell. Are they relying on people's ignorance, disregard for the law or do Deus have an out, that I don't know about?

12. Now that is a good question! :)

I believe that their main business is actually selling very expensive tee-shirts and stuff.

They do sell motorcycles which are quite openly "not for road use".

A few years back, I went to their shop to see the anniversary model of the Honda Z50, and was told that it didn't have a compliance plate and couldn't be registered.

But they'd still sell it to me if I wanted it.

The world is full of strange people, including people who buy motorbikes not to ride, but to park in their billiard rooms or whatever.....(shrug)

The R90 Beemer looks quite tasty, and legal, too.

13. Hi All,
    I have a 1984 XJ600 that is an ongoing project. I want to cut down the rear mudguard however, I've checked my ADR's concerning rear mudguards and its pretty clear that legally I can't cut mine down. If i draw a line at 45 deg from the axel it meets at the bottom of the guard which also is in line vertically with the rear of the wheel (as it should be according to law)

BUT... How come on many new streetfighter style bikes their is virtually no rear guard? How do they pass the RWC, and is there anything I can do to cut mine down without getting a fine from Mr Plod?? Any thoughts.

14. technically I think the licence plate counts as part of the rear mudguard as such an interesting point would be if u were to employ a "fender eliminator" type system that makes it appear as if u have no mudguard where in fact the "fender eliminator" would be considered the guard & could there for theoretically allow u to mount the licence plate in such a way as that it would be both legally & aesthetically appealing

15. Have you seen how Ducati and BMW manage this with the diavel and GS? There's a separate bracket that is independent of the rear fender. This would allow you to cut the fender down. Can't post pics from the phone but google image search should help you out.

16. I do believe this is the style of licence plate holder that was referenced

ducati_monster_1100_evo_single_exhaust_sc_project.

17. That's the one.

18. Looks horrid

19. #19 Vertical C, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Doesnt look to be a contiguous 45 degrees

Most of the deus bikes only get ridden for a couple of kms between newtown and leichardt, if you want to actually ride it places, you might have to strike a bit more reasonable comprimise.

20. Umm, thanks guys, i'll look at the links, maybe go and see a RWC inspector??
    BTW Mr JaiT love that bike in your Avatar, that's me all over...love it!