Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fender eliminator same thing as tail tidy?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Strat, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Hi All
    Sorry for the lack of knowledge in regards to this question but im looking at getting a tail tidy for my 2009 cbr1000rr fireblade. Any advice would b good!

2. #2 Mooney, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    Same thing different name. If you are looking for a tail tidy both achieve the same solution

Just be aware as I wasn't. It's 3 demerit points if the police choose to do you for it. I removed mine to save the hassle

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wow.... I didn't know that! Gees thanks man!
    I see lots of bikes same year model as mine with tail tidys.... I wonder if they know that!

4. You would be quite unlucky for a cop to do you for it but the risk is there. I removed mine as I only had 3 points left lol. I had it on for 3 months and never got pulled over. Your choice mate. They do look 10 times better. I miss mine

5.  Top
  6. Cheers mooney, your right they do look better. I spoke to a guys today and he reckons you only get done if the number plate has no light above it.

7. I'm still unsure as to what the new laws will allow. my understanding was the extra wide section of mud guard that is added to the fender is removed leaving the long number plate holder section? Australia added the wide section to them. And I also thought the new paper work on the rules for the new fenders was not clear cut to be able to use against a fine? I'm sure there are people on here with a much better understanding than me though

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hi All,

Hope this is not too wordy, but you now can 100% have a tail tidy on your motorcycle as of the 26th of Sept 2014.

Basically the rule before said the following: (But this rule has now been removed completely and now the new rule only talks about a front guard)

The wheel guard provided for the rear wheel and for the wheel of any side-car must extend not less than from a point vertically above the foremost part of the wheel rearward to a point not higher than the intersection of the arc of the wheel guard with a line through the centre of the wheel at 45 degrees to a horizontal plane through the centre of the wheel when a mass of 45 kg is distributed in the saddle of the vehicle at its ‘Unladen Mass’.

Please see the following two links from the Department of Infrastructure:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013C00237 (Prior sept 26th 2014-section 14.3.3.1)

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014C01110 (After sept 26th 2014-section 14.3.3.1.)

I also rang the Department of Infrastructure, and they confirmed 100% that you now do not have to have that ugly tail on your bike.

So you can't get a fine for this anymore, which is great for some, but not for others who already have been stung in the past.

Thanks

9. Yay!
    So now I just need to find a fender eliminator for my lil yammy...

10. great info and great news! Cheers Daniel!

11. I would still be careful about fitting a fender removal kit

AFAIK
    - a rearward facing red reflector must be fitted.
    - the number plate sufficiently illuminated
    - the number plate located and angled appropriately to be visible at certain angles
    - there are still rules about how much of the rear tyre must be covered

looking at the digram in the provided links above, If i fitted the one of the currently available fender removal kits for my MT09 it would still be illegal.