Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fender Eliminator - Are these ones legal??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by al77, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Just wanted to know if any one knows whether these fender eliinators (metal bracket in front of the rear wheel) are legal in vic??

2. I'm also interested. It's a daytona 675 pictured, do you have one? I saw them and thought, no way that could be legal but people in USA have them mounted that way. Do speed cameras pick up those in that position?
  3. I have one fitted to my bike and have never had anything said to me when I have been pulled over :)
  4. This debate came up on another forum not so long ago.

Basically, there are Australian Design Rules (ADR's) which pertain to vehicles, including motorbikes. There are rules about positioning the plate - mostly referencing visibility fron side angles, not being obstructed by bodywork and about illumination of the plate. There is also a maximum ground clearance rule.

The ADR's can be googled.
  5. Hey unndi

Yeah they are for a Dyatona 675... picking mine up on Saturday woohooo.

I'm looking to get one from the US, as I havn't been able to find one in Aus, they go for about 130-140USD including indicators which attach to the side of exhaust cover.. In the process of finding out what postage cost will be from them.

Also looking to get flush mounted front indicators aswell to get rid of the stalks on the fairing.

If your interested, let me know and i'lll keep you updated on the details

6. Hey Alex

try triumph675.net forums (undii and I both are there too) and there are heaps of opinions of the best fender eliminators for the 675.
  7. Nope, the bike in the picture wouldn't be legal here.

The reason bikes sold here have lots of crap hanging down from the tailpiece is that by law the rear mudguard must intersect a line running from the centre of the rear axle back behind the bike at a 45 degree angle.

In other words, take a broom handle and hold it horizontally behind the bike with one end at the rear axle. Keeping that end of the handle by the axle, lift the other end until the handle's inclined at a 45 degree angle from horizontal with the lower end remaining at the rear axle.

If your rear mudguard doesn't hang down as far as the broom handle, it's not legal.
  8. Gromit

I'll try to find the ADR in question later on at work. I'm not sure it's that specific.
  9. I recall when I looked and found the particular ADR in question a while ago (last year) it actually seemed to be almost as specific as Gromit posted.

Says he who took off his mudguard because it makes the bike look crap and now ith my new exhaust, I cant even fit a mudguard on... I think
  10. Was looking into this last week. Basically the ADR states that a mudgaurd must be fitted at a point 45 degress from the ground when measured from the centre of the wheel
    Some pdf's:
    (Can't remember which one of these two)

Check here for more info:

All motorcycles when first manufactured must comply with the ADR's. If you wish to modify the vehicle after first registration, then it is the responsibility of the State or Territory registering authorities. In most states after modification it must still comply with the ADR's. There is a National Code of Practice VSB 14(Light vehicle modifications), which advises what can be done , and if it needs engineering approval. A copy of the code is available on the DOTARS web site (http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx). Any questions should be directed to your local Registering authority.
  11. I think you'll find it's exactly as specific as I posted, only minus the broomhandle! :LOL:
  12. Sorry for the formatting, I copy/pasted straight from ADR 61/02
    L group vehicle = Moped / Motorcycle / MCycle & sidecar.
    This was all I could find. I can't see stuff about angles, etc as previously posted. Will keep looking.

Confirmation required: You're talking about an ADR pertaining to mudguards, whilst I'm specifically talking about registration plates per the original posters question. Agreed?

9.1. Registration Plates

9.1.1. All Vehicles other than L-Group Vehicles: provision must be made for mounting a registration plate (as shown in Figure 1) to be affixed to the rear of the vehicle so that no part of such plate is more than 1,300 mm from the ground. provision must be made for mounting a registration plate (as shown in Figure 1) to be affixed to the front of the motor vehicle forward of and parallel to the front ‘Axle’ so that no part of such registration plate is more than 1,300 mm from the ground. no part of a vehicle, including its standard equipment, regular production options or ‘Equipment’ must be so located as to obscure any part of the registration plate(s).

9.1.2. L-Group Vehicles Only: provision must be made for mounting a registration plate to the rear of the vehicle so that the centre of each registration plate must not be less than 300 mm from the ground.

9.2. Label Holder

9.2.1. All vehicles, other than L-Group vehicles, which have no windscreen, must have a holder for the registration label affixed to their left-hand side in such a position as to be clearly visible to a person facing the holder at a distance of 6 metres.

9.2.2. For L-Group vehicles, a holder for the registration label must be affixed in a conspicuous position on the vehicle.
  13. On the subject of the fender eliminator (rather than the location of the rego plate), here's a link to the relevant ADR.

14. Yup - so, you *could* have a rego plate situated back where the original poster specified, as long as you were no less than 300mm from the ground, but in practial terms your fender would obstruct it from view, if you kept within the ADR for rear fenders.

An interesting observation regarding my bike (2007 Daytona 675) when compared to the 2006 model - the rear fender on my bike is longer than the 2006. This leads me to believe that there must be a tolerance for rear fenders. Anyone know what it is?
  15. Thanks all, I think the answer is no its not legal. Oh well. Time to find another accessory to spend the money on
  16. I've been informed that anything that doesn't come out as a stock component on a new ADR passed vehicle, car, bike etc... is illegal.. if the cop wanted to be a pr!ck that is.
    Someone even explained to me that non OEM tyres can even be classed as illegal under this rule??? I'm like WTF???

so i'm told.... :shock:

17. thats cause technically they are illegal, get pulled over by a prick copper and dont be surprised if you cop a infringment notice for a defect
  18. Mate, just because it's against the ADR's doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I think they look beautiful!

To be honest, a lot of stuff you're going to get is going to break the ADR's. Most police don't really have a clue when it comes to motorbikes anyway - as always a smile and being honest and you can get away with murder.

Or a fenderless kit.