Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fellow Rider Down!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by iliketoride, Jul 9, 2006.

1. A rider went down into a 'safety' barrier in the Adelaide Hills this arvo, looks like too much speed into the corner and lost traction and lost his life :( RIP. I'm not a scaredy cat, but at the same time I'm not ********** going to ride within an inch of my life BUT....

How inevitable is it that you WILL go down in your life as a biker? I go for my L's with my bike to follow and its something I throw around in my mind. Most of the time I'm like as long as your careful everything should be cool but then you see a mangled wreck on the news and it hits home, especially when your a bit amped to get the bike and get going:(

2. No thoughts.

RIP whoever it was, condolences to family and friends :(
  3. Condolences to the fam of the rider :(

these risks are what riding is about, its about freedom and the ability to soar up high, however the flipside is crashing from the high. its a part of life, and while you should try to prevent it, its a part of life and shouldnt be feared or avoided. it comes to us all and its best to accept it and live your life to the fullest and say thank you to god when you have a good day and learn from your bad days.

just wait till you get your Ls and start experiencing the freedom yourself

enjoy the ride bro lifes not worth wasting in worry
  4. It is sad to hear that we lost one fellow rider.

My condolonces to the family.
  5. So very well said.
  6. Cold hard facts are the through any number of circumstances, if you ride a motorcycle, you have a high probability of parting company from it at some stage or other. That's why we harp on about helmet quality and spending a couple of grand on gear when you buy; it's not just to look good as you ride past shop windows, it's to protect you when/if you fall off.

Now, HOW you fall off, and what causes it, is a horse of a different horror altogether.

Essentially there are three sorts of crashes.

1. The suburban/commute intersection/car coming together.

The more you ride round town, the more you load the mathematical dice of the law of averages against yourself. One day, when you least expect it, some dozy dip in a car is going to pull a u-turn in front of you, or pull out of a side-street without looking, or turn right in front of you at an intersection.

These are the dangerous crashes because impact with ANYTHING before you stop sliding is going to break bones, with the best gear in the world.

Experience and spidey-sense are your friends here. One or two fingers hovering over the brake lever, and eyes and ears everywhere increase the survivability ratio; realise that NOTHING will lower the risk factors. I don't have the statistics on hand, but I believe that these sorts of crashes consititute the great majority of injuries and deaths.

2. Single-vehicle inexperience/'mistake'

These often happen on unfamiliar roads that LOOK like other roads you've ridden before. Trouble is, every road is unique, and the patched pothole on this road, just out of sight on the apex of the next left-hander, is NOT there on the road you know where you lay it over and enjoy the sensation every day on the way home from work.

Most of the Netrider crashes on group rides and on country roads have been caused by unfamiliar roads and random circumstances (Matt232's crash on a newly -surfaced section of road not often ridden, for example).

Here as long as you don't hit something before you stop sliding, and you are wearing approved gear, the majority of damage is going to be pride and motorcycle. Insurance is your friend here; don't leave home without it.

3. Single vehicle over-confidence/stupidity

The accident you describe could have been the former, or this type.

Realising that you can crash at low-ish speed and get away with it as long as you don't fall awkwardly or hit something before you stop, you should have in the back of your mind that if you

ride intoxicated, even a little,

ride under the influence of drugs,

ride too fast on roads that you don't know,

or even faster on roads that you DO, you ARE loading up more chambers in the game of motorcycling Russian Roulette.

The law of averages is NOT your friend when you ride a motorcycle because in most cases the costs of crashing are much higher, and the chances of it happening are likewise higher.

But buy your bike, get your gear, go out and build up your experience-base, have your 'oh-my-god' moments; they are all part of the rich tapestry of riding, and all part of what keeps us doing it.

{The opinions expressed here may not represent the views of the management :p}
  7. :(
    That's sad.

My philosophy of riding is that I will come off. It's just a matter of time.

Not everyone holds to that, but it's just my opinion.
  8. damn thats sad to hear. do u know where in the hills it was? because i was up in the hills yesterday on gorge at around 2-3 and didnt see anything.
  9. I was in Adelaide when that happened, and I have a copy of the Adelaide paper which has a pic of the bike after the crash for some reason. I have never seen a bike that mangled and still in one piece. Hy thoughts goes out to all affected.
  10. There's an old saying, it's rather cliched, but I believe it holds true:

"There are two types of riders, those that have come off and those that will come off."

It's just one of those things you will have to weigh up in your own mind, whether the extreme highs of motorcycling (and I'm sure everyone here will tell you how damn good it feels...) out weigh the possibility of the extreme lows of coming off and possibly dying. If you ask me, it's well worth it. As Hornet said, all we as riders can do is to minimise our chances of crashing by concentrating, learning from experience and not doing the stoopid stuff...

Vale anonymous rider, condolences to your family...
  11. Complements on the post, Hornet600, I couldn't have put it any better myself. (To any non-rider querying me on the "risks" of motorcycling, I just say "Once you accept the fact that no amount of gear will save you when you go under that commodore, then you can ride." Usually shuts them up.

Not to detract from the first post, condolences those that knew the fallen rider, another life lost is another life too many.

Safe riding, people.
  12. I think what Hornet has said is pretty much spot on...

There was another rider killed in Melbourne this morning - corner of Newry and Brunswick Streets in North Fitzroy. at 9.45. (No other details available yet) It's ones that occur where you normally ride that really bring it home.

13. I think it was near Kangarilla on the same stretch of road we recently did a group ride to Victor on. My condolences to the riders family and friends.
  14. My condolences to the family and friends too...

Know probs sounds ridiculous but I have a mate riding from melbourne to perth - not quite sure when he left (either friday or sat) - do ya know what kinda bike it was...just wanna put mind at rest that he's probably doing ok...
  15. It looks from the pic like a dark blue Yammy, possibly an older model FZ1. Hard to say as its a bit of a mess.
  16. I don't know where it is, but a recent Netrider poll indicated that at least 70% of riders dropped their FIRST BIKE at least once. So, odds are you're going to bite some tarmac in your first year or two of riding. We didn't take a poll on subsequent bikes but I'd say it would be quite a small minority of riders who never fall off a bike.

Me? I've had (counts...) 5 stacks, from intersection bingles in Hanoi to wet white-line drops to inexplicable 50k corner wipeouts to a SMIDSY to a pretty full-on encounter with a McCafferty's coach on the Great Ocean Road.

Hasn't put me off!
  17. Cheers Spud Gun...he rides copper suzuki sv so chances are he's still making his way safely...thanks for putting my mind at rest...
  18. I've heard that as "There are two types of riders, those that have come off and those that will come off again."
  19. I went on my first hills ride from Golden Grove to Gawler yesterday arvo.

When I got home I heard about the motorcyclist on the news and my first thought was that could have easily been me.

RIP rider.

Condelences to the rider's family. :(
  20. Please don't let a very sad occurrence stop you from doing something you want to do. There's always a risk that something bbad can happen whatever mode of transport you chose to use. Whilst you can't entirely be in control of your own fate, you can take actions that will lower the risk or mitigate the results.

Take training
    Don't succumb to peer pressure
    Avoid riding when tired/hungover/angry
    Wear the best gear you can afford
    Take advice from others on hazard awareness

Accidents are not inevitable and I find it depressing that people think they are. There are always things you can do to lower the risk, but no one is perfect and we all make mistakes.