Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Feet position on the pegs?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Bogus69, Mar 8, 2007.

1. I've only been ridding for 2 years, but I have noticed a bit of pain/stiffness in my left foot.

I think I know what it is from and am wondering if other have the same problem and ways to overcome it.

You know how girls that wear high heels all the time stuff up the tendonat the back of the foot - cos it is shortened with the toes pointed down?
    Well, its like that. I have my heel on the peg so I can get the toes under the gears. When I am not operating the gears my toes tend to point down thus shortening that tendon.

When I stretch the back of my leg down to the heel I can feel that it is tighter than it used to be.

I tried moving my foot further back on the peg, but then it is too far from the gear lever.

Any other practical ideas?
  2. Perhaps start stretching that area and doing a bit of gym work?
    You do any physical activity at the moment?
  3. rest the balls of your foot on the peg, not your heel. It'll stretch the tendon... and make your toes less likely to scrape
  4. I've only been riding for a few years as well, for the first few months was placing my feet in the same position as you.

Changed after that to having the balls of my feet on the pegs, feels better, feel more comfortable controlling the bike and I just move my foot forward for quick gear changes.

Became normal practice and didn't even think about it after changing.
  5. The cornering schools teach you to position your foot with the ball on the peg (and move it forward when you need to access the levers). since you shouldn't normally need to change gear of use rear brake in the middle of a corner, this is rarely a problem.
    It's generally better for bike control, and becomes more comfortable when you get used to it. Should fix your problem.
    If just riding the bike is shortening your achilles tendon, you must be spending a helluva lot of time on the bike!
    Maybe do some yoga.
  6. i ride with the balls of my feet on the peg. Pain in my dodgy ankle usually forces me to put the left fot forwards on rides over an hour or so.. with toes just above the gear lever.
  7. Hey buddy

Do a bit of a warm up before to get the blood flow going to that area and some stretching when you hop of.

Obviously others have suggested good riding tips but if you have been doing this for a while, take some time to stretch to reverse the problem.

Gym work for that area wont hurt but what your after is a warmup before to warm the area up (to loosen it up) and stretch it after (to prevent further tightness and reverse what has already occurred). Also altering your riding technique is said above.
  8. Thanks guys. I will keep trying with the foot position until it feels right :)
  9. yeah mate, the others are right. The last advanced ride day i did, the instructors pointed out that my foot was starting on the ball but working its way down to the arch.

If your really working the corners, you certainly will find being on the balls of your feet is much better. It gives you the ability to move your weight around much easier, be it just pressing down on the outside peg or shifting your whole body to get that extra lean.

But it certainly does take a bit of getting used to. It felt strange for mem at first.
  10. Move your foot back further on the pegs, and get bigger shoes to change gear :LOL:
  11. The benefit of having the ball of your foot on the pegs is that when you take a nice hard lean into a corner the tips of your shoes won't drag along the road.

Having the heal of your foot on the pegs exposes the front of your feet to ground drag when taking a corner.
  12. I ride with my arch on the pegs and switch the inside foot to the ball when cornering hard. This is how I was instructed to do it and I can't see much reason for doing it any other way (I've also noticed most professional racers seem to do this). Depending on your riding position having your balls always on the pegs may only exacerbate the problem your currently having as your feet may still be pointed in a downward direction and your also now tensing that tendon.
    Btw do you have really short feet or something? Have you tried adjusting the position of the gear change lever? Maybe it's just the position of the lever that's forcing you to get your foot right forward.
  13. I ride with my arch on teh pegs most of teh time for a couple of reasons.
    One is my boots have a noticeable step up into the heel section, so it locks the boot in place. Another reason is it is just where my feet want to be when I am using the levers. I am conscious of my toes and always tuck them up when cornering, but my bike has so much clearance it's never been close to an issue. Other bikes may vary.
    On longer trips I will slide my feet back to change angles on the knees etc.
    Regards, Andrew.
  14. I just happened to have read this a few days before the SA learner paced ride yesterday, so I gave it a go - normally rode with my arch on the peg and my feet hovering above brake/gear lever which was really painful after a while.

So, rode a hundred odd k's with the balls of my feet on the pegs and if felt so much better. No more hovering which hurt my ankles and calves. I had my feet back in place when I approached corners and other traffic, but on the whole through the majority of the ride, my feet were up and out of the way :)