Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Feeling defeated - stupid hill starts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by maplegum, Oct 26, 2010.

1. I can't take off from stop on a hill. I think I have the record for the amount of stalls in one session, it's so disheartening.

Hubby and I took some back roads so that I could practice some stuff tonight and I just can't get it. :facepalm: I either rev the heck out of the bike or let the clutch go too soon. In the end I was so upset and defeated that hubby knew it was a good time to call it quits for the night and head home. I was shaken and upset that I just couldn't do it. Man, it can't be that bloody hard can it???](*,)

Hubby tells me not to focus on the negative and focus how far I have come in 6 rides. I don't like to be beaten and feeling so stupid for not being able to take off on a hill.

2. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Practice...makes perfect :)

I take it you are using the rear brake?, if not it can be much harder to get away on a hill without rolling back or stalling.
  3. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

+1 to mister Bamm-Bamm; Are you using the rear brake as a hill-hold? :) (Left foot on the ground to hold the bike up, right foot on the rear brake, raise the revs a bit, feed the clutch out until you feel it bite, release the rear brake as you pull away)
  4. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Try doing it in your yard with a small rise, go back and forth untill you master it, it only needs 6 feet long of hill, gentle slope,
    even the gutter out the front will do, back and forwards, no turns,
    you will get there, just takes time,
  5. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Another +1
    In addition, try the technique advised by Spots some where FLAT that way you can get used to the bite of the clutch and the drag of the rear brake without the worry of rolling backwards.
  6. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

The amount of times I've practiced something, failed all day then come back the next day and got it right is astonishing.

For instance- learning how to rev match when downshifting gears (which you will learn soon enough i'm sure!) I spent hours riding around trying to blip the throttle during downshift, and feeling the bike surge and splutter. Went home defeated.

Next day, on the way to uni, without thinking about it as I got off the freeway I did a pretty smooth one, surprised myself and tried another one. Nailed it. I felt like a fool for being so angry at myself!

Just take a deep breath, relax and be patient with learning new riding skills. Use the rear brake and practice on a flat surface. You are doing well for someone with 6 rides!
  7. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

for the hill starts....

Roll on a little Throttle while keeping the back brake on.
    Slowly let out the clutch until you start to hear the engine work.
    Slowly add more throttle, and let of the brake, and the clutch, oh yes slowly to both of those too.

As you come of the brake, the engine will be pulling the bike away, or at the very least holding it in place.

You can also control how fast you take of by using the clutch. And I would suggest doing this rather than playing with the throttle. Your less likely to stall it, if you let the clutch out a bit.

Sometimes it may be better for you to, hold the bike with the clutch at hills, if your not going to be waiting to long.
  8. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Wut :-s

Even though they're wet clutches, this will **** the clutch extremely quickly. Just use the rear brake
  9. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Interesting, I have been told the complete opposite by 2 very experienced riders. Bike is going in for a service on Thurs, will put this one to the mechanic.
  10. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

+1 on practice makes perfect. I did numerous number of hill starts (and stalling numerous times) in the car park in my apartment (which has some pretty steep slopes) before hitting the road. So don't worry just practice :]
  11. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

26000 km's on my hyo, and clutch is still good.
  12. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Stuffing up hill starts is a new rider's right of passage. It takes a while to figure out the right technique for you and your bike.

The suggestions above by Spots and Jester are good ones and those are what worked for me when I was Captain Stall of the Stall Patrol. ;)

In a little while you'll be doing it naturally without thinking and then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

As an extra suggestion get your hubbie to try a few on your bike while you watch so he can make sure the clutch isn't set incorrectly and to prove to your brain that it can be done. (y)

Fun Ha1
  13. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Good advice, There Thera,

As for stuffing the clutch, I have never worn a clutch out yet,
    Wet or dry clutch, I have had both, and over a million kilometres under my bum on bikes,
  14. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Clutches are supposed to last 100,000-300,000 kms so I wouldn't be celebrating just yet :p

Just so I know we're talking about the same thing here, he was talking about riding the clutch half way out to hold the bike in place on the hill, right? :| Maybe for 1 or 2 seconds but any longer and you're going to damage your clutch
  15. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Maplegum... This discouragement you feel is temporary.

Ok. :)). ??

Practice will get you there. Remain calm, and if you get frustrated, switch to something else that you CAN do for a little while, to help you keep things in perspective for you.

You going along ok..give yourself time.

16. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

I've found hill starts very easy on my GS500F

the reason for this i have put down to the placement of the rear brake pedal, when iam wearing my new SIDI boots it hard to bend my ankle and the brake pedal is low so iam only able to depress just enough to hold the bike up and stop it from rolling back, as i release the clutch the bike starts to creep forward without moving my foot.

maybe you could experiment with different pedal heights?
  17. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

The thing is, I can take off from the flat without any issues.

I'm using my rear brake, left foot down to steady the bike. I really think I might be 'over thinking' what part comes next. I find myself taking a deep breath and talking myself through the steps. Then, once I finally get to attempting a take off, I find that I have given the throttle too much, let the clutch out too quickly then panic and either stall the bike or drag the clutch back in and then start to roll back down the hill.

I don't get it. I'm an intelligent woman, seriously, I am! LOL.

My husband actually jumped on my bike to show me how it would be done. Effortless for him of course.

He did mention that my clutch does not grab until it is let out almost all of the way compared to his which is really 'grabby'. Can clutches be adjusted? Maybe I need a clutch that is more responsive? Maybe?

My hubby also noticed that I am trying to put my feet back on the pedals too soon. He said to leave my foot down a little longer to keep my balance so that might help.

I know that I will master it as I am very head strong and I don't like something like this getting the better of me. I mastered that stupid bend in the road that I overshot last week so I know that I can also master this.

I have driven manual cars all of my life for goodness sakes! I understand about balancing the clutch and power.

Stupid hills.
  18. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Just dont overthink the rear brake. With the rear brake on, give enough torque to the wheels with the clutch slipping to get you moving then release the rear brake in your own time. You go moving forward without any drama. Over time you naturally reduce the time between clutch and rear brake to where it becomes one motion.
  19. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Yup..for you I think this is where you might do better with a wider band where the clutch bites. If the clutch is biting at the very end of the clutch lever travel it will be tricky for you to feel that bite ..when you do it's almost all the way out...like an on/off switch...just what a new learner doesn't need.
    A narrow take up band..or bite zone is handy for quick changes,but not so good for when you are very conscious of the juggling act of hill starts.
    Check your manual or google clutch cable adjustment for your bike. You can adjust it from the handlebars with no tools..unless you have a hydraulic clutch..:roll:
    After a while of riding it takes quite a bit of thought to describe the whats and hows..coz ya just do it instinctively.
  20. Re: Feeling defeated - stupid hills

Bummer, that was going to be my question. My understanding is that you get whatever you get with hydraulic clutch lines. Maybe a few adjustments on the handle but no easy way to change the bite point.