Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Feedback/suggestions on a planned ride

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by plaidler, Dec 29, 2014.

1. G'day all,
    every jan i head down to vic to catch up with family and this time im doing it by bike.

I have my flatmate joining me for half the ride over 3 days through the high country, nsw/vic.

The plan is as follows,
    Day 1 Sydney to Delegate via princes hwy to bega-snowy mountain hwy-monaro hwy-delegate rd-delegate.
    8h , 550km's(google maps).

Day 2 Delegate to Talangatta via Bonang hwy to Orbost-princes hwy to Bruthen-Great alpine rd to omeo-omeo hwy to talangatta.
    7h, 444km's

Day 3 i head to vic and friend heads back to sydney thru jindabyne.

While i have a few weeks off my friend has 3 days and can maybe stretch to 4. Ive done most of the trip by car except for omeo hwy and bonang hwy over the years.

We do plenty of 1 and occasionally 2 day rides, last one was sydney-janola caves-oberon-goulbourn-sydney in 1 day without too much trouble.
    Im asking for feedback because while the distances seem reasonable the road conditions and heaps of twisties put a different light on wether the time frame is doable.

I'll be in vic for 4-5 days than i have a week to ride back to sydney anyway i choose.

Trip starts jan 23rd and im back at work 11th feb
    Not too worried about budget, these are my yearly holidays and i saved for it.
    Apart from the 3-4 day time frame at the start i have no real schedule i need to abide by.

Any suggestions/tips or places to see are most welcome.
  2. I'm gonna suggest adding more twisties:

Turn off the highway just after Tilba Tilba (or at Cobargo - The Cobargo-Bermagui Road is nice too) and take the Bermagui-Tathra Rd, head towards Bega, but you can bypass it unless you need fuel. Back on the highway for a bit, turn off onto the Bega-Candelo Rd, take Myrtle Mtn Road to Wyndham and then Mt Darragh Rd to Bombala.

Depends what time you get here, I guess... I wouldn't recommend Mt Darrah Rd or the Bermagui-Tathra Rd in the evening, lots of wildlife.