Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fed Govt Declares PTW Official CO2 Emission Winner

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jdkarmch, Sep 19, 2008.

2. This is where we need to dip our lids to the scooter riders out there - because my Minja spews out so much carbon that if I idle at the lights for too long, a fresh ozone hole opens up right above me.
  3. If you read the quoted paper - it says PTW consume 6.4 ltrs/100 km.

Out of interest Loz - what consumption does your Minja get?

My 96 cube (1600cc) Hardley gets around 5 ltrs/100km. I would have thought that I would have been contributing much more CO2 than you.

I think some of their M/C consumption figures are too high. If I am right then that makes PTW look even better :grin:
  4. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  5. Dunno what you're laughing at Loz's comment for, Vic - you should see your new user icon!

(And I agree with Loz! 250cc motorcycles and all the scooters are what make my Tiger carbon-neutral, I swear. 5L on the highway, 6.5 'round town!)
  6. Well, best I ever got was 320km to reserve (16 litres) which is about 5l/100km. Worst I ever got was 145km to reserve which makes it a bit over 11l/km. But I'd had a very strong coffee that morning and was rather enthusiastic with the throttle.
  7. I s'pose that we could use this as an excuse to start another "how much fuel does your bike use?" thread, huh?

For the record though, my Blackbird chews through about 6l/100km on a decent ride.

Of course if you have say 10 bikes on the same ride carrying a pillion each then that's around 60l/100km all up for a max of 20 people. By comparison 4 Commodores or Falcons would chew through around 40-48l/100km and carry up to 20 adults as well.

So, are we really that much better?
  8. Edit: (Cut out all the ramble)
    I suppose while it's easy to take the "moral high ground" no matter where you stand, ultimately it comes down to....

Most vehicles are single-occupant.

So many people buy a vehicle with offroad capabiltiy, 7 seats, boat-towing ability, etc... But ultimately the vast majority of use will be to shuttle a sole occupant about town.

In that respect, only the most fuel efficient of hatchbacks can really touch PTWs for efficiency... And to beat the last of those stragglers into submission we just pull the "sporty handling and 350+ horsepower per tonne!!" moral high ground. :LOL: :LOL:
  9. The use of the term "very light vehicles" makes me suspect that PTWs have been the unintended beneficiaries of the efforts by the dill who botched the importation of the (crap, and yes I have driven one) Reva electric car to get the government to look at relaxing the ADR requirements for what, in Europe would be classed as quadricycles.

So, tedious twat though he was, his commercially driven demands for a government bail-out to cover his own business incompetence have borne some positive fruit elsewhere.

Good news for bikes though. Maybe some positive government recognition may result.
  10. That's true and that's where we get 'em. But is this taken into account when they compile the stats and when policy is formulated?

And I s'pose that we have to ask ourselves - how many of us drive to work by ourselves, particularly during winter? If we need to make our case heard then we'd have to demonstrate that we're willing to ride in all weather. But if we ride, merely for recreation and on weekends during the warmer months it makes it hard to justify our position.

And surveys like the Vicroads one recently released can be used to determine this.
  11. So far the baby cibby clocks in at under 3 l for 100 km in city traffic.

Plus it has a thing in the exhaust that apparently converts cats, which is needed in the EU. I guess they have too many cats in the EU... or maybe cats make greenhouse gasses in much the same way that cows do. I haven't figured out how to stuff the cats in there yet, but I'm working on it.
  12. Read the manual. Why do you think the airbox is so large? you need to take the lid off every service and fill it with cats. Usually 1-2 cats per service, depending on airbox size. If you look in your airbox with the cat-air-supply filter removed, and it's empty, or has a little bit of tacky cat residue on the bottom, you need to refill it.
  13. Man, thanks dude! I never would have figured that out. Sheesh... I guess I really should be reading that manual.
  14. Thats good news.
    As for little bike an big bike, my suzuki across 250 used about the same juice on the same cycle as my R1...though gettting on the gas the R1 uses more.

I think its all those tiny scooter that do the best in terms of economy.
  15. i have an across as well and i constantly use over 5l/100km

it seems high given the weight of the bike, but simply put bikes are not that efficient. a small engine seems as though it should be efficient, but the across for example is an inline 4 cylinder with DOHC and it sits at 10k rpm all day long. that adds up to a lot of wasted energy for its size.

secondly bikes have high wind resistance for their size, so the most savings are in stop start traffic where the bike only needs to accelerate perhaps 250 - 350kg where a car is constantly accelerating over 1500kg most of the time.

out on the open roads at cruising speed the car is better in terms of wind resistance so if an efficient car is keeping a constant speed it should use less than the bike