Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by stokie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. G'day, I'm a 22 yr old from Adelaide and I'll be doing my L's test next weekend and getting a bike shortly after that. Looking at a Hyo simply because I don't think I'd fit on any other cheap learner bike (believe me I've heard plenty of strong opinions for them so no need to add anymore).

After months of parents and some of the more caring friends saying it's too dangerous on a bike and me shrugging it off saying there's danger everywhere etc. my boss at work finally put some fear into me through some stories (possibly made up). I figure this is a good thing, but I don't want it to overcome me and ruin my chance of enjoying myself.

My question is basically how did you get passed your fear?
  2. as soon as u jump on the bike the fear is gone
  3. You can live to 100 having done nothing or you can live your life and enjoy it. Find some balance :)
  4. I have been getting the same thing...

I guess your passion for it is what makes you rise above it. You need to work out if your desire is greater than your fear.

Let go of the 'brain candy' side of things because the whole 'what if' crap will only perpetuate the fear.

Relax, remember why you chose to do this and enjoy it!
  5. cheers for the quick response.

It may sound stupid but the reason my boss got to me was he's aware I'm a keen surfer and he said something like "if you come off you won't be surfing anymore".

But yeah I'm not overcome by it yet, I just don't want it to get worse when I get a bike or have a near miss or two.
  6. Well the first ride is still scary, i've been riding a week now and my family was offering me money if i bought a car instead and i got pretty worried about it aswell, but after a ride or two it goes away.
  7. Fear.

Wow, what a great topic! It's something I deal with every day and is a topic of great interest to me.

Essentially, fear is something that manifests itself in a physical sense inside your body - be that in the stomach (butterflies), throat (ever felt that 'I can't breathe because I'm scared' feeling?) or your mind (headache, dizziness etc).

The first thing you need to do to start to conquer ANY fear is to breathe. In through the nose and out through the mouth. Breathing calms you down when under stress. By learning to breathe properly (a whole other discussion) and applying breathing techniques to your everyday life, you will become calmer and cope with scary/fearful/confrontational situations better.

The next thing to do is to face the situation and accept that in order to grow as a person, you should confront your fear and work with it (eg; like the OP riding a motorcycle, job interviews, people disagreeing with you etc). Just calmly accept that you can learn from the situation and that once it's over you'll smile about it and can move on from there.

It sounds simple because it is. Breathe and move. It works and it builds confidence in yourself to go on to bigger and better things.

Have fun and let us know how you go :)
  8. The risk thing came up in another thread just last week or so.

Some people try to reduce their motoring risk by surrounding themselves with tonnes of crumple zones, side-impact beams, ten different airbags and a pre-tensioning lap-sash belt. There's still a risk there, of course.

I think the statistic bandied around is "22 times more likely to die, in an accident" or something. But that statistic only counts if you get into an accident in the first place. And it shows that car drivers are only 22 times less likely to die in an accident, too - They're not immortal!

You can reduce your riding risk proactively by wearing proper armour, proper boots, but the armour is just the last line of defense. Better to avoid being in accidents in the first place by taking training courses, practicing emergency stops/swerves, riding defensively and riding to the conditions. :)
  9. ps Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
  10. Fear will decrease once you get on the bike and start enjoying the ride, an element of fear can also be a good thing. It will heighten your senses, you will be alot more aware of what is around you and in most cases should be able to anticipate what is going to happen.

What are you going to do....wrap yourself in cottonwool and live a boring life or get out there and have some fun? There are risks in everything that we do, the trick is to minimise those risks. Robsalvv has a great link in his sig about minimising risk, check it out.

Oh, and ATGATT :biker:
  11. Personally I'm waiting for loz to stroll in and say "what is this....fear?".
  12. If you're unsure about the whole fear factor, there are a few things you can do.

If you find yourself fearful to ride on the road, then don't. Practice as much as you can first. In your driveway moving slowly, maybe make your way very slowly to a deserted carpark and practice there. The more you ride, the more confidence you'll have, and if you ride properly, there ain't too much to be scared of.

I recently did the Basic Training Level 1 in Adelaide (the cours eto get your Ls) and about 1/4th of it is how to ride, and the rest is safety. Positioning on the road, what to do in certain situations, etc. and I think you'll find that after this, you'll have a bit more confidence in your ability to protect yourself.

And like the others said, ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). Don't get on a bike without a good set. Helmet, gloves, pants, jacket & boots. Just knowing you have something to stop you losing skin if you come off will also be a big confidence booster.

Well, that's my expereicnes at least.

And, if you DO come off, don't let that stop you riding, because you just need to remember, everyone comes off at some point. Be it the first day or after a year on the bike, and if you're diong the right thing (not in a blind spot, have a buffer zone between you and cars, have the gear on, not going too fast) then you might end up with a few bruises, but you should be right.
  13. when they tell you it's dangerous tell them it's also dangerous driving cars and when they are planning to sell/give up their :)
  14. I never had much to start with, and what I did have evaporated following a 120 km/h crash as a pillion (two years before getting my own bike), from which I walked away, thinking "Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be".

I'm not sure if I'd recommend this method though.
  15. The guy who sold me my bike (has a lot of relatives who ride) told me that the day I stop fearing the machine is the day I come off. Of course he meant fear in the 'respect' sense.

It does go away, but so long as it is as a result of actually learning how to deal with situations and thus being confident with what the road has to throw at you as opposed to reinforced with good luck while riding dangerously then you're fine - well that is what I believe.

I had the parents/boss/teachers/strangers drilling me about how I'm going to kill myself for 3 or 4 years before I got a license... I actually canceled my pre Ls in yr 10 because of how frightened they made me with all the stories, 3 years later I got it.

Fear has a purpose, we naturally have a tendency to fear the unknown, only experience will tell whether or not we should.
  16. The stories are an interesting thing.
    Oh I hard about a guy who knew a guy who had a 25 wheel truck rip his head off and tumble his bike 200 meters down the road…
    Every one who goes near a motorbike (Or brings them up in conversation) hears these stories.
    I have met people through netrider who have not had an accident in 40 odd years of riding and I have met people who binned 3 bikes before they got off there L’s.
    How much risk you are in of having an accident is heavily dependent on you.
    The first thing to assessing risk is how good are you at being aware of your surrounds. Now you can answer this question with a cocky. Hey I’m the coolest I’m the best blah blah blah… But think about it carefully.
    How often do you find yourself next to a car, truck, bus… and not pay attention to the fact that you are there?
    How often do you check each driveway, road, parked car… to decide is there a risk there?
    Before you lane change, how often do you ask where did that sports car, V8 Ute, Dump truck that was in my mirrors go?

It doesn’t matter how good you are at riding, if you don’t pay attention, then book yourself a funeral. The first trick to staying alive is working out what could kill you.

Start keeping these sort of things in mind and you may be one of the people with the 40 year perfect riding record.
  17. He doesn't want his compo insurance premiums to go up if you bin it on the way to/from work :p

HR cringes every time I pull up on the "death trap".
  18. I have fear on every ride I do, those that know me know of that fact.

You wont ever escape the fear. It is part of who you are.

The key is how you manage the fear.
  19. Don't know about QLD, but here in SA, we're not covered traveling to or from work unless it happens in the carpark.

Found that out when I got hit by a car while rollerblading to work from a mates place.
  20. Yeah we're still covered for some reason or another. Always get the 'drive safe' memo every month or so. At some of the mines if they see you pulled up by the police etc on the way to/from you're going to be up for a warning at the very least.