Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fear of Riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by speedysnaill, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Hi all!

Well, I finally did it, I signed the papers for a loan today to get my very first bike ever! I'm excited but also EXTREMELY wary! Have been paying a great deal of attention to all the Adelaide drivers, and honestly, they HAVE to be the worst in Australia.

Just a small, recent example of what I'm talking about: today I indicated to change into the right-hand lane (in my old-box crappy car), and the car who was about 10meters behind me (peak hour traffic) saw my indicator and SPED UP to try and block me before I changed lanes. I just kept on moving over, so they braked to get out of the way, but SERIOUSLY! I'm really not keen on hitting the road on my very first bike (the only riding experience I have is from when I went for my license) with drivers that are so anal that they won't allow someone to merge into their lane.

Can anyone help ease my mind, or give me some newbie tips - my biggest concern in riding are all the other cars on the road!

2. You'll learn how to anticipate stupid driver's actions.

Or you wont.
  3. Hey buddy
    If you would like someone to go out with the 1st few times...I'm more than happy to put my hand up.

let me know or pm me. Also have an L-plater mate you may be able to team up with who is sitting his stage 2 test in the next couple of weeks. Other than that...yeah - Adel drivers can be tough but are 95% predictable :roll:
  4. Your gonna have to face your fears sooner or later!

Practice riding in some back streets with some mates so u get to know your bike would be first option then once your more confident ride in moderate traffic say a semi main road and see from there :)
  5. So you obviously got finance of some description sorted out....good work.

And, like others said, you learn to anticipate other drivers - there are small but obvious signs.

Also, are you male or female? Seems everyone calls you "mate" or buddy", but I am sure I saw a post where you said you were female....
  6. Thats it.

Get to know your machine, make clutch, gas and brake control as second nature as possible. Practice those head checks, canceling the indicator and such and feel confident doing that before you have to split your concentration between the bike and traffic.

I commute every day and a lot of that is in peek hour traffic, just remember what they thought you. Keep in the left lane so you dont piss other drivers off, keep your spacing, watch your mirrors and create space, speed up or slow down to do it, dont get cought in drivers blind spots or ever ride beside them.

The only way to learn is to do mate, get a feel for the machine and progress from there!

By the way, congratz mate, you wont look back!
  7. lol

Ooo! my old adversary! :p yeah, I am actually female. I guess most people just assume that I'm male seeing as the predominant gender of those who ride motorbikes is male. My username isn't very helpful in discerning my gender, either.

Appreciate the posts - just have to BUY a bike now! :grin:

8. scariest part of learning to ride is your first time in traffic. such a great idea if you can get a buddy to follow you in a car or bike to provide a buffer from traffic from behind.

I find predicting other drivers movements a little bit easier on a bike as I'm seated higher than other traffic and I don't have a cage to block my field of vision.

Something worth considering when you're shopping for your bike... a low riding position eg. a cruiser will limit your ability to see over other cars. Anyways just stick with it and ride to your own ability and you'll be right, give yourself lots of space by building your road craft. I write not good today... hope it sense makes. :p
  9. You're not afraid of riding, you're afraid of traffic.
    I would suggest a couple of weeks or so riding nice quiet backroads/suburbs, with as few cars as you can. Concentrate on understanding the bike and less traffic to worry about.
    Once you are confident on the bike, then the traffic can be tackled.
    Seriously, if you are freaked out by that sort of behaviour, you need to get the bike control sorted out first, as that is only a mild example of other road user's rudeness and arrogance!

Regards, Andrew.
  10. I'd go for a nice big car park a/h...I took one of my friends to the water world carpark off golden grove road - the owner is an avid bike fan and loves us L-platers there. There's Bunnings at mile end and Kent town...not to mention a few other places like marion etc

Anyway, lots of lines and lanes to go up and down - indicating, turning left, turning right etc - no traffic. All seems simple but took myself and Nick a few shots to get used to indicating before pulling up and remembering to cancel etc but I think the carpark trick is worth the effort for getting things registered in the ol' brain automatically. Depending where you live in Adel, you still get some drivers that fly down the side street esp around North Adel.

but yer...should start an L-plater gang I think - L-plater bike riders get treated poorly in SA by both car and bike riders :roll: ...the day I dropped my Ls was the best day of my life on the road. I also had a buddy on my Ls - Stewie with his monster VTR.

Offer still stands if you'd like a buddy at hand...I'm all overt the city these days.

11. Here is a tip - you know how you were saying that when the guy speed up to block you and you kept moving over in your car ........ DON'T do that on the bike, they wont care and will keep on coming! Just let them go through and ride like a granny would drive a car.

12. Personally, I'm not that keen on hitting the road at all :p

The advantage of Adelaide drivers being so sh!t is they keep you on your toes all the time.

As other's have said, avoid heavily congested main roads, peak hour and higher speed areas until you gain confidence.

Just be aware that back roads have their own hazards - dogs, kids, dopey dads and mad mums!

All said, enjoy the riding when you get your bike.
  13. Try and build your skills up outside of heavy traffic. Things like a sunday afternoon ride into town (you're not ready for the twisties yet) are perfect for that. If you're struggling to build confidence, there's probably nothing better than a defensive rider or advanced rider course.

Best tip is try not to copy what other riders do on the road just because they're doing it. Things like splitting lanes, hanging the knee off going around corners etc.

Just because they're fun to do doesnt make them the way you have to ride.

In a few weeks of good riding time a lot of the things you're nervous about now you'll wonder why.
  14. lol

erm... der? lol

15. This happens everywhere. The worst thing is when they start abusing you at the next set of lights for being so rude as to prevent them from getting to the red light before you. Take care out there.
  16. I think I speak for all those outside of Adelaide.

Adelaide peak hour traffic (And all traffic) is absolutely DEAD compared to the major cities.

So, toughen up :)

Nah, in all seriousness, practice on back streets / during the day when it is quiet. Once you are confident with the gears/brakes then go into LIGHT traffic.

Once you do this, you'll be fine....and like slow_suzuki said, don't try to copy what other riders do.. Do what YOU'RE comfy with.
  17. Personally I've never been to Adelaide but I have to admit some Sydney drivers are real cheeseballs. I hada a bloke roll up within 30 centimetres of the car next to him to ensure that I didn't split. And another tool was tailgating me when i was going the speed limit (80) then later on after I had let him pass, I needed to get back into that lane to turn and he tried to block me and gave me a nice evil look. Some people just don't make sense.
  18. I'm a sydney driver who drove in adelaide for two weeks. There is no traffic in the city at any time of the day (comparing to sydney). The drivers are friendly, relaxed and not aggressive and there's a lot less unpredictable drivers. I wish that I was living in adelaide and doing my Ls there. You have nothing to worry about
  19. I know, I was in Adelaide for work not long ago, and it was 5:30pm and the traffic was like normal daytime traffic here.

It was awesome :LOL:
  20. I agree with all said here.

When I first got mine I went to a local primary school and rode around that for a while. Then I got Sverre to follow me in his car while I went around the block with traffic so that I was 100% certain no one would sit on my ass.

It also gave him a chance to see my riding skills and point out little things....like cancelling my indicator :p

Get your confidence on the bike first, or you'll just concentrate on handling that rather than watching what's around you :)