Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fear of death

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Iondah, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Hi all, just to introduce myself again... I'm a 21yr old Melbournian. I got my Ls about a month ago and I'm currently looking for a bike... maybe.

I've been reading through the form and stumbled across the "Seeking Closure" topic about a horrific accident and it scared the absolute hell out of me I have to say.

Like most people here I'm well aware of the risks, and I've been doing as much as possible to get my experience up to deal with dangerous situations. For instance, I haven't bought a bike yet beacuse I've been taking my cousin's bike out for practise runs for a bit before I'm tempted to ride all the time and I'm holding off on selling my car so I can build up to riding in the rain, in the dark etc.

I also have good role models, my cousin and uncle who have both been riding a while and have only had good experiences.

Never the less the media, the stats and the REAL stories of people sustaining apauling injuries in accidents tend to scare the hell out of me and re-think riding.

So, I'm not really sure what my question is... I guess how do you guys deal with the danger of it all, and what advice can you give me?

I also think it's a bit of a shame this fear has kind of got the better of me... it takes the run out of riding the few times I've been around traffic because I've been concentrating so much on what everyone is doing. Still, on quiet streets the buzz is amazing.