Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fear and Adrenaline

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by calv83luc, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I just thought I'd share this... it's quite long but hey, all new comer's have their own stories... so here's mine. :)

Fear and Adrenaline

Obtained my Learner’s permit not more than two to three weeks ago, my first ride on public roads were on an 80k speed stretch of road, night time and pouring down rain…
    Not a great way to start, but the initial thought was that, I needed to know how it feels like in the rain… But as I wasn’t familiar with the bike, I checked up the petrol tank and realized petrol was needed.

And as for a beginner, having someone riding along side was something very important, especially in those conditions… So I called up a mate, who’s been on his L’s for over a month or two… I know I should’ve called up someone who’s been riding longer than that, but I thought, since we are both learning, we can learn together… in the rain.

Feeling the confident boost, we headed out to the traffic lights, and turned on to the main road and headed for the petrol station, and as the speed hit 60 on the bike, vision was no longer clear, but just a blur view of mixed lights and colour as the rain covered up the visor… My mental conscious hit me, “What am I supposed to do now?â€, next thing I knew, I moved the visor up and the rain was splashing into my eyes and face, but the vision was much clearer now… Finally, the petrol station…

Can’t believe the $14 full tank job, had this smile on my face as I walked into the register to pay… Walking back out, the rain has lightened up, but there was still rain and being excited as any new rider would be, there was not a second of fear that hit me, so I jumped back on to the bike to start it up… Pressed the start button, clutched, gear 1 and engine turned off… what the??? So I repeated… again and again and again…

With disbelief my friend told me to hop off and he jumped on himself to try and same results occurred, then suddenly a smirk appeared on both our faces… I had the side stand on… just realising that with the CBR250RR 1990+ models, if you have the side stands down, you cannot have it in gear, otherwise it will turn off the engine… so having that solved, we decided to ride in the back streets… as it was a bit too dangerous outside on the main road.

Still having the confidence we road down hill on this street, where the curves are continuously S shaped, one after another… Being safe and having to ride first time in the wet without the instructors, we took it slowly and eventually we came to a stop and my friend decided to call it a night, so we turned around and headed back.

As an inexperience rider, with no more than the lessons taught and stories I heard about the rain, I thought to myself… I hadn’t really felt much of the difference… then the thought of speed hit the back of my mind and I throttled the bike like it was no tomorrow as we went uphill… we came to the curves and I knew with the bike I was on, I must lean… So I leaned… the rear wheel started to slide as I leaned, the rain was still present and the road was soaked with water, I finally felt the fear eating me up… and as the fear was trying to take me over, adrenaline pumped through my heart trying to race the speed of time and with each curve I reached my speed increased a bit to test friction and with each friction I try to challenge, the more the bike slide… The feeling of fear and adrenaline fighting for the top place was taking over me, I was either going to slip and fall or do the impossible… but I know impossible was just stupidity so I slowed down.

Looking forward and seeing the straight road again, the fear went away and looking back at the rear view mirror, I can only see a dot of light… my mate finally caught up and the next thing I know, he was calling me a crazy ass mofo… so we both called it a night.

Walking back into my brother’s house after parking the bike, I wanted to go back outside and throttle the corner again… but the good side of me said, “Mate, that’s enough for the night…â€

I’ve told this to many friends and riders I know… they all sat me down and gave me a lecture about how dangerous it was…

But the thought in the back of my head says, let’s do it again.
  2. As a NOOB, your friends are giving you good advice!
    Heed the warnings or you will suffer the consequences!
  3. do you dabble in writing or something?
  4. Well Done. Take it slow out there, remember it takes years to become a good rider, seconds to become a sore and sorry one.
  5. You are either a good rider or a stupid and lucky one. I would say your a good rider, if you crashed you would be a stupid one.
  6. bad riders are the one's that "think they are good", until....... BANG!
  7. nah I'm no good rider... still learning heaps...
    I guess it's the stupidity that kicks in when you are still new on the bike.
    I did have a few close calls due to drivers not looking, but that was expected and I do keep an eye out...

Yes, I know what everyone means and yes I will behave... hehe...

I did ride slowly on speed limits last night to meet my date... hehe
  8. Yeh the feeling of wanting to push the bike's limits sometimes does take over. My mate had those urges quite often until he got side swiped by a sedan. He gave up riding and refuses to get on or endorse motorcycles anymore (such a change from the speed demon).

Although I guess you can come off by just riding normally if you're unlucky enough to have a granny do her head check and still turn into your lane :mad: