Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fazer FZ6S clutch difficult to use

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by listek, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Hi guys, this is my first post so I'll appologise if something similar has already been posted before.

Just bought a new Fazer and I've only put 300kms on it so far and I'm having trouble getting used to the clutch. It's has a very sudden action to the point that it's almost an on/off switch. Needless to say it's proving tough to drive the bike smoothly, particularly on take off.

It's the only new bike I've ever bought and to be honest it's the first bike I've had in 10 years and I'm still pretty rusty with everything, so I'm hoping once I've put a few miles on the bike the clutch will get a bit more progressive in its action.

By the way it's a sensational bike and I love riding it. I never even test rode it in actual fact before buying. First time on the bike was on the way home after picking it up.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

2. 'Carpark' practice is probably what you need to get used the clutch.
    Find nice quite flat bit of road and go back to basics.
    Slowly let out the clutch to start getting a feel for the position and go from there.

I think you may be releasing a little fast from what you are describing
  3. The clutch will smooth out quite a bit as you ride the bike more, and
    you will get more used to it with practice too.

Also you may like to loosen the clutch cable adjuster just a little
    so as the clutch activates/deactivates closer to the handlebar. This
    can give you a better sense of control because your fingers will have
    better grip/strength at that position.

Just make sure you don't put too much slack in, and keep an eye on
    the lever position (for cable stretch) as everything settles in. You don't
    want the clutch refusing to do its thing because the adjustment is too slack.
  4. For starters, adjust the lever. Some people like it so that the clutch engages with the lever very close to the bar, other people like it a fair way out. Play with that and see if it doesn't fix it.
  5. they do that.. and with a little throttle snatch it can be a bugger but yeah after a while it'll smooth out.. as you will too skywalker.
  6. Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.