Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Faulty Battery/Solenoid?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Robbins, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hey guys, got a slight issue!
    So Im quite new to the bike scene, and I bought my first motorbike a few days ago. Had a flat battery, so I replaced the exact same battery in it, and to begin with everything went great. After starting it a few times the bike refused to turn over for a while (Assuming it was out of fuel). After returning home and trying to start it again with new fuel in it, it simply refuses to start. When I press the starter button, I hear a single click from the soleinoid, and thats it. Tried bypassing it with a screwdriver only to have the starter motor faintly rev but no dice. Checked the battery without the bike on with a Voltometer and it read 11.5 volts, and its a new 12V battery. Reads 11.3 with the ignition on. Maybe I drained the battery too much by starting it too much? Is it the battery? My battery light comes on while Im trying to start the bike, and the lights dim a little bit. Is the battery faulty? Or is it just drained and I have to wait for it to recharge? Does it recharge itself? I really dont know. Or do I just need a bigger battery?
    Thank you! Any advice is appreiciated :)

2. sounds like battery may not be being charged.
    or could be drained from trying to start too much and not getting charged in between.

if you have/can borrow a charger (small one, half to 1 amp max), charge the battery overnight.
    fully charged it should be something like 12.5-12.7V (not 12)
    less than 12 means it is drained

you can also jump start from a car battery to get bike going.
    when bike is running, and with revs up, battery should be getting 14+ V if it is charging
  3. Last night it was at 9.5ish volts, so today its obviously gone up, If I leave it will it return to its full 12.5 volts?
    Apparently jump starting it from a car can bugger your bike and battery? Is that true or just a wives tale?

4. Last night it was at 9.5ish volts, so today its obviously gone up, If I leave it will it return to its full 12.5 volts?
    Apparently jump starting it from a car can bugger your bike and battery? Is that true or just a wives tale?
  5. you have to put electrons in to get electrons out. the voltage may drift upward a bit, but it will have no oomph (current), so will drop as soon as you put a load on it.
    9.5 is not so good.
  6. If its a new battery your bikes electrics may be stuffed. It should be recharging as you ride around. Though its a bit hard to work out what you've been doing. Did you ride it or leave it running?
  7. Left it running :/
  8. A bike will only charge a battery when the revs are higher than about 3000 rpm.
    You cannot charge a battery when idling.

Once it discharges below a certain voltage, it can permanently damage a battery. This means it will never reach 12-12.5v again.
    Once you got the bike going, rev it above 3000 rpm and check battery voltage. If it's being charged, it should read about 14.5v.
  9. Alright got it, so just jump start it and keep it running and reving it? How long should I do that for?
  10. While its running (jump start it) put that voltmeter across the battery. You should see about 13.4-5v and up to about 14v with it just above idle, it won't need to be at 3000rpm to charge.
    If you see less than 13v, it is likely the stator and or Reg/Rec are fuked.
    Be aware, if the reg/rec is gone, continued running may see it end up taking the stator with it, so don't keep riding it.

Would be helpful to know what bike you have??
  11. I have a Zhong Shen zs250gs :)
  12. Therein lies your biggest problem, a Chinese piece of shit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. if you can get a battery charger suitable for bike battery, charge it up first.

recharging from fully flat also puts strain on the bikes charging system :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Whereabouts are you ?
    Maybe someone near you could help.
  15. Northside of brisbane man!
  16. Been trying to look around to find one, no luck so far :(
  17. -A battery will not recharge itself magically overnight.
    -In normal conditions and riding the battery should not discharge
    -You should charge a flat battery with a charger, not just leave it to the bikes electrical system.

-As the new battery did not fix the issue then you will need to look at replacing the stator and/or regulator (charging system) as these fail.

I would advice you take the bike to a friend who's handy with a voltmeter and comfortable pulling the bike to pieces.
    You will need to check all the grounds, measure the resistance of the stator windings with voltmeter and measure the output from the regulator
    Good luck ordering spare parts, you will likely need to remove them off the bike and type the model numbers into ebay or find a generic piece with the same specs.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. What type of charger should I look at purchasing then? Thanks for all the help guys, you really have helped me out a tonne and I appreciate the hell out of it! Much love too all of you!
  19. Technically any 12v charger will work.
    Realisitcally you want a multistage 'smart' charger rated for motorcyles as opposed to $30 10A dumb charger which will boil the battery.

I use and recommend ctek chargers for my bikes and think they are worth the premium, its able to recover worn out or damaged batteries from being run flat and won't damage the battery if you leave it connected 24/7.
    It also has quick release connector which means you can hook it back up once you get home to keep the battery at 100% without taking off the seat everytime which would be handy if it takes you a few weeks to get the bike fixed
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. #20 fruechtel, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Sorry buddy, but your confession should not be followed up by a smilie face. A few of these :(:(:(:(:( would be more appropriate. I read a review of these bikes, where another newbie made the following comment: You can buy it new in preference to a thrashed Jap bike for the same price. After decades of buying, maintaining and reselling quite a few bikes I can only say that this is not my experience. A ten year old Honda will outlast these bikes easily!