Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Father/Son Tassie Trip 2016

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by luke_vfr800, Oct 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Well our ride has started ! Left a cloudy Sydney this morning. Had a great ride down the coas road, had a few spots of rain but as Murphy's law implies, once we put on the wet weather gear it stopped so we just kept it on all day haha
    First night stop is merimbula. Will be good to have a nice feed and a hot shower.
    I'll post updates as we go and add some pics too.
    Thanks to everyone who provided comments and advice. I'm loving spending time with my best mate(aka dad) on the bikes

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Way to go Luke. Like many others, I will be following this thread, happy travels to you both(y)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Highly recommend the Tura Head Country Club for dinner while in Merimbula. They have a courtesy bus that will pick up and drop off from your motel and have a good feed and great view. We even saw some whales from our table !!!
    Onto Warragul today !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gave a great trip luke_vfr800luke_vfr800, look after your dad (y)(y)

5. Day 2 consisted of Merimbula to Dandenong. Beautiful start from Merimbula to Cann River with sunshine. Started to rain from Cann River all the way to just past Lakes Entrance. Sunny for a while then the Melbourne weather set in and it rained all the way to Dandenong. Still loved every minute of it !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  6. you guys rock. well you will on the boat to tassie

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Overcast outlook in the background with the vivid white VFR up front really makes that a great pic (y). I took a pic from the exact same spot last xmas with a total contrast in weather conditions, from memory it was around 32C :emoji_sunny:. Keep the pics from your adventure coming :emoji_wink:

8. Heres a tip if you haven't been on the boat with your bike before, when you park the bike on the boat you'll need to leave the steering lock off and put the bike in gear. Then have a look around and take note of what deck your bikes are parked on before you head off. The guys who tie down the bikes do a great job and I've never had any problem, most recent crossing I did was very rough with 4.5m swells.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. It definitely is a good spot for a pic !!!!

10. Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the ferry trip haha

11. Hope you both have a fantastic trip. I'm sure you'll love the roads and sights down here in Tassie.

12. Well after a cracker of a day in Melbourne we have borded the Spirit of Tasmania and are on our way to Devonport. Can't wait for our first ride in Tassie !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. I will recommend Stonie's in Devonport if you fancy a bite to eat in the morning before hitting the road. It's on the pedestrianised mall in the city centre, about 10mins ride from the boat. The bacon is awesome. :hungry:

Or if you're heading towards Launceston there's a good place called Elizabethtown Cafe ETC about 30 mins down the main road on the right.

14. Made it to strahan after a fantastic and dry ride form Devonport. Staying here tonight before heading to Hobart via Queenstown tomorrow. I'm loving Tasmania already. Great scenery and great roads.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Well after a wet and windy start from Strahan this morning the rain stopped around lake St Clair and we had a great ride through the country to Hobart. We are staying at wrest point(dads pick not mine) tonight. One thing that had bothered me is, once we were in traffic in Hobart my bike got pretty hot(it sat on 77' all day except once in Hobart) it got up to 117' and when I turned it off it leaked it's coolant out the overflow
    tube onto the ground. I'm going to get some more coolant to replace the lost stuff but is there anything else I need to check ?? This had never happened before. And yes the fans did kick in at 104' like they usually do.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Enjoying the story. Re cooling: check the obvious; radiator unobstructed, air ducts clear, radiator cap tight, hoses and clamps OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. #17 barry_mcki, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Make sure you don't put too much fluid in the expansion tank. There are usually two lines marked on the expansion tank, these are NOT to indicate high and low levels, but where the fluid should be depending if the motor is cold or hot. When topping up fluid only put in enough to get to the lower cold mark, otherwise when the main radiator does do its thing when it gets hot you can get too much fluid entering the expansion tank and thus get that overflow dribble.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well it looks like the overheating issue is sorted. Took the bike to port Arthur today and no sign of any heating issues
    Managed to dodge the rain and made it there and back without getting too wet !!! Had to call into Mitre 10 to get some lock nuts for the bolts on dads top box as the others had vibrated loose and had to be secured with cable ties until we got to sorrell.
    Heading up to coles bay or further tomorrow !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Left Hobart this morning under clouds(again) heading towards Swansea. Good litttle run up to Swansea took us less than we thought so we had a look around coles bay and have decided to head to St Helens for the night. Some cracking Coast line all the way !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  20. Aaaaaargh.....you're making me very jealous. Love that pic with wave in the background....