Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fat Bastard Going for L's...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by agronaught, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Well I've done the first day of my L's, and nearly came a cropper at one point. Unfortunately after that I 'seized' up and struggled through the rest of the day - the instructors advice - 'Relax! you will be fine!'

The second day is this friday, so hopefully I can get a full nights sleep before hand and actually pass the L's. (three week old babies and sleep do not coincide).

Now I'm looking for the first bike, considering second hand and new options. I have read the classic '250 or 650 cruiser' threads but would like to hear from somebody on one important issue (to me)...

I'm a tall, fat bastard. As such - will a 250 have the grunt I will need as a learner ?

Examples being the Intruder 250 LC, VStar 250 etc.

Agro.

2. I rate the Suzuki GS500 if you're wanting that bit extra :)

3. Use LAMS to your advantage, go buy a 600 on the list.

Regards, Andrew.

4. This tall and fat bastard fits ona ZZR250 no problems. :LOL:
    Most 250 cruisers are slow.
    If you can handle things a LAMS bike would be the way to go but dont ignore the used 250's though as a first bike. You have to start somewhere :)

Good luck.

5. I was looking exclusively at the cruisers - but will take a serious look at the GS500. Thanks.

Agro.

6. Hey Argo,

Where are you doing your course? I just finished the 2 day Pre L's at St Ives, was great fun, pity my clutch control sucks atm LOL

I'm sure you'll be fine on day 2

Cheers
    Justin

7. Clyde on Friday.

I'm hoping to pass as I want to move to bike for the commute to and from work, and eventually do a few tours etc.

This would also allow me to get rid of one of the cars (my wife's).

Agro.

8. Hi Agro

If you particularly looking at the cruisers - in particular the 250 range... try the Kawasaki Eliminator. It costs more that the other 250 cruisers out there but has a bit more grunt and it weighs a bit more. I got the Eliminator and although I could have got a LAMS bike I am quite happy to stay on the 250 for a while yet.

Just another option for you :)

Cheers
    CJ :)

9. How hard is it to remove the fairing on the GS500F?

I still have to sit on/ride one, but considering the option of buying the GS500F and removing the fairing until I have a little experience under my belt.

Agro.

10. Hi Agro.
    Boy can I identify with young babies and lack of sleep!
    With regards your L course. I recently went for my licence after only running on my L's on a scooter - you can imagine how much that helps with clutch control practice, braking with the right foot, low speed control etc! On the second day I virtually dropped the bike I was using, and was very nervous about failing the assessment. Then, on the first exercise in the assessment I lost 5 points (out of 20 available for all exercises).
    Then I made it through with no more lost.
    I know it's awful advice, but relax is about all you can do. Have a joke with the assessors, chat with the other students, and figure that if it all goes pear-shaped you can try again anyway, and you'll have more idea about the whole process, and therefore do it easily.
    You'll do fine!

11. just buy a naked version.

Here's my youngin! By far the best second hand bike I've ever seen/owned.

[​IMG]

12. I'll look at the naked version. To be honest - I prefer the look of it ;)

My primary use will be commuting and from all the reviews and comments I have read on the bike it sounds like a good fit, while being an easy bike for a learner to ride.

I still have to sit on one - and assuming I pass my L's will do so, then look at buying.

Thanks for the advice all.

Agro.

13. Consider the V-STAR 650 either classic or custom. I'm 6'4" 200+ lbs and found this to be my best fit. I got one on LAMS but kept it for 2 years on full license as it was great strong cruiser. I upgraded to an 1100 V-STAR when I felt I was really experienced and wanted something new. I love my 1100 but I often wish I never sold my 650.

This is a great "L" & "P" bike to ride but not to test on. I RTA tested on one of there little rentals. It cost me an extra $100 at the time but I U-Turned and cone tested easily on it. The longer and heavy V-star is doable on the test but you need a lot of practice. I cold easily do it now but not with 3 months road experience.

My bike was a 2004 Classic because it was the biggest legal learner I could find that had good torque, sound, looks and forward controls. I bought brand new for $8K and sold for the same. New today is 11K but you can get a good used ones for much less. I test drove a 2007 650 V-STAR classic at Fraser's and I would of bought it that day if I was looking to buy. They've made it even better.

I sat on and test drove many bikes before I settled on the Yamaha V-STAR as my "L" & "P" bike. Finding an authorized Yamaha service centre and getting parts is quite easy in Sydney. Basic maintenance was quite easy with a lot of online support and good manuals by Yamaha & Clymer.

I upgraded my V-STAR 650 Classic with a shaft guard, tachometer, master cylinder cover, passenger pegs and sissy bar. I carried my lady everywhere on the back when I could legally do it with little problem in performance or handling. For better safety I added an LED retrofit rear light (much brighter than stock). I also put on an oil filter adapter so I didn't have to take off the exhaust to change the oil filter. I believe the oil filter/exhaust removal is not necessary on post 2005 models but please verify yourself. Oil changing and lubrications are probably the most important maintenance task that you can do yourself. These upgrades I recommend as both practical and cosmetic necessities for the V-STAR.

The V-STAR seem to hold value pretty well but recommend buying in winter and focus on sellers who are upgrading from LAMS if your buying used and seeking a bargain. Shaft drive, Heritage style, lot's of after market accessories and chrome. I strongly recommend for new riders who are big and looking for a cruiser style that doesn't look like a toy when a big boy is on it. Like me you would most likely feel OK keeping it even when you can legally upgrade to more CC's.

Happy and safe riding my man and hope to see you on the road on what ever you decide. The road waits for all. Saddle up and join us.

Randy