Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fast corner wobble?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Haider, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Theres a great corner near where I live, I practice my knee down/fast cornering there.

Question: Am I doing it wrong if theres a slight wobble through the bike? very subtle. Taking the corner at about 100-115 on a CBR250RR I'm assuming it's the bike not the rider? (hoping :p)

Also, any tips on knee down? My foot usually hits first..

Thanks for the help
  2. Go to a race track.
  3. Unless he is wanting to be a temporary Australian!
  4. How do you have your feet positioned on the pegs? At what point in the corner do you get this wobble? Does the wobble happen on every corner that needs a decent lean angle?

Knee down talk on a single corner on a public road suggests that you should rethink your riding. Answer me this - what's the purpose of getting your knee down?
  5. Unnecessary rage post - deleting - bad day

Sorry Rob, see below post.
  6. Listen to Rob. He's not flaming you. Take some of your own advice and read his post carefully.

Do you want the advice or not?

7. yeah Sorry :) really bad traffic this morning + terrible last night..

Rob, I'm wanting to do some track days next year and I thought you would need the basic level of racing.(?)

SO to answer your question, I want to be able to knee down (in the future) so i'm comfortable at the track, bike control and ofcourse - the feeling of defying gravity.

Once again Rob, sorry if I snapped, one of those days..

so my questions would be,

- it's not so much a wobble it's more towards like i'm feeling loss of traction. (make sense? hard to explain) no slipping but it feels like it's on the verge of doing so - would knee down help here?

- where should my feet be positioned on a hard leaning corner?

- is it common for a 250 (1990 model) to feel not so stable doing 100 ish around a bommerang corner? (The corner i'm talking about is 750 ish metres long no speed bump or round abouts and it doesn't take much of a lean (no body parts over the bike, jsut slip stream)

8. Mmm, I always enjoy the zen-ness of the correct answer to this question. :)
  9. :LOL: I couldn't agree more
  10. Cuz I want to use my knee sliders dammit!!!
  11. Haider, the question was properly asked to make you think.

What is the purpose of getting a knee down?

As the guys have pointed out, the correct answer is a bit zen.

If you want the mechanics of how you can force the scenario to get your knee down, search youtube or do the riderbros knee down course (heaps o fun) at Calder... but the real question is what's the purpose...

There are many fast riders about the place that never get they're knee down... perhaps you should follow someone like Falcon Lord who gets his 250 moving very capably through twisties with fair body position to boot... no knee down in sight.

Dude, there's so much about cornering effectively that should be in place before you even bother with thinking about the coolness of scraping the tarmac.

How's your cornering vision?
    What about throttle control?
    How effective is your steering input?
    What about your understanding of lines?
    What about basic body position?
    Position of feet on the pegs?
    How are you locking onto the bike?
    What about tightness/stiffness in through the arms, shoulders?
    Are you heavy on the bars?

Anyway, regarding the wobble, WHEN does it occur? WHAT are you doing when you feel it? Are you at maximum lean? Are you on the way out? Are you leaning off the bike? Are you weight shifted off the bike? etc etc

The wobble you feel might be nothing more than a camber change in the road where the bike gets a little light. Or it could be due to crap cornering technique. The trick is to ask the right question or provide enough observations for folks to help you out.

As for feet on pegs, the classic noob mistake is to have toes pointing down well below the pegs and weight on the heel or arch of the foot. Weight should be on the balls of the toes and you move your feet as required for braking/gear changes.

And Haider, thx for the pm. Welcome to NR.
  12. hey Rob...

this is sorta offtopic but on topic. But would it be considered stupid of me to take a corner (a bit slower obviously) and induced a bit of a tank slapper to see how the bike reacts?
  13. I came across an interview/article with a former rider (possibly motoGP) who mention that the current motoGP riding style had change. so...yeah.

I cannot, for the life of me, re-find the article
  14. Tunel, where's the wink emoticon in your question?????????????????? Is that a serious question??

Well... I guess the answer is if it's your bike and you don't mind potentially stacking, by all means go for it...
  15. Potentially could be a squared-off tyre, too.

But more importantly, re-zenning:
  16. If your foot is hitting first your feet position is wrong. Its hard to explain on a forum but you should have just your toes on the pegs. Pretend you are trying to tippy toe on the pegs. Secondly when your preparing for a turn move your heel in towards the bike and push it against the heel guard. This will locked your foot into the bike and get your toes out of the way, as well as naturally pushing your knee away from the bike.

Getting your knee on the ground usually requires a change in your body posture. You need to move your butt off the seat towards the inside of the corner and lower your centre of gravity. So your eyeline should be lower then your mirrors and you torso and chest should be over the tank, again, off centre towards the inside of the corner

Definitely not. There are all kinds of riders at track days and racing experience is most certainly not a pre-requisite. I would recommend track days to everyone of their P's. It's one of the few controlled environments where you can really learn to control your bike.

Don't stress about getting your knee down. It will happen. But trying to push it on the road until the point where you feel your bike is on the edge of control is not the place find it.

Getting knee down is something which doesn't come by overnight. It takes practice and correct technique and the best place to do it is on a track day.

Finally read "Twist of the Wrist 2". It will give you a good introduction into the theory of track riding, most of which can be transferred to your road riding.

And finally because I am a show off. Me getting into the action at EC.

17. Mike, why did you "need" to get your knee down on that corner?
  18. 'Cause thats where the camera guy was set up :LOL:
  19. I love an honest answer! :LOL:
  20. But in reality there was no "need" to get my knee down. Just because your going knee down doesn't mean your going fast.

EDIT: I think (off the top of my head) that corner is turn 9 @ EC which has the perfect camber for knee down action. My head position is not the best there cause the camera guy was distracting me :LOL: