Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Faring tabs breaking.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Zealt, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Not sure what section to put this in..

I own a GPX and so far 3 of the 4 tabs that hold the middle faring to the belly pan faring have broken off, after the right hand side broke off i started undoing the screws and doing them back up and can see it all moving to settle and free up.

Has anyone come across this problem its an 06 GPX and I've done 29 thou.

Or has anyone seen anything like this and how was it fixed? I've considered plastic welding them back on but really want to avoid having to repaint.
  2. Some pitchers would be good. I would not try plastic welding the tabs back on. In my experiences, plastic welding stressed/load bearing parts is shit. I have fabricated replacement aluminium brackets with a decent surface area, then used a product called Sikaflex 252 to glue them back on. With 1000X better success rate than any plastic welding/glue
  3. Brackets will work.
    Plastic welding DIY wont.
    Plastic welding properly by somones who knows what they are doing will also work.
  4. I believe it's basically the epoxy used in fibreglass. I've used both and they seem the same.

The difference is price. You can get about 10 times the product at bunnings for around 1/3 price of the plastex kit and you get a fibreglass sheet to go with it.

So you can build up around the lug. Won't be as pretty, but it will be stronger.

Also I've found the fibreglass epoxy easier to work with.

I've never been able to get a pretty result with the platex.