Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

fanging the bike and fixing it coincidentally.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cameron, Feb 14, 2007.

1. So, after the discovery of my brake dilemma, the bike was put in the garage and left there...not to be ridden for a week.

less than a week later, engine idle gives me a ticking noise. idle is at 800rpm, much lower than usual.

tonight, i fanged the bike, chasing a 180sx, and tackling corners motogp style.

come home, idle sounds normal, idles at 1.5k rpm (which was what it was before).

what did i do?
  2. That's called an "Italian tune up"...well, it is if you're old enough!
    Sometimes a good thrashing cleans up carbs, plugs, carbon deposits on valves etc.
    In fact, Jaguar specifically mentions doing this in the XJS Owner's manual, the V12 engine is susceptible to carbon build up when driven sedately, and it recommends holding low gear and sitting on 6000 rpm for a minute or two, which is like 100km/h in an XJS........

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Beh, I could have told you that.. I ah.. just didn't.. :LOL: :LOL:
  4. Many years ago a guy was pulled up for doing 160kmh (it was 100 mph then) in his Ferrari, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge; (Yes, it was a LONG time ago!)

When the police asked him why he was going so fast, he said that the owner's manual said that everry now and then he should do a high speed run, to keep the carbies clean, etc..
  5. is the bike fuel injected??
    a looooooong time ago i used to help a mate out who owned a truimph serviceing place (cars not bikes), one of the tricks with the Mk1 and Mk2 PI truimphs driven by little old ladies was to take them for a good fang to get the flow rate up through the injectors, this fixed probably 80% of the poor idling probs they were renowned for.
  6. Fuel-Injected Triumphs!!!!!!!! AAAARRRGGHHHHH :eek:hno:

Quick, nurse, the screens..............
  7. Did he get off the ticket?

I think the answer to that is just as important as the rest of the story
  8. G'day everyone,.........

Enquireing minds want to know!!?

Dr Who?

9. LOL, pissa.... only those that know, know... wink, kink.