Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Famous last words

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by hornet, Sep 7, 2005.

1. One of our other senior folk will know the guilty party in this, but I have always loved the famous quote from the dying days of the British motorcycle industry; "People have always bought British bikes, and they always will"! I remember reading it at the time it was said, and seeing Honda 750/4s in the streets of Sydney and thinking "That's famous last words if I've ever heard them......."
    So, other famous last words? (I've posted this in the Jokes section; they don't have to be motorcycle-related).

2. "is he aiming at me? he couldn't hit an elephant from 10....."

I forget the general... but that was his last sentence before being shot by a sniper.... (this is a true story back in the 1800s)
  3. Hey hornet my dad just bought one of those old Homda 750 fours! Its bloody huge and weighs a ton! Hes gotta fix it up cause its siezed, cant wait to have a ride once its going. Dont think I've ever actually seen one on the road
  4. "Who is it?"

Billy the Kid's last words.
  5. "Leave the shower curtain on the inside of the tub."

Conrad Hilton, the hotel millionaire
  6. You know how people say "Where were you when man walked on the moon?" Well I remember that too, but I remember where and under what circumstances I saw my first 750/4. I remember thinking "Wow, a disc brake on a bike...... and four cylinders......!!!" It was in Goulburn Street in Sydney on a Saturday night. See what I mean about seminal bikes??

He should have fun rebuilding the bike, there's tons of spares out there. And for you, compare it with a GSX-750 of today, for weight, size, etc, and see how far we've come in 30-odd years!!!
  7. OK I'll bite, Your initial post is flawed, they were not 'famous last words' more like a vision for the future.
    In case you haven't noticed people are still buying and riding British bikes, in fact more than ever.

Keep em coming Honda twins. :LOL:
  8. Scooter, don't get twitchy, I'm not criticising Brit bikes, or any other bikes.
    The words were said against the background of the collapse of BSA, the terminal illness of Norton and the imminent Meriden lock-in, and booming sales of the Honda 750/4 and its brethren. It WAS famous last words, because if it hadn't been for the lock-in and Labour Government continual waiver of balooning debt, and the eventual Bloor buy-out, the industry WOULD have folded completely.
    You as a Triumph owner would know that at the same time as the 750/4 was slaughtering the Emglish market, the British manufacturers were building bikes on machinery that was 60 years old a worn out, etc etc.
    It WAS famous last words in the context of the fact that even when it was said, people demonstrably were NOT buying British bikes, either in England, or in their most important market, the USA. That is why it is such a poignant quote.....
  9. Yeah, but can you remember the LAST time you saw one? I reckon I see at least 3 Meriden Triumphs a week but I honestly can't recall the last time I saw a 750/4 on the road.
    (yeah yeah, I know a couple of netriders have got them).

On the subject of Famous last words, I heard this one just as I was leaving work tonight:
    "This'll make some great footage... !" :p
  10. "such is life"

ned kelly
  11. And is that your last word on the subject???
  12. Hey Titus, don't be so defensive!! The thread isn't about saying Brit bikes are bad and Japanese bikes are good. It's about that British industry official saying something that, even at the time he said it, was patently not the case, as subsequent events proved.

I was around AT THE TIME and very interested in events that were happening in the British industry, and I laughed at that comment AT THE TIME, because even from 12,000 miles away, we could see that he was 100% wrong.

It's great the the British industry managed to survive, in spite of management, and not because of it, (albeit with massive government assistance {See my reply to scooter}) but it doesn't alter the fact that it is now a minority player when at the time the statement was made, England OWNED the motorcycle market of most of the world.
  13. Hey Jason, I looked in the "M"s and you weren't there!
    You want to supply us with a pithy quote ahead of time?? :LOL: :LOL:

Then of course, there's always the "What he SHOULD have said" famous last words, and the "What he MIGHT have said....."

General Custer "What Indians???" :LOL:
  14. Your response is flawed.

"Famous last words" is in a metaphoric sense, not literal.
  15. 'either that wallpaper goes or i do'

noel cowerd
  16. Somebody's got it as there sig.
    'I can't see the need for more than 5 computers worldwide', or similar.
    The other one is along the lines of:
    'Who needs any more than 1K of memory' - Bill Gates (I can't remember, what the actual quantity of memory is).
    'What the F*** was that' - Eddie Murphy as the Mayor of Hiroshima.
  17. Thomas Watson Founder of IBM, for the first
    Gates' said he couldn't see that we'd need more than 640k of ram......

When IBM built their first PC, they planned on around 2,000 sales a year; they took orders for 20,000 in the first month.......
  18. Honda twins???

Well, they were good bikes, but not really sporting. Honda sold a raftload of them and they were the backbone of their fleet, but I've always preferred the 4's.

Honda showed that they understood that people did so in the mid 1970's by providing a choice in the 350cc class, for example, of two different twins, a 4 cylinder and several different road/trail models as well.

It's called market saturation.
  19. :LOL: it is always easy to misquote a hated man :LOL:

QUESTION: "I read in a newspaper that in l981 you said '640K of memory should be enough for anybody.' What did you mean when you said this?"

ANSWER: "I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time."

Gates goes on a bit about 16-bit computers and megabytes of logical address space, but the kid's question (will this boy never work at Microsoft?) clearly rankled the billionaire visionary.

"Meanwhile, I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again."

Silly quotations do have a way of floating like rumors.

or another quote:
    . Did you ever say, as has been widely circulated on the Internet, "640K [of RAM] ought to be enough for anybody?"
    No! That makes me so mad I can't believe it! Do you realize the pain the industry went through while the IBM PC was limited to 640K? The machine was going to be 512K at one point, and we kept pushing it up. I never said that statement–I said the opposite of that