Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

False Neutral

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Gurbachen, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi there, been having a fair bit of an issue with the RE slipping in to some kind of false neutral. It's happened most often when shifting from...5th to 4th, or maybe 4th to 3rd. Happened once when going over a particularly bad pothole too. Just kind of revs to nowhere, although it doesn't feel like true neutral. It's very...sort of vibratey or something (technical term right there) and doesn't seem to rev as high as it would in true neutral. It's due for first service very soon, but just thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this or knows the cause (don't say 'It's a Royal Enfield')

P.S. Used search function, no joy
  2. False neutrals tend to happen because it's not in gear properly in the first place. Make sure all your linkages are slop free, the chain tension is good and the swing arm doesn't have any freeplay.

Make sure you mention it when you put it in for service.
  3. Wot ibast said. Also, change gear like you mean it. It's not a Jap lightswitch.

What you call "vibratey" is probably the teeth of the dogs that should be engaged clattering over one another. Try not to let it happen as this will round off their corners and make the problem progressively worse as worn dogs can be both a cause and an effect of jumping out of gear, particularly under power.
  4. A word of warning from a newbie (speaking from experience)...

When gearing down, if you don't get it properly in gear, don't pull the clutch in and click down. You may go down more gears than you intended and lock the back wheel. Yep, it happened to me. At Broadford.
  5. Some bikes have a selector adjustment,mainly Italian in my experience.Its usually a cam that moves the selector up and down inside the case.There an absolute bastard to get right and not loose the oil,tipping the bike over so it does not spill,been at it the last couple of days.
    Another tip is make sure your lever is in the best spline possy re foot movement,dont ride in sand shoes,solid boots make a big difference.Going into Angle gear,also known as neutral or down to many gears by mistake is a far from comfortable experience
  6. Another good point. I've seen people complain no-end about how bad a bike is to ride, only to see the controls, bars, etc are set up wrong for them.
  7. Thanks for the advice guys. I do need to adjust the new heel-toe shifter I just put on, not quite in the right spot right now. It's not a chronic problem but it has happened more than a few times. See if Eurobrit can sort it out for me
  8. There's some good advice on this thread actually.

If a shift doesn't go right, change up as your next move. Don't change down. Because, a gear too high is a bit clumsy and awkward, but it's very very rarely dangerous. A gear too low, or a gear lower than you thought, that can be very dangerous.
  9. I'll try to keep that in mind :)