Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fairings or Naked?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Zaphod, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Hi,

As a newbie can anyone please tell the the advantages of riding a faired bike to a naked bike (or vice versa)? Not dropping / crashing / repairs etc but actual riding - commuting to work or a 4 hour trip to the coast for example.

2. Only ever ridden zzr250 (faired), pretty useless for your purpose since I can't compare it.

But from what I've heard naked bikes get thrown around more by wind (sounded strange to me at first), obviously weather protection from fairing, ideally keeps wind/water/cold off you, especially at highway speeds. I'm exhausted so can't think of anything else right now.
  3. yes as stated before naked bikes would get thrown around more because they do not have fairings which helps the bike `glide` through the wind :? ... the only postive thing i can think of for a naked bike is that when the weather is cold you would be nice and warm because you have no fairings which hold back the heat produced by the engine :p ... hope this helped but i am a noob 2 lol :LOL:
  4. I get less heat off my z1000 than the zx10 i rode the other week.

Naked bikes don't have as much wind protection, but they're a more upright seating position which is easier on your body.
    The ZZR is a good compromise, it's quite upright, but has the fairings for protection.
  5. I am going thru the final decision process on this at the moment. My upgrade list is down to 1 faired bike against two nakeds. i am test riding the naked neaxt friday (i hope), then it's final decision time.

You have covered the repairs aspect.

I am not sure i agree with the other guys on the wind aspect. Not being argumentative, just don't know the truth. I believed that the solid barrier presented by a faired bike to crosswinds caused it to be shoved around more, as opposed to wind mostly passing thru a naked.

Fatigue from not being protected by a screen seems, to be an issue, however i think it was Loz that suggested, on one of my ealier queries, that my 40k each way commute should not be an issue. Paul (hornet600) mentioned in a post i read yeasterday that fuel economy seems poorer without a screen. Adding a screen seems to be the way to go.

I will be watching the responses you get with interest.

Good luck.
  6. I've ridden both faired and naked and I think the wind thing is nonsense. A naked bike will suffer no worse in the wind than a faired bike, indeed if the wind is coming from the side a faired bike will suffer from it's increased surface area.

The windscreen will deflect some wind but considering they aren't that high their effectiveness is limited unless you're trying to eat the tank (although the GS500F has a decent sized screen to tuck behind). And a faired bike will deflect none of the elements, if it's raining you will get wet.

Since you can't get a proper touring bike while you are on your restrictions a naked will be just as good as the available learner faired bikes. I have a VTR250 and have done many long distance trips (Canberra -> Sydney) in all types of weather, sure I've wished I had some fairings but those wishes were for something along the lines of this:

7. I really dont think you should be basing your choice of bikes just on fairings.

Correct me if im wrong but i think there are alot more important issues to take into consideration like ride comfort, what your going to do with the bike ect ect

Obviously we each have our personal preferences. For example i like my sports bike so i would only look for a faired bike but if you dont care either way then its easy, go with what best suits you!

Just my opinion
  8. My experience with my bikes has been that my faired bikes have been better with head-winds, but the nakeds much better with cross-winds (which you encounter more often, anyway).
    Apart from the issue of style, the big thing as far as I am concerned is: how fast do you want to go?
    Faired bikes make it MUCH easier to comfortably travel at very high speed. Great for a track day, maybe not so great for your licence on the roads. I bought a naked because I felt the need to slow down a bit. I still get the sensation of speed, but now my actual speed is less.
    Another aspect is that most nakeds have higher bars, making them a more comfortable ride for most people (especially us older ones!). Depending on the model, that might also make them a bit easier to handle in tight situations.
    Downside? You actual spend more time cleaning a naked than a faired bike. As far as crashability, I suspect you'll probably do as much damage in dollar terms with a naked, so no advantage there.
  9. it really depends on what speeds you average and exactly what bikes you're talking about. I'll give you two specific bikes that I have spent many many hours on in many different conditions. Honda VT250L (Spada, basically a VTR250) and Suzuki GSX250F (Across).
    The Spada was a naked, no screen or plastic apart from the tail section. The Across has one of (if not ) the best fairing on any road 250 I have seen.

The Spada was very light, but very suseptable to side winds forcing you off line, I think this was mainly due the its weight and the speed of steering. The Spada was very agile at low speeds but at high speed this just made it harder work. In a headwind at 100 clicks I used to get down out of the wind to avoid the human drag factor, this made long trips an absolute pain. Long trips were more of a challenge than an enjoyable experience. In cold weather (0-5deg) I really struggled to keep my hands warm despite $150 gloves.

I sold the Spada and bought the Across (yeah I'm one of those crazy people that have owned 2 250's). The Across was fantastically stable at 100 clicks, the steering was slower and the general geometry was far different. The fairing was wide enough to protect my hands in the cold, I could even comfortably duck under it and stay warm at night when still in my daytime summer gear. With the Across being heavier and slower steering crosswinds weren't a huge issue, there were a few days of 70+ kmhr winds that were challenging but not tiresome. The slower steering meant that in the twisties more body weight had to be moved to get the bike to turn better, weight forward also improved things a lot.

I have test ridden a couple of ZZR's and the fairing seems good, however I haven't had the time on them to suggest they are as good or any better than the Across *shrugs*

If I were buying a bike that I was going to ride at or above 80 clicks for extended periods of time I would always go faired, if even only semi (SV style. mmmmm).
  10. Think they are great myself...easier to keep clean (on the surface)...but not taking into account repairs? I would, even if you don't drop it, other factors like people knocking it over and cats running across the road :evil:

I'd go for fairing free just for the ease and comfort. They are a little more maintenance, but great for learning how to maintain a bike since you don't have to remove panels and stuff.
  11. Faired bikes:

- better aerodynamics at high speed
    - better protection in the wet and cold
    - very expensive to replace after a slide
    - trap engine heat and can push it onto your legs, which can be uncomfortable on a hot day.
    - usually come with clip-on handlebars, which are not as comfortable to most people as raised bars.
    - Catch a side-wind more; you get blown sideways more easily.

- Less wind protection means you feel like you're going faster at slower speeds: good for license, not so good for racetrack
    - lighter, particularly in the front = easier wheelies
    - usually have a more upright riding position = easier wheelies plus comfy for most people plus better vision in traffic
    - raised bars: wider, better leverage, much better low-speed tight handling (ie. changing lanes while lane-splitting)
    - easier to work on

I'm a naked bike fan, but I own a faired bike right now, in the spirit of open-mindedness. All bikes are awesome, except hyosungs.
  12. :rofl:
  13. Dude im a newbiw and i brought a brand new VTR250 .. its a naked and i just love it... I have been on long rides and have not had any problems with the wind that i wudnt have on a say CBR250.. people are always going on about the wind etc etc .. but the wind doesnt only come from front on it comes side ways as well and regardless of what bike your on you feel then wind.. also being on a naked on your L's is much better when it comes time to get your P's because of the control and turning circle on a naked is generally much better than a faired bike.. well thats just my 2 cents worth :)
  14. For commuting there is bugger all difference - the wind isnt bad enough to get sore arms for commuting and short trips.

better visibility dont have to see past the fairing when pulling a wheelie :D
    less weight = better Acceleration (well at least up to "go to jail speeds")
    virtually no side buffeting
    Much cheaper to maintain and service

If you do touring then it's different - I know my shoulder is hurting after todays ride (naked bike, few hours ride at some reasonable country speeds).

you can get a headlight shroud type mini fairing like the ducati s4 monsters used... they're a good compromise.
  15. I went for a naked because I liked the look and engineering of the Spada; and one came up, it was cheap, and cheap to fix after a drop...really I don't think you'll find a big difference on your learners though. If you're on the open road a lot of the time, fairings will be your friend. More important is finding a bike that fits right, seating position, size, etc. IMHO :)
  16. despite all pros and cons of each style of bike, i think it just comes down to personal preference.

personally i ride cbr250rr.. but sorta wishing it was a vtr or hornet right now. :?
  17. I've owned a couple of naked bikes and several with fairings, one full fairing, one half fairing and 2 bikini fairings. So here's some thoughts that floated up into my consciousness . . . .

The fairings all redirected wind from the chest area, taller fairings did the same for the head. The faired bikes were noticeably quieter. No wind on the chest meant more pressure on the wrists on the sportier bikes. This only effected longer runs.

The fully faired bike made wet weather riding really easy and almost dry. On the naked you get very wet, and very uncomfortable in the rain unless you have the full wet weather gear.

Make sure that you can see over the top of the fairing in the normal riding position for the bike. High speed vibrations will often cause thousands of small cracks to appear in the clear plastic and make it impossible to see through. So will really large dead bugs.

In a low speed crash where I rear ended a car (he had REALLY good brakes) after a pedestrian stepped out in front of him, I hit the fairing top at chest height. If I was a couple of inches shorter it would have got me across the throat.